• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Senators Re-Introduce the Life at Conception Act

• Members

Senators Re-Introduce the Life at Conception Act
01/29/09 - 12:54 PM

Legislation Declares that Life Begins at Conception

WASHINGTON ? In an attempt to protect the unborn by resolving the question of when life begins, U.S. Sens. Mel Martinez, R-Fla., Roger Wicker, R-Miss., Sam Brownback, R-Kan., Tom Coburn, R-Okla., Jim DeMint, R-S.C., Mike Enzi, R-Wyo., James Inhofe, R-Okla., John Thune, R-S.D., David Vitter, R-La., and George Voinovich, R-Ohio, have re-introduced the Life at Conception Act, legislation that declares that life begins at conception and the unborn to be ?persons? under the 14th Amendment to the Constitution.

Sen. Mel Martinez said, ?This effort is about fostering a culture of life, where every life is considered sacred, every child is celebrated, and life at all stages is given the dignity that it deserves.?

Sen. Roger Wicker, who also introduced the Life at Conception Act in the 110th Congress, said: ?In Roe v. Wade the Supreme Court refused to define when life begins, thus delegating this determination to the legislative branch. This legislation clearly defines that life begins at the moment of conception, a belief that is commonly held by most Americans and is something science has long proven.?

Sen. Jim DeMint said, ?We must defend innocent, unborn children and extend to them the same rights of ?life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? enjoyed by every American, as set forth in the Declaration of Independence and protected by our Constitution.?

Sen. Jim Inhofe said, ?Our government has both a moral and constitutional obligation to protect the sanctity of human life. With Democratic majorities in both chambers of Congress and a new Democratic President, we must fight twice as hard for the sanctity of life and promote our Life at Conception Act.?

Sen. John Thune said, ?Unborn children, as distinct, unique human beings, are fully deserving of our society?s attention, provision, and care. I believe this amendment would take a strong step toward achieving this goal.?

Sen. David Vitter said, ?As science continues to advance, the evidence that life begin at conception is becoming more and more irrefutable. This bill is critical to the fight to protect the culture of life, especially as we face an administration and new Congress that seems determined to advance the agenda of a practice that a great number of Americans find abhorrent.?

In its 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, the court acknowledged that ?if this suggestion of personhood is established, the appellant?s case [i.e., ?Roe?], of course, collapses, for the fetus? right to life is then guaranteed specifically by the [14th] Amendment.?

http://www.panhandleparade.com/index.ph ... bb7713858/

• Members

I'm in favor of it myself. I wonder why these legislators waited until now to get this going?

Everyone does understand the very slim thread the republican/conservative participation in congress hangs. George Voinovich, R-Ohio is retiring after this term.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... nate-seat/

So, it makes me wonder how sincere these guys are knowing the probability this legislation goes to the round file. It could have had greater effect during Bush's first term.

• Members

This bill, and similar bills, have been introduced before and they have never passed. Even when Republicans controlled congress during the first six years under Bush they didn't manage to get such passed.

At this time, putting such a bill forward is more for show than anything else because they know without a doubt the Dem controlled Senate won't accept it and pro-abortion Obama would never sign such.