• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

Will be spending most of the morning at the hospital with my wife. She has several pre-op things to do today; some pre-op class, a meeting with a nurse, and an x-ray, EKG and blood tests. They said all this will take about 3 hours...or more.

Then I have to take her to our family doctor in the afternoon for a pre-op check-up so she can be cleared for surgery Thursday.

What kind of surgery?

When I had the scope thing on the south end I had 4 of them things, can't remember what they're called, 3 were removed, could not do the 4th one, having to have surgery for it to be removed sometime, don't know when they will do it. The 3 removed were not cancer.

After my wife's 3rd back surgery, being as she turned 65 she retired. It helped, but like most back surgeries its not a cure all.

• Members

What kind of surgery?

When I had the scope thing on the south end I had 4 of them things, can't remember what they're called, 3 were removed, could not do the 4th one, having to have surgery for it to be removed sometime, don't know when they will do it. The 3 removed were not cancer.

After my wife's 3rd back surgery, being as she turned 65 she retired. It helped, but like most back surgeries its not a cure all.

She's having a total left knee replacement. We spent over four hours at the hospital today for the pre-op stuff.

The surgery is Thursday. She has to be there 2 hours before surgery time. Then the surgery is to take about 3 hours, then recovery time after surgery before they move her to her room where she will be for 3 or 4 days.

Today was a LONG day, and Thursday will seem like a very LONG day.

• Members

John, wish you did not mentioned clothes dryer trouble. we had it today, & now have a new clothes dryer.

Did you get yours going?

Still using the clothes line. I'm hoping to have someone look at our dryer next week. I'm glad you have a new dryer. The last time we had  a dryer go out I had the money on hand and went right out and bought a new one. This dryer isn't that old and I think it can be repaired.

My wife has to be at the hospital at 5:35 in the morning, the surgery should be about 2 hours after that. Tomorrow will seem like a long day.

• Members

What LONG day at the hospital but so much to be thankful for!

The surgery actually took less time than they thought it might and it all went very good. My wife recovered faster and was looking and feeling better much sooner after this operation than she did after her day surgery operations. Praise God she even had an apatite and ate a full noontime meal.

Naturally her knee hurts and there is a lot more to go through, but I praise God for all the wonderful blessings today and those I'm sure He will bestow during the rest of this time of rehab and recovery.

• Members

What LONG day at the hospital but so much to be thankful for!

The surgery actually took less time than they thought it might and it all went very good. My wife recovered faster and was looking and feeling better much sooner after this operation than she did after her day surgery operations. Praise God she even had an apatite and ate a full noontime meal.

Naturally her knee hurts and there is a lot more to go through, but I praise God for all the wonderful blessings today and those I'm sure He will bestow during the rest of this time of rehab and recovery.

Because of personal experience I know that in the days to come you will get plenty of exercise!

Pray & hope all keeps going well.

• Members

My son and I did some rearranging earlier so things will be ready when my wife comes home. We moved the love seat and put a chair in its place of the sort they said she should sit in. Moved some things to make wider areas for walking because we don't know yet if she will need a walker for awhile or a cane. Ready to set up aids in the bathroom if she needs them.

I did the shopping today and bought several quick and simple things for us. The dishes and laundry is all taken care of, the floors swept and vacuumed.

If I keep going like this, I'll be too wore out to be of much help when she does get home!

She looked very good when I visited her today. She did well getting out of the bed and using a walker to move to the chair to sit in for her noontime meal. She ate all the food they brought her.

At the moment they are thinking perhaps she may be ready to come home sometime Sunday, but it's possible they will wait until Monday to release her. Then I'll have to go to the pharmacy and pick up all her medicines, then load all her stuff in the car, including whatever medical equipment she needs, and finally get her loaded into the car.

It will be good to have my wife back home. Even though my youngest son is here, it's still lonely with my wife not here.

• Members

What I dislike about hospitals is the food!

Once back in the 70's, while hauling bulk cement, one morning at Benton, AR, while unloading I had a big problem & cement got blown into bout of my eyes. This was at about 4:00 AM in the morning. I could not see one single thing. I manged to get to my truck & bring my engine down to idle. Them I tried to make my way to where I knew there was a water faucet, thinking I might be able to wash it out of my eyes. I got to it, but it did not good.

After that I really did not know which way to go, so i set down on the ground, & just set there. At 6:30 the plant operator pulled in, saw my ruck door open, them saw me setting over by the water faucet, & instantly knew something was wrong. he took me to the ER at Benton Hospital, but they sent me to Little Rock to a new hospital called, Doctors Hospital.

That is the only hospital I have ever been in that had GREAT food. They fed me well & it was yummy, kind of like home cooking.

When they got all the cement out of my eyes they told me as soon as I could see again they would release me, 7 days later I still could not see yet they released me to go home. I had to make 3 trips each week back to my doctor. After about the 3rd week, & we were on our way back home I told Linda, "They 1st said they would not release me till my sight came back, 7 days later they released me yet I could not see. Each time I come to my doctor he tells me by the next time I see him my sight will be back. yet its not back yet. Do you believe him?"

I believe it was in the 6th or 7th week one morning I got up & when I opened my eyes everything was clear as a bell. Prior to that everything was just a big blur & I could not make out anyone's face standing 3 foot from them. Wow was there happiness in our house that morning!

John, just hang in there. It'll me much effort on your part yet well worth it. Prayers for you & family.

• Members

Your prayers are greatly appreciated!

I've never had hospital food I cared for, but the hospital my wife is in is actually known to have good food. My wife is eating everything they bring her! That's good, because the stuff I've had in hospitals wasn't very tasty.

We will find out later today if they are going to release her this afternoon or keep her one more day. She is doing very well. I've been spending much time in thanksgiving to God.

Last night I put the toilet riser on, or whatever they are called, they add about 3 inches to the height of the toilet, and this one has handles on the sides, to help my wife get on and off the toilet while her knee heals.

When she gets ready to come home we will still have to load up her walker, cane, grabber, boot sock and stuff. I've rearranged some things in the house but will probably have to do a few minor arrangements after she gets home and we see how things go. I may have to drive through the yard to our back door which only has two steps unless she feels she can handle the four steps to the front door.

It's been a long week for us all. The hospital is 30 miles away so there is that; then walking across their big parking lot and her room is way back so an even longer walk in the building. Yet it's all worth it to see her doing so well and enjoy the blessings of God.

• Members

I got to bring my wife home today!!! She's been home for a  couple hours now. Now she's laying down to take a nap, she didn't get much sleep in the hospital.

It will be a challenge for her to get around the house with the walker. These old houses were built before people used such things and the doorways are a bit too narrow for the walker.

We are very thankful to our Lord as we've seen His hand at work in many ways during this time!