• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members
19 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Tonight I made a meatloaf, green beans, and black-eyed peas! We have this at least twice a month. We've got neopolitan ice cream for dessert. Tomorrow I'm planning on making taco potatoes. 

Wow...things can change in a heartbeat, can't they? I was going to make taco potatoes, but I ended up needing to make pork back meat with green peppers, onions, garlic, carrots, celery and other nice veggies~Some of the stuff for the taco potatoes had to be thrown out because of our refrigerator debacle this past weekend. UGH! I guess the Lord already knew we didn't really NEED taco potatoes! ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Tonights fare was hamburger steaks, blackeyed peas, and spinach stuffed mushrooms! We're going to have Vivian's homemade carrot cake with cream cheese icing for dessert! Even the dog gets a little piece of this! ? He loves it! 

• Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I've never heard of hamburger steaks; is this what is normally called a Hamburg patty?

To some degree, yes....It's a bolstered hamburger patty...thicker, sometimes with cereal fillers, egg, onion, green pepper, etc. It holds together like a steak would. That's what my family and my wife's as well, have always called them. And in the South, there are some restaurants that call them this as well. ?

• Administrators

We had Mexican yesterday - made tacos and Spanish rice; also fixed some  tamales (not homemade) and refried beans.  My brother was here visiting...all 3 guys were quite satisfied by the end of the meal - which was both an apple and a cherry pie. ?

So hubs will have leftovers tonight. He's just so sad. heehee

• Members
9 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

We had Mexican yesterday - made tacos and Spanish rice; also fixed some  tamales (not homemade) and refried beans.  My brother was here visiting...all 3 guys were quite satisfied by the end of the meal - which was both an apple and a cherry pie. ?

So hubs will have leftovers tonight. He's just so sad. heehee

Sounds great, LuAnne! 

Tonights fare for Vivian and me was cube steak, fried yellow squash, and macaroni salad! For dessert, we will have either neopolitan ice cream, or part of the two danish (one is cheese, and the other is strawberry, cream cheese). Of course, our dog, Bailey, will want a small piece from each of our plates! He's so cute when he's waiting to see if he'll get anything! ?

• Members
On 5/16/2022 at 8:39 PM, BrotherTony said:

Sounds great, LuAnne! 

Tonights fare for Vivian and me was cube steak, fried yellow squash, and macaroni salad! For dessert, we will have either neopolitan ice cream, or part of the two danish (one is cheese, and the other is strawberry, cream cheese). Of course, our dog, Bailey, will want a small piece from each of our plates! He's so cute when he's waiting to see if he'll get anything! ?

Is it true that they teach Italians, how to cook before they can walk…. ?  Have a good one.

• Members
3 minutes ago, E Morales said:

Is it true that they teach Italians, how to cook before they can walk…. ?  Have a good one.

From what I know, having grown up around many Italian families, the Filarski family living right behind us with their eight kids, and the Alesandrini family living two blocks down, and both of these families being in my grade school classes from 4th to 6th grade, I have to say "YES!" They ALL knew how to cook. In fact, we had several days throughout the year where we were to bring in recipes for dishes to make. Some of the kids (including me) didn't have to bring in recipes because we knew them by heart. I'm only 1/8 Italian, and I started cooking when I was 4 years old. 

• Members
20 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

From what I know, having grown up around many Italian families, the Filarski family living right behind us with their eight kids, and the Alesandrini family living two blocks down, and both of these families being in my grade school classes from 4th to 6th grade, I have to say "YES!" They ALL knew how to cook. In fact, we had several days throughout the year where we were to bring in recipes for dishes to make. Some of the kids (including me) didn't have to bring in recipes because we knew them by heart. I'm only 1/8 Italian, and I started cooking when I was 4 years old. 

I love the large home made spicy meat ball, with sauce. One per plate. Spaghetti down under.

• Members
17 minutes ago, E Morales said:

I love the large home made spicy meat ball, with sauce. One per plate. Spaghetti down under.

When I was younger I liked it like that. But, the older I got, the more I like having smaller meatballs or a simple meat sauce. ? 

• Members

Tonight we're having left over vegetables from the roast I made in the crock pot last night, along with a small meatloaf...probably Mexican style. Along with that we'll be having some macaroni salad, and neopolitan ice cream for dessert! ? It's been a LONG, HOT day so far. In the 90s here, and very humid. I have the past control people here spraying the outside, and our deacon is here mowing our lawn since I can no longer do it myself, nor can my wife. 

• Members

This evening, my wife made pan fried pork chops (not breaded), mushroom and onion gravy, rice, and green beans! Man oh man was it EVER good! ? We're going to have a cinnamon roll for dessert. We started shopping ALDI again a few weeks back, and what we got today saved us over $45 over what we would have paid at Kroger! If you have an ALDI store in your area, I'd highly recommend it! I grew up on ALDI in Pekin, IL starting around 50 years ago, and because there wasn't one on our side of town here, we stopped shopping there. If you don't have one, write their corporate headquarters and show that there's some kind of interest in saving money on groceries! ?

• Members

This evening, because Vivian and I were at my annual follow up with the ENT concerning my bilateral Meniere's disease, and it ran late into the afternoon, we stopped at a Greek Cafe that we had been wanting to try for the last year or so. It seemed like the right time to stop since we had to stop at Kroger and at Walgreens as well which are within a block of the cafe! We had the most WONDERFUL shaved steak on a bed of rice with sauce, and a nice salad with "fata" cheese and creamy dressing. It was a bit more expensive than we had wanted, but the portions were good. We will definitely eat there again! ? We had fresh baklava as well! YUM!