• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

Tonight we're having 1/3 of a huge chuck roast my wife found at Kroger (I cut the larger one into 3 smaller roasts) with potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, green pepper, and garlic. i may steam some broccoli as well. For dessert we'll probably have a piece of apple pie  that my wife picked up at Gordons Food Supply yesterday. This apple pie has less sugar than most, and it still tastes delicious! 

Edited by BrotherTony

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Tonight we're going to be having a blade chuck roast from the slow cooker, with slowlly steamed vegetables, biscuits, and strawberry short-cake for dessert! That roast is big enough to last two meals! PTL for that, especially with the price of meat becoming so high here in Tennessee 

• Administrators
On 3/22/2022 at 4:41 AM, BrotherTony said:

Tonight we're going to be having a blade chuck roast from the slow cooker, with slowlly steamed vegetables, biscuits, and strawberry short-cake for dessert! That roast is big enough to last two meals! PTL for that, especially with the price of meat becoming so high here in Tennessee 

Oh, man, that sounds tasty!

Tonight we are having pizza for the first time since December...it's nice not being sick! ?

• Members

Ah....tonight we'll be having hand-breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches...the tenderloin is as big as a plate with a hamburger bun, pickle, mustard, ketchup, mayo, and pickle. One of these will feed both my bride and me! Can't get these at ANY restaurant here in Tennessee that I know of...the last one I had was nearly 28 years ago in Illinois when we lived there. I grew up on these sandwiches and potato logs....that's the fare for tonight. ? I might make some baked beans to go with it...The restaurant that made this sammich famous in our area was Maid-Rite. 

• Administrators

It sounds good Tony. But I am a bit confused because you called it a pork tenderloin. I was a butcher for quite a few years, so am familiar with cuts of meat. Having said that, I know that tenderloin is a cut of meat that is quite small in size.  But you said yours was a big as a plate.

I have noticed in recent years that the meat you get in a store is designated quite differently than the original cuts of meat. They are coming up with some crazy names for traditional cuts and mis-labeling others.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, BrotherTony said:

Ah....tonight we'll be having hand-breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches...the tenderloin is as big as a plate with a hamburger bun, pickle, mustard, ketchup, mayo, and pickle. One of these will feed both my bride and me! Can't get these at ANY restaurant here in Tennessee that I know of...the last one I had was nearly 28 years ago in Illinois when we lived there. I grew up on these sandwiches and potato logs....that's the fare for tonight. ? I might make some baked beans to go with it...The restaurant that made this sammich famous in our area was Maid-Rite. 

I have  a friend who lives in southern Indiana who is able to get these...he shares pictures of the sammy sometimes. If they taste even half as nummy as they look!!

• Members
1 hour ago, HappyChristian said:

I have  a friend who lives in southern Indiana who is able to get these...he shares pictures of the sammy sometimes. If they taste even half as nummy as they look!!

I was born and raised until I was 6 1/2 in Bloomington, IN. I grew up with these wonderful sandwiches! We had them when we moved to Pekin, IL...readily available all of the time. When I moved to GA, I was surprised that people didn't know what they were, especially with the amount of pork they all ate. I showed many people how to hand-bread these wonderful loins, and they are still eating them to this day. My wife and I had considered starting a food truck or a small restaurant that served these sandwiches, but the Lord led us in a different direction. I hand-breaded these after butterflying them from a nice cut of pork loin. 

Believe me, they're well worth making! Nearly everyone we've served them to has wanted to get the instructions on how to butterfly and hand=bread, and fry these wonderful sammiches! ? 

• Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

It sounds good Tony. But I am a bit confused because you called it a pork tenderloin. I was a butcher for quite a few years, so am familiar with cuts of meat. Having said that, I know that tenderloin is a cut of meat that is quite small in size.  But you said yours was a big as a plate.

I have noticed in recent years that the meat you get in a store is designated quite differently than the original cuts of meat. They are coming up with some crazy names for traditional cuts and mis-labeling others.

It's actually called a "center-cut pork loin". I was a butcher for a couple of years at Winn-Dixie in Augusta, GA...LOL Funny how people from my old profession keep popping up. ? We take it, take off as much of the fat as is possible so it's got to be trimmed once we get it home.  Then we cut it into slices, usually 1" to 1 1/2"s thick. Then we slice down through the center LONGWISE (side to side) about 5/8 of the way, turning the two sides out. Then we place the piece of meat in a long piece of plastic wrap, and with a meat/tenderizing mallet, beat the slice of meat until it's quite thin. The coating for the meat can be your own concoction, or you can use Indiana recipe for coating. I  usually use it, as that's what I grew up on and it's less expensive to make than some of the others. When it's been butterflied and beat out thinly, it will be quite large. It's a beautiful sammich! Hope you get to try it sometime....most like it...hope you will, too. 

• Administrators

Thanks Tony, that explains why it is a big as you described. Butterflied and beaten, it can be as much as three times its original size.

But still, as a butcher, you know that what they are calling tenderloin is really loin. For people not familiar with meat cuts; tenderloin is from inside the body cavity of the animal, while loin, or "back strap" is from the outside of the body cavity, right under the skin and on either side of the back bone.

Today, no one in the large chain markets cut meat. It either comes to them already cut and wrapped, like in Walmart; or it is already broken down to the individual cuts. Walmart goes one further, all their meat is not only all cut and wrapped, it is also frozen until put out in the case.

Most people working in the meat department do not cut any meat. I have asked a number of times and they admit that they do not know how to break down a quarter. They obviously don't ever see a whole quarter, much less know how to break one down.

But, to get back on subject, pork is probably my favorite,  cooked any way is just great by me. I do favor slow cooked roasts though. But, having said that; it is hard to beat a good beef chuck roast cooked slowly and topped with rich gravy.

• Members
32 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Thanks Tony, that explains why it is a big as you described. Butterflied and beaten, it can be as much as three times its original size.

But still, as a butcher, you know that what they are calling tenderloin is really loin. For people not familiar with meat cuts; tenderloin is from inside the body cavity of the animal, while loin, or "back strap" is from the outside of the body cavity, right under the skin and on either side of the back bone.

Today, no one in the large chain markets cut meat. It either comes to them already cut and wrapped, like in Walmart; or it is already broken down to the individual cuts. Walmart goes one further, all their meat is not only all cut and wrapped, it is also frozen until put out in the case.

Most people working in the meat department do not cut any meat. I have asked a number of times and they admit that they do not know how to break down a quarter. They obviously don't ever see a whole quarter, much less know how to break one down.

But, to get back on subject, pork is probably my favorite,  cooked any way is just great by me. I do favor slow cooked roasts though. But, having said that; it is hard to beat a good beef chuck roast cooked slowly and topped with rich gravy.

Thankfully we only get part of our meat supply from the grocery. We've got a friend who raises Dexter steer, and he slaughters at least three a month along with a hog. We get a majority of our meet through him because we know the poor meat cuts at the market. I was with Winn-Dixie back in the 1980s, and left them because they were using spoiled meat, bleached, and mixing it with good. Then they were also doing as you said, pushing off certain cuts of meat as something they weren't. Another man from our church was my boss, and we both walked off the job because of unethical business practices. It was pretty good money for a 24 year old. 

I'm thankful that I had to opportunity to learn most of that business, though I didn't stay with it. I've had to work so many jobs off and on alongside the ministry...that is...until I went disabled. Still, the Lord has blessed. ? What was your favorite cut of meat?

• Members

I don't like pork.  Today we had a family Chinese take away to celebrate my birthday which was actually last Monday. 

My daughter and her husband have applied to house a Ukrainian refugee family. They are hoping to be able to have Christians preferably  Baptist, but it may not be possible to choose.

On another non related point. Is there anybody on the board who is near Tampa, FL and if so could they visit somebody in hospital. He is disabled and visited  the US over two years ago and he and his wife contracted c

Covid while he was there and became seriously I'll.  He owns a local disability store locally here.

Here is a YouTube video for you. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3ajY-xEw6ZU

• Administrators
56 minutes ago, BrotherTony said:

What was your favorite cut of meat?

Well, if it is beef it would be Rib Eye, cooked over the grill. If it is pork it would be a slow cooked roast. But then again, it is hard to beat slow cooked pork ribs, finished off on the grill.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Invicta said:

I will be having a small steak, home fries and onion rings, tomorrow it will be slow cooked lamb bourguignon.

That sounds good Invicta, I love Lamb. Lamb seems to be more popular where you are and in the rest of Europe. Here it is not popular and even in the stores there is only a small section of the meat department with Lamb in it. Whet is there is also very expensive; probably the most expensive cut of meat in the store.

I think my favorite Lamb cut is chops; I like to broil them until golden brown, and even a little bit of crispy to the fat. That flavor is wonderful. But alas, I haven't had any Lamb for a long time. Pound for pound it is just too expensive. Not only is it expensive, but the cuts of Lamb in the store are so small that you have to buy more of things like chops to even make a meal for one.

I guess that because they don't sell much of it, they don't put much of it out. Most packages of chops only have rwo, or once in a while four chops and of course being Lamb they are small.