Online Baptist Community

Whats for Supper...

Flourgirl

• Members

Today I'm crocking 1/2 a good sized chuck roast, onions, potatoes, celery, and garlic. I would have added carrots, but we forgot to pick some up at the store last week and we didn't have any frozen or canned available. If the brown and serve rolls are still good, there will be a couple of those as well! 😉 Oatmeal, cranberry, white chocolate chip cookies for dessert! YUM!

• Administrators

Tonight I experimented. I was a bit worried in that, I have never done this before, or even heard of anything like it.

I like seafood, especially clams and shrimp. Soooo I decided to make an experimental clam sauce to go over thin spaghetti. It turned out absolutely wonderful. Here is how I did it.

1 can Italian white clam sauce
1 can chopped clams
1 can whole baby clams
1 jar Ragu  Alfredo sauce
3 tsp. clam base added to 2 cups water
1 pound medium frozen shrimp
1 pound thin spaghetti
Strain and drain all the canned clams into a bowl, leaving only the liquid in the bowl
set the clam solids aside
mix flour with some of the liquid clam liquid, like you were making gravy

Pour the water with clam base into a sauce pan, bring to an almost boil
add the jar of Ragu Alfredo; bring to a light boil
now turn up the heat like you do for gravy and add the flour and clam liquid
experiment with the flour mix for how thick or thin you want the sauce
when fully mixed, add the clam solids and shrimp
shrimp cook fast, so don't over-do it, the sauce is already very hot

I cook the spaghetti while I am making the sauce, that way both are done at the same time

• 2 weeks later...
  • Lady Administrators

We had our family gathering last night. And so we had dinner...tacos, fajitas, and chicken enchilada soup. And lots of desserts - cake, pies, cookies, candy. Ugh! 

Best of all, we got to talk about Jesus, sing some carols, and give gifts to those we love. 

• Lady Administrators

That does sound yum! Tonight we'll be having the standard: ham & turkey, dressing, mashed taters and gravy, veggies, rolls. My brother is here visiting and my mom and I want to make sure his entire Christmas is memorable (he's had a rough year, c-19 aside). It will just be the four of us (hubs, me, mom, my bro) as our son has decided he'd rather spend the evening with his fiancée. Go figure. lol

• Members
54 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

That does sound yum! Tonight we'll be having the standard: ham & turkey, dressing, mashed taters and gravy, veggies, rolls. My brother is here visiting and my mom and I want to make sure his entire Christmas is memorable (he's had a rough year, c-19 aside). It will just be the four of us (hubs, me, mom, my bro) as our son has decided he'd rather spend the evening with his fiancée. Go figure. lol

All that still sounds good! We just wanted something "out of the ordinary!" I just wouldn't understand why an engaged young couple would want to spend time together on Christmas! LOL 😉 He's lucky his mother understands. Merry Christmas! 

• Lady Administrators
1 hour ago, BrotherTony said:

All that still sounds good! We just wanted something "out of the ordinary!" I just wouldn't understand why an engaged young couple would want to spend time together on Christmas! LOL 😉 He's lucky his mother understands. Merry Christmas! 

They've really enjoyed the last couple of days. Brunch with her family yesterday morning, dinner with ours last night, and now the evening. They won't be getting married until June, so they do need to spend that time together. They make such a cute couple. 😄

• Lady Administrators
10 hours ago, Invicta said:

Tonight I did pan fried sea bass fillet over a bed of steamed julienne vegetables with buttered home made whole wheat bread. 

Hey! Not only does this sound delicious, but it's good to see you posting. Hope all is well with you and your wife.

• Members
13 hours ago, Invicta said:

Tonight I did pan fried sea bass fillet over a bed of steamed julienne vegetables with buttered home made whole wheat bread. 

Oh boy! That's sounds wonderful! I'm not a huge fan of seafood, but I love sea bass. Your diet for the evening sounds like it was quite healthy! We hope you had a Merry Christmas. 

• Members

Tonight we're having something that my wife's grandmother used to make during the depression years...she called it "Rice and Tomato Soup." It's rice, tomato's, ground beef, chicken stock, onions, chipoltle peppers, salt, and pepper. With it we always have cornbread in the cast iron skillet! This stuff is EXCELLENT! I'm thankful that my wife's grandmother used to feed me when my own parent wouldn't, even though I came in late from work and had to live in their home because of our having moved from Illinois to Georgia. I paid room and board and worked not only in the lumber yard all day, but with them as well in the afternoons cleaning new construction. There was a lot going on then, and Vivian's grandmother asked if I had eaten. I told her I was going to pick something up from a fast food joint...but she wouldn't hear of it. Vivian told her what was going on, and her grandmother made us all a full supper! The second day it was this wonderful soup! I loved it, and my wife and I have been making it for the last 38 years.

• Administrators

Like Bro. Tony, my "standing up" doesn't work too well. But every once-in-a-while I just force myself to suffer through it. Last night I determined to try something different. I had some chicken breasts in the freezer and wanted to try to make some chicken parmesan. I have eaten it before and really liked it, but never tried to make my own.

I had all the ingredients and got to work. From the time I started, until finished and eaten, it took right at two hours. Two hours is way too long for my legs and I paid the price the rest of the evening.

I won't go into all the ingredients and preparation, but suffice to say they came out wonderful. Moist, tender and very flavorful. Served with Asparagus spears, they made a great dinner for my wife and I.

• Members
39 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Like Bro. Tony, my "standing up" doesn't work too well. But every once-in-a-while I just force myself to suffer through it. Last night I determined to try something different. I had some chicken breasts in the freezer and wanted to try to make some chicken parmesan. I have eaten it before and really liked it, but never tried to make my own.

I had all the ingredients and got to work. From the time I started, until finished and eaten, it took right at two hours. Two hours is way too long for my legs and I paid the price the rest of the evening.

I won't go into all the ingredients and preparation, but suffice to say they came out wonderful. Moist, tender and very flavorful. Served with Asparagus spears, they made a great dinner for my wife and I.

It sounded good....I'm glad you got to make it for yourself. It took me about two hours on the chili, and I ended up having to get up about 90 minutes after going to bed last night. But, the chili was worth it. We've got enough for this evening as well, so I'm adding mac & cheese to it! I hope your legs recover well. It's definitely not fun having these physical maladies. But, the Lords strength is sufficient.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Thanks for the reply Tony. Unlike most people who just love Chili, I don't like it at all, never have.

My legs are not going to get better. I have degenerative neuropathy, it only gets worse, not better.

Chil is just "okay" with me...I can't make it hot because my wife can't handle it that way...so I have to use cholula and chipotle powder in my bowl if I want it spicy...Then I can handle it a bit better. 

I also have degenerative neuropathy...along with diabetic neuropathy...UGH! I'm sorry you have to experience this challenge. You're on my prayer list...we can keep each other in prayer. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The past few nights we had a wonderful Mexican Casserole that I make! Tonight, we're going to have hot dogs, my famous baked beans, and french fries! This should go for tonight and tomorrow night! A money saver for sure! 🙂