• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

In Sunday school we are in Revelation and the tribulations.

No one never knows from one Sunday to the next what my message will be on, at present time I don't know what next Sundays message will be.

It must be tough as a pastor trying to figure out what in the world you're supposed to preach. My pastor teaches expository messages from a book of the Bible on Wednesday nights, and sometimes Sunday nights, but all other sermons are random.

• Members

It must be tough as a pastor trying to figure out what in the world you're supposed to preach. My pastor teaches expository messages from a book of the Bible on Wednesday nights, and sometimes Sunday nights, but all other sermons are random.

Not really, of course there has been a few times that I was running out of time before it finally dawned on me what the subject ought to be. I have never had a planned series. Although one time a long time back I had been hitting a subject each Sunday morning building up to my sermon to be given on Passover Sunday. A member of our church whose late husband was my pastor when I was saved at about 15 years of age, I'm not 63, made a comment, "I feel with the issues you've been proclaiming each Sunday morning that your leading up to a special sermon for a Sunday morning very soon." I suppose she was the only one who noticed this, I just smiled and said, "Perhaps you will soon know if your correct or not.

Now this is only what I believe is right for me. I do not like series of sermons on the same subject. I understand well that many pastors plan a series of sermons. If they want to do this and they feel its right, that's OK with me. But I feel perfectly at ease by coming up with a new topic for each of my sermons, I feel if I planed a series that I would miss out on the leading of the Holy Spirit in guiding me to preach on the topic he would have me to on that particular Sunday.

1Co 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

No doubt about it, Paul was letting the Holy Spirit lead him, today I fear many go on their own and do not give the opportunity for the Holy Spirit to guide them on the topic of their messages.

I'm going to give few examples of the things that the Holy Spirit wants to do for us and our local church.

Inspire the worship. Phil. 3:3; Jn 4:24
Direct missionaries work. Acts 8:29; 13:2,4; 16:6,6,10
To aid in our singing service. Eph. 5:18-19
Appoint its preachers. Acts 20:28
Warn its members. 1 Tim. 4:1
Desires to determine its decisions. Acts 15:28

• Members

All the rain and warm nights really has the grass growing; it's needing cut again!

With a holiday weekend coming up I better make sure we get our shopping done today, make a trip to the bank and then cut the grass.

The cops sure have been thick the past couple days. Guess they are warming up for this weekend.

• Members

It's getting close to time for church. I'm so thankful for a faithful pastor and a good church for us to attend. Such is even a more clear blessing at times such as this when we have heavy hearts.

So true John, but for some, in such times as this, they abandon church and God.