• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

Actually, I am an average cook John.  My husband is a far better cook than I.  He loves to cook b/c he always has a certain taste for something.  He comes from an ethnic family, and loves those rich Hungarian foods.  You know, those foods that you love but don't love you b/c they are filled with many calories?  Anyway, he can eat them and not gain a pound.  Although, I must say that he weighs more now, than he did before we were married.  However, he doesn't need to watch his caloric intake like I do.  I still cook, but I cook on low calorie diet.  I love fish, and he doesn't.  Therefore, I cook fish for me and breaded pork chops for him.

Old habits are hard to break, though.  Four out of his five brothers are married.  They also enjoy cooking b/c they are used to rich foods.  He has one brother that is just like him when it comes to cooking.  They complain if it isn't cooked like their mom would cook it.  LOL!  I have learned in the beginning of our marriage, to let him plan the menu.  Oh, and he is also in control of the T.V.  That is not my domain.  ;)  

• Members

If someone takes the time to make sure there are no eggshells in their food, that puts them at least a bit above average!

I mostly like simple food so it's pretty easy to cook a meal I'll eat.

My wife would probably be called an "average" cook too, but that works out fine since we don't eat anything fancy or exotic. She does try some new recipes from time to time and that can be interesting, for better or worse! :icon_smile:

• Members

Thanks, John.  I enjoy simple food, as well.  My son will eat anything, too.  Joe lived with his parents until he was married, so it is hard for him to not forget his mother's cooking.  Some Sunday's we go over to my in laws home for an afternoon lunch, too.  I just watch what I eat.  My problem is sweets.  I love them.  I have to remind myself that an apple or pear is better than ice cream.   ;)

I did a lot of cooking when I was growing up, b/c my mom went back to work when I was in the fifth grade.  My dad started his own business, and he enjoyed preparing meals with me.  I loved to cook and experiment.  He was a cook in the Army, so he started with dishes he prepared in the kitchen, while stationed in Germany during the Korean war.  He started making a variety of dishes from watching cooking shows on T.V.  I can make those dishes, but Joe doesn't like them.  Joe loves his home cooked food with a Hungarian twist.   ;)  I like variety and will venture into something that we have never eaten before.  I still can't get him to eat Sushi, though.   :biggrin: 

But, yeah, all in all... I am an average cook.

Edited by candlelight

• Members

When I was growing up my Mom and Dad both worked so I learned to cook young. Once I was a little older and didn't need a babysitter anymore I was tasked with watching my younger sister and cooking our meals, washing the dishes and other assorted chores. Sometimes I would even start supper so it would be close to finished when Dad got home.

I'm probably an average cook too, but the things I do cook, they come out good.

I don't want to try Sushi either!

• Members

And, we turned out just fine didn't we John?  By today's standards Social Services would come in and take us from the home for being worked too much.  I loved being a help to my parents.  It taught me a lot at a very young age.  I can cook a variety of different meals and they turn out just fine.  My mom called me my sister's "Second Mother."  At times, I wasn't too happy having her tag along, but I did it anyway.

Lots of people don't like Sushi.  My son introduced me to it several years back.  His dad loves to eat at fancy restaurants, and he would try various kinds of foods.  Thankfully, he is not a picky eater.  My husband, on the other hand, can't seem to break away from his Hungarian roots.  LOL

• Members

It's amazing today just how many young men, and even a good many young women, can't cook! Their idea of cooking is popping something in the microwave, or maybe a frozen pizza in the oven.

I've known of youth graduating high school who had never cooked a meal, never had to do any chores at all. Their mothers did all the cooking for them, took care of cleaning their rooms, took care of all their laundry, and the mom and dad did all the chores around the house. Then their kids go off to college and are lost without someone around to do anything for them. Or worse yet, they get married and their new spouse either can't believe how they are or they are just like them!

I'm glad I grew up with chores (didn't always like them at the time!) and parents who expected me to learn stuff and help out around the house.

• Members

It's amazing today just how many young men, and even a good many young women, can't cook! Their idea of cooking is popping something in the microwave, or maybe a frozen pizza in the oven.

I've known of youth graduating high school who had never cooked a meal, never had to do any chores at all. Their mothers did all the cooking for them, took care of cleaning their rooms, took care of all their laundry, and the mom and dad did all the chores around the house. Then their kids go off to college and are lost without someone around to do anything for them. Or worse yet, they get married and their new spouse either can't believe how they are or they are just like them!

I'm glad I grew up with chores (didn't always like them at the time!) and parents who expected me to learn stuff and help out around the house.

I agree, John.  Lots of young people have no idea how to cook or even clean.  Their parents have done everything for them, their entire lives. They go off to college or get married after high school and the spouse is left to carry the load of work in the marriage.

I am very thankful that my husband's parents taught him how to do various chores around the house at a young age.  However, in today's society, if the child psychologists get wind of something, they will accuse parents of child abuse or neglect.  

I am even surprised at my nieces and nephews, on my husband's side of the family.  At Christmas it is amazing all the gifts they get.  They expect it.  They are even included in the "White Elephant" exchange for the adults.  This year, I am going to say something.  When I was growing up, I got two gifts for Christmas.  One big gift, usually a doll or my dad made furniture that helped me to learn how to be a good wife and parent.  The second gift was small.  Usually, a puzzle or something equivalent to that.  A board game, like Monopoly or The Game of Life.  Today, the kids have their noses pinned in IPods, IPhones and other video games.  It's no wonder they have no idea how to cook or clean.  This should be taught at a young age.  It's called responsibility.   

Edited by candlelight

• Administrators

candle - I do use vinegar for my acid reflux. I know it is supposed to help arthritis, but I've not had great results in that area from it. I do use black cherry juice and that helps...but this cold still acts it up.

I love to cook when I have time.  :icon_smile:

• Members

candle - I do use vinegar for my acid reflux. I know it is supposed to help arthritis, but I've not had great results in that area from it. I do use black cherry juice and that helps...but this cold still acts it up.

I love to cook when I have time.  :icon_smile:

Okay.  I wasn't sure if you knew about it.  Hmmm.  Black cherry juice?  That's a new one for me.  Thanks.

Time is an important factor when cooking.  Thankfully, I have the time.

• Members

I collect recipes and then wish I could try them.  :biggrin:  So does my hubby.   There are times that I am able to cook some interesting things.  And my hubby does love being the guinea pig for my experiments. :nuts:

I have many recipes, too, HC.  I have a lot of cookbooks, as well.  It is fun to experiment.  My husband doesn't like to be a guinea pig, though.  He even admitted to my sister in Christ, you know the one who lives near WV, that he is really picky about what he eats.  She said, I have quite a task.  Her husband will eat anything. Like I stated. he has a brother that is the same way.  My SIL is in the same boat as me.  :)

• Administrators

I have many recipes, too, HC.  I have a lot of cookbooks, as well.  It is fun to experiment.  My husband doesn't like to be a guinea pig, though.  He even admitted to my sister in Christ, you know the one who lives near WV, that he is really picky about what he eats.  She said, I have quite a task.  Her husband will eat anything. Like I stated. he has a brother that is the same way.  My SIL is in the same boat as me.   :)

I feel for you.  My hubby will eat anything. I remember a neighbor who moved in next to us one time was telling me that her hubby didn't like tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc.  I wondered what in the world she could fix him!  :eye: