• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

Wow, & for most new years eve is all about getting drunk, so I suppose most will get drunk & the liquor people will make a killing off of the drunks, while many of the drunks kills people on our highways.

I recall a new years eve I was headed home from the Air Force. Along a long strait highway between West Memphis & Little Rock a bit after midnight, I saw a set of headlights coming towards me. The closer they got the more they seemed to be coming right at me. Finally when we met they were on my side coming right towards me.

I thought about going to their side of the highway but feared if I did they would follow me back to their side & they woudl say its my fault.

Instead I kept getting further & further off the highways yet they seemed to be following me. I went completely into the ditch & they swerved sliding around a bit finally getting back on the highway & off they went at a high rate of speed.

Thankfully the ditch was one of those slopping ditches & there was nothing in my way & I made it back on the highway, them pulled over, got out & did a bit of walking to settle my nerves.

Yet there for a moment I though it was all over for me, I suppose that car load of people were enjoying their drunken celebration. I will never forget that New Year morning, I believe it was 1966-67.

• Members

Praise God for His divine protection!

I try to stay in on New Years Eve. When I was younger I had to be out more often, but not now so I stay put.

I never did get how it could seem fun to get drunk, act stupid, do stupid things, get sick and hardly remember what had went on.

No, I prefer to keep my wits about me.

The last New Years Eve "party" I attended was a get together at my daughter and her husbands house, with my sister and her husband and children. We played games, drank some tea or coke, sat around and talked, some played some video games, and that was it.

• Members

While my extended family is now dead or scattered, my immediate family is still close. My daughter, sister, Dad, and oldest niece (and their families) all live within a quarter mile of my house. That's a real blessing.

My grandparents are long since passed, several of my uncles have passed, one uncle still lives near here, an aunt about a half hour away, the others are far away; as are all but one of my cousins.

Most family get togethers these days revolve around my daughter getting us all together for my grandkids birthdays. Christmas and sometimes New Years it's just those of us close by.

• Moderators

I just recently discovered what 'lake effect snow' was. The funny thing?  What the US calls lake effect, Canada calls a snow squall. Not that I knew what either was, being a Westerner. Just thought the different terminology was rather amusing.