• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

My Grandma cooked great and she always cooked a lot. My Mom had to spend a few days in the hospital for surgery when I was young and Grandma came over in the morning before school and made breakfast. Here I was used to having a bowl of cereal and Grandma comes in making eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes.

Grandma had five children, three boys and two girls, and I guess she got used to cooking big meals and that's how she always cooked.

• Members

You can start an all out bar room brawl if you ask a room full of Aussies if these should be very crispy or soft and chewy.  Adjust cooking time to your taste...I prefer them softer.  I also prefer to use toasted coconut, and I use 1/2 cup of white sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar instead of 1 C of brown.

These were made by the wives to send as care packages to the ANZAC troops serving in Gallipoli during WW I.  Popular because they could be made without eggs (restricted because of war time rationing) and did not spoil easily and could be transported by sea well.  

ANZAC Biscuits

• 1 cup quick cooking oats

• 1 cup all-purpose flour

• 1 cup dry unsweetened shredded coconut

• 1 cup brown sugar

• 2 teaspoons ground ginger

• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

• 2 tablespoons boiling water

• 1/2 cup butter

• 1 tablespoon golden syrup

• PREP

15 mins
  • COOK

15 mins
  • READY IN

30 mins
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 2 baking sheets. Mix quick oats, flour, coconut, brown sugar, and ginger in a bowl. With your fingers, make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
  2. Dissolve the baking soda in boiling water. In a small saucepan, melt the butter, and stir in the golden syrup to combine. Pour in the dissolved baking soda, and pour the mixture into the well in the dry ingredients. Stir lightly until just combined; drop by rounded tablespoon about 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until the cookies are golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
Edited by 2bLikeJesus

• Members

When I was a kid we often had home made biscuits that were amazing. The recipe is in a very old falling apart Betty Crocker cook book. Next time I go to my parents house I'll try to find the recipe. Haven't had them in years, now I want some! haha! 

• Members
Ingredients

cups  flour
tablespoon sugar
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon salt
1/2
cup shortening, butter or margarine
3/4
cup milk

Directions
Heat the oven to 450°F. In a medium bowl, stir the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until mixed. Cut in the shortening using a pastry blender or fork, until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Stir in the milk until mixture forms a soft dough and leaves the side of the bowl (dough will be soft and sticky).
Lightly sprinkle flour over a cutting board or countertop. Place dough on floured surface; gently roll in the flour to coat. To knead dough, fold dough toward you. With the heels of your hands, lightly push dough away from you with a short rocking motion. Move dough a quarter turn and repeat 10 times. Dough will feel springy and smooth.
On the floured surface, flatten dough evenly, using hands or a rolling pin, until dough is 1/2 inch thick.
Before cutting each biscuit, dip a 2 1/2-inch round cutter into flour to lightly coat it so it will cut cleanly through the dough without sticking. To cut, push the cutter straight down through the dough without twisting or turning. Cut the biscuits as close together as possible. On an ungreased cookie sheet, place biscuits about 1 inch apart for biscuits with crusty sides, or place with sides touching for biscuits with soft sides.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Serve warm.

I do not kneed the dough, I just dump it out into a big ball and flatten it with my hands ti about 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick and flour a glass and cut them out.

Also I like to add a goodly amount of shredded medium cheddar cheese and stir it in the dough.

I usually serve it with stews or stroganoff or even with chili.  My favorite with chili is sweet corn bread,

Ingredients 
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

• 1 cup cornmeal

• 1/4 cup white sugar

• 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

• 1/2 teaspoon salt

• 1 egg, lightly beaten

•       1 1/3 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted

I pour a little peanut oil in to the pan I will use in the oven and get the pan hot. Then I pour the peanut oil from that pan into the cornbread mixture and stir it in,  Then pour mixture into already coated and heated pan in oven and bake @ 400 degree for 20 to 25 ninutes until atoothpick stuck in comes out clean

• Members

Ban HC because "meal" which would include oats and corn, is indeed in biscuits.  

Genesis 18:6 (KJV)
6  And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes upon the hearth. 

Oops!  Wrong thread.

• Members

Ban the lot of you because biscuits are not scones or dumplings, they are biscuits.
You guys all talk funny and use funny names for things..... :lol:

You dunk biscuits in coffee, you don't have the with stew or Chilli.

You have an engine under the bonnet of your car - a hood is what little red has on her coat.
A trunk is what you store winter clothes in not the boot of a car where you load things like trunks and cases to take them somewhere else......

I dunno bout yoose guys - wish you would learn to speak proper like.
:lol: