• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

Chicken cordon bleu last night.  Invicta, how do you make your shepherd's pie?

Shepherds pie is supposed to be made from minced/ground lamb and onions in gravy, topped  with mashed potatoes and baked.  Some use minced/ground beef and add canned tomatoes, but there are arguments as to whether that is shepherds pie or cottage pie.  

I don't always do it the same, sometimes one and sometimes the other.  At our over 60s lunch they always use beef and canned tomatoes and gravy.  

There were two chefs progs on TV this week that spiced it up a bit, The Incredible Spice Men, and the Hairy Bikers.

I must admit that mine is usually nothing like any of those,  One day we have spaghetti bolognese and use the left over the next day, topped with mashed potato and call it shepherd's pie.  As my wife is a vegetarian, I leave the meat out of hers.  That, we call shepherdess pie.

Here is a spicy recipe from the Hairy Bikers, I couldn't find the recipe from the Incredible Spice Men,

This fragrantly spiced shepherd’s pie uses leftover roast lamb – perfect for a quick, tasty weekday dinner.

Ingredients For the filling For the Bombay mashed potato
Preparation method
  1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.

2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan with a tight-fitting lid over a medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, ginger and spices, stir well and fry for 8-10 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened slightly. Increase the heat and stir in the leftover lamb and orange zest. Continue to cook for a further five minutes.

3. Sprinkle over the flour and stir to incorporate, then pour over the stock. Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering and stir in the honey, Worcestershire sauce, and figs. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

4. Cover the pan with the lid and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.

5. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.

6. For the Bombay mashed potato, cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water for 12-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and mash until completely smooth.

7. While the potatoes are boiling, heat the oil in a small frying pan. Add the mustard seeds, curry powder and cumin seeds and fry gently until the seeds start to pop. (Caution: keep your eyes and face away from the pan.) Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.

8. Stir the spice mixture into the mashed potato and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

9. Spoon the filling into a suitably sized ovenproof dish (or two smaller ones if necessary). Top with the Bombay mashed potato, smoothing into an even layer using a spatula. Drag a fork through the topping to decorate.

10. Bake the shepherd’s pie in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the mashed potato is crisp and golden-brown.

• Administrators

Shepherds pie is supposed to be made from minced/ground lamb and onions in gravy, topped  with mashed potatoes and baked.  Some use minced/ground beef and add canned tomatoes, but there are arguments as to whether that is shepherds pie or cottage pie.  

I don't always do it the same, sometimes one and sometimes the other.  At our over 60s lunch they always use beef and canned tomatoes and gravy.  

There were two chefs progs on TV this week that spiced it up a bit, The Incredible Spice Men, and the Hairy Bikers.

I must admit that mine is usually nothing like any of those,  One day we have spaghetti bolognese and use the left over the next day, topped with mashed potato and call it shepherd's pie.  As my wife is a vegetarian, I leave the meat out of hers.  That, we call shepherdess pie.

Here is a spicy recipe from the Hairy Bikers, I couldn't find the recipe from the Incredible Spice Men,

This fragrantly spiced shepherd’s pie uses leftover roast lamb – perfect for a quick, tasty weekday dinner.

Ingredients For the filling For the Bombay mashed potato
Preparation method
  1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.

2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan with a tight-fitting lid over a medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, garlic, ginger and spices, stir well and fry for 8-10 minutes, or until the vegetables have softened slightly. Increase the heat and stir in the leftover lamb and orange zest. Continue to cook for a further five minutes.

3. Sprinkle over the flour and stir to incorporate, then pour over the stock. Bring the mixture to the boil, then reduce the heat until the mixture is simmering and stir in the honey, Worcestershire sauce, and figs. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

4. Cover the pan with the lid and simmer for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.

5. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.

6. For the Bombay mashed potato, cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling salted water for 12-15 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and mash until completely smooth.

7. While the potatoes are boiling, heat the oil in a small frying pan. Add the mustard seeds, curry powder and cumin seeds and fry gently until the seeds start to pop. (Caution: keep your eyes and face away from the pan.) Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.

8. Stir the spice mixture into the mashed potato and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

9. Spoon the filling into a suitably sized ovenproof dish (or two smaller ones if necessary). Top with the Bombay mashed potato, smoothing into an even layer using a spatula. Drag a fork through the topping to decorate.

10. Bake the shepherd’s pie in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling and the mashed potato is crisp and golden-brown.

Thanks for that - the recipe sounds like it would be an explosion on the taste buds!  We make what we call Shepherd's Pie - first layer green beans, topped with (usually) ground beef with gravy/mushroom soup, finally topped with mashed potatoes (and maybe some cheese).  I think maybe topping it with mashed potatoes is why we always called it that.  I know at a restaurant we went to, my hubby ordered Shepherd's Pie, and it was meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy on top, with a side of veggies.

I knew that originally the meat was lamb, but I had heard that it was also usually leftovers put in the pan. I figured, with you being from the part of the world where it originated, you would know.  :clapping:

And I love the Shepherdess Pie!  That's neat.

• Members

Thanks for that - the recipe sounds like it would be an explosion on the taste buds!  We make what we call Shepherd's Pie - first layer green beans, topped with (usually) ground beef with gravy/mushroom soup, finally topped with mashed potatoes (and maybe some cheese).  I think maybe topping it with mashed potatoes is why we always called it that.  I know at a restaurant we went to, my hubby ordered Shepherd's Pie, and it was meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy on top, with a side of veggies.

I knew that originally the meat was lamb, but I had heard that it was also usually leftovers put in the pan. I figured, with you being from the part of the world where it originated, you would know.  :clapping:

And I love the Shepherdess Pie!  That's neat.

The French call it Hachis Parmentier,  Minced meat topped with potatoes.  Permentier being the Frenchman who took potatoes to France.  A dish with Parmentier after the name is usually something topped with mashed potatoes.

ham 'n beans

You had it twice?

Edited by Invicta