• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

lol, I've been feeling this way on Sundays. I feel like I'm getting a little apathetic in some ways. At church, since it's difficult to understand what is being said, I usually end up playing with my ipod during the service rather than just sit there and not understand anything for half an hour to 45 minutes, which is extremely hard for an ADD person. lol Then after the afternoon service, everyone splits into groups of men, women, and youth to discuss what they learned and everyone has to say something. Last week, I wasn't feeling well and didn't want to say anything(I'm not one to share what's in my heart much by nature) but the pastor's daughter(who I used to be very close to) kept pushing me to say something which made me feel worse and not want to say something even more. Eventually, she just said that she would pray for me, which made me feel awkward, especially since all the youth were there which made me even more uncomfortable with the whole situation. This week, I got up and went out to the bathroom and then walked around outside the service area to avoid her, which made me feel bad, too. I think maybe since I don't have anyone to really talk to me and encourage me spiritually, it has made me more uncomfortable about being open about my spiritual feelings, which is hard for me to begin with. Usually, I just end up going to church to be with my friends, which makes me feel guilty. :sad

Anyway, in a nutshell. :frog

• Members

I've been in similar situations (not with not being able to understand the pastor, but with him not saying anything worth listening too), and it does make one uncomfortable and awkward.

We all need Christian friends and help. I don't really have anyone around here anymore to be close with which is one of the reasons OB is such a blessing. And like you, I don't just naturally open up to just anybody.

We can take this to the Lord and trust Him to provide the solution. :pray

• Members

Yes, that is true. I have good Christian friends but I can't benefit as much when they are talking about spiritual things after a service because of my limited understanding(which gets worse when you start talking about things related to the Bible, where more uncommon words are used). Unfortunately, much of the spiritual conversation outside of church takes place only among the girls. All of the girls are on the praise team, so they have meetings every now and then, such as today. The cell leaders are all girls, as well, since none of the guys are at a place spiritually where they could lead. Of course, me not being able to speak fluently and not being available during the week due to work, I can't have that role either. Thus, when the girls are having a meeting, the guys all go and hang out somewhere, like today we all went to a pc room and did online gaming for an hour and a half. :frog

• Members

kevin when I was in Belize I went to a couple of services - they were great, but they were in Kriole! That is a mixture of Indian, Spanish, french, and just enough English so that you might understand every other word that is said. Rather than sit there and goof off during the sermon, I read my Bible. I can understand that better than I can understand the preacher. Then after the service was over we were invited to a family dinner - it was all simply wonderful! The food was Kriole/native foods, but I learned about beans and rice cooked in coconut milk, and how to make fried plaintains - yummy!

I would suggest that you introduce a fellowship your new Korean friends - that involves food, and fellowship, and find some common ground with these folks.

• Members

Yes, that's not a bad idea Janet.

If we keep our eyes open, the Lord will show us the way.

When I transferred to a different university with a pitiful nearby church and didn't know anyone there it was tough. Eventually the Lord brought me together with one, then another good Christian. We became friends, would meet in the park for Bible discussions, and general fellowship and friendship. We started jogging together, myself and one of the would sometimes walk the track in the evening practicing Bible memory verses.

That ended up working out great for all three of us, especially since there wasn't a really good church close enough for us to attend. We ended up going a little farther away than we would have preferred so we could attend a Church of Christ where the pastor always preached on getting our hearts right with God (never once while we attended did he preach on any of their odd doctrines).