• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

I agree with that, but I also realise that it is easy for me to say it when our winter only just gets below 0° c a few mornings a year, and snow and ice are unheard of here.
So we don't really ever get cold.

I read an article in County magazine, this husband & wife went camping with the temp down below 0 with everything snow covered. WOW!

• Members

I know a couple of guys who take their families tenting in the mountains of Victoria during snow season.
I have always found tents to be warm no matter what the weather - but as I said, over here "cold" might be a couple below 0°c, and clear skies.
When it rains here it rarely gets that cold, and it just doesn't snow.

• Members

The cold didn't bother me much when I was younger but I can't take it like I used to.

Not true for me. Cold mronings was tough one me. I remember when I was young my room was on the very back of our house. In cold weather when we went to bed every fire was turned off. We had space heaters & used butane. No matter how low the temp got there was no heat left on. During that time I had a feather mattress, with several quilts piled on top of me. Sunk down in that feather mattress, with all of those quilts piled on, I could not sleep on my back. All of those quilts were to heavy for my toes.

I had a linoleum floor, on those cold mornings my feet were uncontrollable, the moment they hit that cold floor they would automatically pop right back up under the cover.  :icon_smile: 

I recall a few morning when one of us left water in a glass in the kitchen the next morning the glass would be broken because of the frozen water.

• Members

72 to 75 winter, summer about 75 to 78.

Heating oil sounds strange to me, none that I know of throughout this area has ever used it. Most use natural gas, propane, or electricity.

When I was young it was butane, we had a 500 gallon underground tank. In modern times its propane. Which in years gone by those that lived in the rural country side did not have access to natural gas. I don't remember the year  but I believe it was in the 70's, they started putting natural gas lines though many of the rural areas. Natural gas is generally cheaper than heating with propane & anyone that has access to it will usually switch over.

I believe it was in the early 70's that many homes were built being all electric, using electric heat furnaces. Now day many of them have gone with heat pumps which are quite cheaper to heat with. The heat pump will have back up, or emergency electric heat strips. They will kick in when the temps gets to low for the heat pump. But that does not happen to often in our area. Usually even at 32 our heat pump will still keep our house heated.

When we switched to heat pump in about 94 our electric bill took a major drop of about $100.00 per month.

• Members

When it rains here the roads get very messy - mostly because people here have no idea on the roads. They either spend the whole time sliding the cars like hoons (hotrodders?) Or driving at half the speed limit because they are afraid.....

I would hate to see what would happen if it did snow here - carnage all over the road......

I had to mention it, didn't I..........

Yesterday it was Raining in the morning - as a result of the ensuing panic - people here really do panic when it Rains here - it took me 2hours 10 mins to get to work - an hour longer than normal.
Oh yeah - top temp was 39° c, so a few degrees above 100, but the rain was long gone by then. Unusual for us to get rain like that in a summer storm - happens, but normally these storms are just lightning and thunder.