• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

Most of the vacations we went on were when I was young, prior to when my maternal grandfather passed away. After he passed away all those extended family vacations, weekends at the river, and holidays at Grandma and Grandpa's ended.

Beyond the family togetherness, little really sticks out about that time.

• Members

My Dad was always very physical, very much a hard worker and outdoors man. Sadly, he now has heart trouble and his lungs are bad so we can no longer enjoy hunting together. I had always looked forward to having sons and all of us going hunting together but that can't happen now.

• Members

I am sorry to hear that your Dad has heart trouble and unable to enjoy the activities that you had previously shared together. For this very reason we try to enjoy each day he has given us and make full use of each opportunity that HE provides...my Dad is 73 going on 74 next month and we too do not know how many more opportunites that we may have to all hunt together.

This is a photo of my hubby with one of the harvested deer taken during our week of hunting, while using our muskets.

barry16ib.th.jpg

On Dec. 21 2005 my son asked me to go out bow hunting with him after he got off of work. I was sitting in one area and my son in another when this large deer came out. I thought it was a doe. I slowly raised my bow and took the shot.....the deer ran back into the marshy area and I sat quietly not wanting to disturb anything that may have come out into view for my son. At dusk we followed the tracks and found my deer....I was surprised that in fact it was a buck that had already dropped it's antlers and it was a huge one at that. Notice in the photo wear I am standing. I am 5'7" and the deer is towering over me. My husband was quite impressed when we came home with it and needless to say, we have lots of deer meat and have shared it with our family members.

mrbuck4jpgedit5xw.th.jpg

• Members

Wow, now that's great!

My Dad used to hunt just about everything: rabbit squirrel, racoon, deer, quail, pheasant, etc. The first two years he and Mom were married they mostly lived off what Dad hunted.

We used to hunt mushrooms every spring as well.

And Dad loved to fish too!

• Members

Wow, now that's great!

My Dad used to hunt just about everything: rabbit squirrel, racoon, deer, quail, pheasant, etc. The first two years he and Mom were married they mostly lived off what Dad hunted.

We used to hunt mushrooms every spring as well.

And Dad loved to fish too!

Your family sounds very much like our own, :D

My parents also provided much of our food that way and still to this day, eat much the same way. I came from a family of six children so there were many mouths to feed and Dad did an excellent job of providing for us.
My Dad is a commerical fisherman so we too had plenty of fish to eat... :D

• Members

Us too, and we all enjoy eating wild game to this day! Funny how you mention wild game to some folks and they turn their nose up at it because a person hunted it and processed it themselves but think nothing of going to the grocery store to purchase meat. I have always found that to be funny!

• Members

Funny how you mention wild game to some folks and they turn their nose up at it because a person hunted it and processed it themselves but think nothing of going to the grocery store to purchase meat. I have always found that to be funny!

It is funny, Sue. People are funny. :mrgreen: I haven't had too much wild game in my life so far, and I didn't grow up with a lot of it around. Every so often one of my uncles would visit and go hunting (by himself, since my dad wasn't into that). I remember he brought back a pheasant and my mom cooked it. I guess she didn't know too much about how to prepare wild game, because I didn't like it very much. I've had venison chili, cooked by someone from our church, and also some venison sausage. Those were actually pretty good. But I didn't grow up hunting or fishing. Now that I've gone fishing, I love it! There is just nothing in the world like catching your own fish, cooking it and eating it! :mrgreen: I think this year my husband and I will do some freshwater fishing, now that we have all-water licenses. The catfish and trout you get in the Gulf (of Mexico) isn't that great (to put it mildly). The seatrout is OK, but the kind of catfish that swims in the Gulf is a hard-head catfish and the meat tastes like mud. :barfy: So we're eager to try fishing in some of Texas' lakes and streams, and see what we can catch. :D

My husband did catch a stingray this past Saturday though. Most people throw them back because they don't want to risk getting stung, or because sting rays just aren't what they're fishin' for. :D You can eat the "wings" of a stingray, and most people we've talked to have compared them to scallops. We just marinated them in teriyaki sauce and chopped garlic, and put them under the broiler for 6 minutes (3 on each side after preheating both the oven and the broiler pan). There aren't any bones, just a thin strip of cartilage running about halfway through the wing, and you can easily "peel" the meat off that with a fork. Yum-my!

Here's a pic:

stingray_first_caught.jpg

• Members

Wow Michelle, that is a nice stingray and it does sound yummy! I have not tried salt water fish although if I had opportunity too, I would. All of the lakes and rivers around here are fresh water and we have enjoyed plenty of fresh water fish.... :D
I agree, it is great catching and preparing what you have caught yourself. One thing most people do not realize is, everything that you catch yourself is fresher than anything that can be purchased in the store. We are able to eliminate the middle man and get right to the goods, when we do the catching ourselves.... :mrgreen:

• Members

There is actually a park in Ohio named after a distant relative of mine.

I believe the state I dislike the most would be Kansas.

What park?
I like Kansas my old pastor and his faily are over a church there and my ahh a aguy and his family from our church are over another church there