• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Qualities in a mate

Guest Guest

• Members

You all should listen to Paul Washer's sermon on "Dating". It refutes the common stuff called Dating and then pushes for Biblical purpose of marriage, and especially for us guys - the conditions for marriage.

It's at a website called HeartCry Missionary
www.heartcrymissionary.com

Go look for the sermons section.

Be careful though as Washer is a Calvinist, even though his preaching, especially on Biblical repentance, is real solid. Furthermore he uses the NKJV as well.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

A good thought-provoking question for all, including myself is, not the quality you find in a mate, although that is important, but rather - what about you? Do you have the qualities a godly woman or man wants to find in you?

It's true everyone has expectations of what they want to find, but rather the first question is yourself. God will not give you a woman if you cannot edify, provide for and protect her but will tear her down instead (for guys), and God will not give you a man if you bring him evil instead of good for all his life, and being a stumbling block instead of a helpmeet to him. (for girls)

• Members

I think about this often Tian Long. I am always thinking about the best way to react and interact with my mother and sister, etc. so that I can prepare myself to be a good husband. I don't want to marry before I'm ready and when I do marry I want to be the best husband I possibly can be. :lol

• Members

Well for me I'll have plenty of hurdles to jump - two years of conscription, and by God's will - four years in college, plus a few years of work, and then wedding day.

But I confidently believe that these 'hurdles' will be the very things that God uses to help me build up my character for that. I do not want God to hold me responsible for destroying the life of a sister in Christ, but rather reward me for building her up.

• Members

A good thought-provoking question for all, including myself is, not the quality you find in a mate, although that is important, but rather - what about you? Do you have the qualities a godly woman or man wants to find in you?

It's true everyone has expectations of what they want to find, but rather the first question is yourself. God will not give you a woman if you cannot edify, provide for and protect her but will tear her down instead (for guys), and God will not give you a man if you bring him evil instead of good for all his life, and being a stumbling block instead of a helpmeet to him. (for girls)

Yep, I think about this a lot and I'm trying and praying to be the best I can.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

very good point :smile

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I'm new here, but I thought I would jump in and reply to this post. I have a loooong list! lol! But what I have found VERY important is Amos 3:3 . It is so true. I mean, how can you be in a relationship with someone, if you don't agree on something VERY important. I made a mistake and "dated" a guy that was not in church, but started going because of me. And that was the only reason he went. I don't know if it's just here in Texas or here in my small town with a smaller church, but it seems like you can't find anyone that doesn't drink. I have never once said that people will go to Hell if they drink. But I don't believe in it. It is a VERY strong conviction, and I will not "date" someone that does. Prove me wrong, but is this a bad quality? We finally broke up, because it was God's will that we NOT be together. But he refused not to drink. I thought to myself... How can two walk together if they not be agreed? Anyway... thats just something I have been dealing with. He told me that I would be single forever because what I am looking for is not out there! Ha! With God all things are POSSIBLE! I will not just set aside a conviction that the Lord gave me just to be with a Man. Yes, I have a huge desire to be married, and be a mother, etc. But I will not get married to or just date anyone. I am waiting for the one God has for me.

• Members
A good thought-provoking question for all' date=' including myself is, not the quality you find in a mate, although that is important, but rather - what about you? Do [b']you have the qualities a godly woman or man wants to find in you?

Very good question!!

• Members
I'm new here' date=' but I thought I would jump in and reply to this post. I have a loooong list! lol! But what I have found VERY important is Amos 3:3 . It is so true. I mean, how can you be in a relationship with someone, if you don't agree on something VERY important. I made a mistake and "dated" a guy that was not in church, but started going because of me. And that was the only reason he went. I don't know if it's just here in Texas or here in my small town with a smaller church, but it seems like you can't find anyone that doesn't drink. I have never once said that people will go to Hell if they drink. But I don't believe in it. It is a VERY strong conviction, and I will not "date" someone that does. Prove me wrong, but is this a bad quality? We finally broke up, because it was God's will that we NOT be together. But he refused not to drink. I thought to myself... How can two walk together if they not be agreed? Anyway... thats just something I have been dealing with. He told me that I would be single forever because what I am looking for is not out there! Ha! With God all things are POSSIBLE! I will not just set aside a conviction that the Lord gave me just to be with a Man. Yes, I have a huge desire to be married, and be a mother, etc. But I will not get married to or just date anyone. I am waiting for the one God has for me.[/quote']

Absolutely, wait for the one God has for you! :thumb

There are plenty of good men out there who don't drink. It's true they can be hard to find, but we know that God can bring you together with one at the right time for both of you.