• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

Yes it was! I also enjoyed attending the ladies teas. We made old fashioned snickerdoodle cookies, and fresh squeezed lemonade for the big event. everyone brought their antique teacup and saucer so we could sit and sip our tea and eat our cookies - it was a real life dress up tea party!

• Members

I love it when the reenacting ladies are really into what they are doing. Some carry themselves in such a way, even their facial expressions and eye movements seem to convey a time long gone. In such a way, they each look beautiful and dignified; noble even.

• Members

All I know is that there is indeed a transformation when you put on the clothes. I wore many many layers - silk stockings, long legged bloomers, whale-boned corset, a chemise over that, then a petticoat, and the hoopskirt, and then the over the hoop petticoat, then the daydress that covers you from your chin to your ankles. You wear mitts on your hand to protect them from the sun. Then you top it off with a day cap, and a straw bonnet tied with a big bow. You have to stand very straight and tall in order to hold the clothing properly and when you wear high button boots you have to step out a certain way in order not to trip. When it is much over 80' all you can do is look for a shady spot to sit and stay cool. I was a camp seamstress, so I spent a good deal of my time with a split oak woven sewing basket under my arm or in my lap, while I sewed handstiched cotton shirts for the "troops." My children were little then, and they would play in the the puddles and make up their own little games whilst I did my sewing.

If you have ever seen the movie "Gettysburg" I have about 100 of my cotton shirts out there on the field during the big battle.

• Members

That's very cool IM! I'll have to check for those shirts the next time I watch. :lol:

I've always noticed the ladies wearing those outfits have a similar bearing to them. Of course, some carry themselves very naturally like that while others seem to be working at it more, but they all have that special bearing.

• Members

It's the corset! The most authentic looking ladies wear those tightly laced corsets - it actually makes it easier to carry the hoops when you have the corset on. If you see any ladies with blue faces, then you'll know they are laced too tightly.

:tease: I am glad you are back from your vacation!

• Members

Those ladies who look so natural wearing all that are really a marvel.

Not a real "vacation", but it's good to be back. I've been busy with work stuff and helping my Dad who had surgery on his wrist and elbow. He's got another week to go before the cast comes off and he can't do much with his right arm in the cast and his left hand not used to doing very much.

• Members

They said they were Christians, but I rather doubt it. They twisted every single thing I ever said and turned it into something baaaaaaaaad including anytime I said I was praying for them! They even claimed I was raising their blood pressure and causing them physical distress!

• Members

Unfortunately, I know what you are talking about because I've been on such forums before. I've been accused of being a "hater" for quoting the KJV or for quoting "great" past Christians or even early Americans! :roll: