• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Last one to post in this thread wins

• Members

I've heard Alaska was settled by Russians. Does anybody know if this is true? If so, I wonder what "Alaska" means in Russian?

My sister lives in Alaska, but she will be moving to Billings, Montana, before the end of this month/year. She got a job at a hospital there (she's a Physician's Assistant). We (our family) are so glad to have her back in the lower 49 (that's what Alaskans call all the states outside of Alaska :wink: ). :D

• Members

[quote]
Very interesting, Mitch, very interesting.
[/quote]

Seriously ... my grandmother wanted his name to rhyme with his older brother's name. Care to guess? Yep, Nebraska! I'm really not making this up.

All I can say is, thank goodness I wasn't a junior!

• Members

[quote="mortisham"]
I would like to go there to. My sister went a few years ago and played in the band there
[/quote]

Where, in Alaska?

I've been there once. My husband and I took our "anniversary vacation" there last year (3rd week of September, because our wedding anniversary is Sept. 21). We flew into Anchorage, my sister met us and my mom there, and then we drove 6 hours to Delta Junction where she lives, stopping along the way to take pictures and get a caribou burger. :D (I don't recommend them). From Delta Jct we then drove in this big loop, stopping in Fairbanks to do some shopping and then in Talkeetna (near Denali National Park), where we stayed for 3 days (one of which was our actual anniversary, 8 years :D ). Most of the week was cloudy but we did get some nice sunny (but still cold) weather in Seward, which is near the Kenai Fjords. I would only go back if I could go in the summertime, although I don't know if I could deal with the almost round-the-clock sunshine! :shock: :D It was still a great vacation. :D

• Members

On my Dad's side of the family there are a lot of Johns and Toms and on my Mom's there's a lot of Joes.

The first one in this country on my Dad's side, before this even was a country, was an Abraham (kind of fitting) but no Nebraskas or Alaskas! Although some distant relative of ours was a governor of Nebraska back in the day.

• Members

[quote="Jesuspaiditall4all"]
[quote="chev1958"]
Surely Jessica, your suitcases won't be a problem for you this time....at least we hope it doesn't happen again..... :shock:
[/quote] [/quote]
Ya I don't think I have ever prayed this hard :wink: j/k It is only for one night so if they do get left the only valuable possession would be my Bible