• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

Tonight we're having something that my wife's grandmother used to make during the depression years...she called it "Rice and Tomato Soup." It's rice, tomato's, ground beef, chicken stock, onions, chipoltle peppers, salt, and pepper. With it we always have cornbread in the cast iron skillet! This stuff is EXCELLENT! I'm thankful that my wife's grandmother used to feed me when my own parent wouldn't, even though I came in late from work and had to live in their home because of our having moved from Illinois to Georgia. I paid room and board and worked not only in the lumber yard all day, but with them as well in the afternoons cleaning new construction. There was a lot going on then, and Vivian's grandmother asked if I had eaten. I told her I was going to pick something up from a fast food joint...but she wouldn't hear of it. Vivian told her what was going on, and her grandmother made us all a full supper! The second day it was this wonderful soup! I loved it, and my wife and I have been making it for the last 38 years.

• Members

Tonight, if I can stand up long enough to cut the onion, green pepper, cook the ground beef, etc., we're going to be having a chili! My wife said that she would like one since it's going to be a bit colder the next few days. Sounds good to me, too. ?

• Administrators

Like Bro. Tony, my "standing up" doesn't work too well. But every once-in-a-while I just force myself to suffer through it. Last night I determined to try something different. I had some chicken breasts in the freezer and wanted to try to make some chicken parmesan. I have eaten it before and really liked it, but never tried to make my own.

I had all the ingredients and got to work. From the time I started, until finished and eaten, it took right at two hours. Two hours is way too long for my legs and I paid the price the rest of the evening.

I won't go into all the ingredients and preparation, but suffice to say they came out wonderful. Moist, tender and very flavorful. Served with Asparagus spears, they made a great dinner for my wife and I.

• Members
39 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Like Bro. Tony, my "standing up" doesn't work too well. But every once-in-a-while I just force myself to suffer through it. Last night I determined to try something different. I had some chicken breasts in the freezer and wanted to try to make some chicken parmesan. I have eaten it before and really liked it, but never tried to make my own.

I had all the ingredients and got to work. From the time I started, until finished and eaten, it took right at two hours. Two hours is way too long for my legs and I paid the price the rest of the evening.

I won't go into all the ingredients and preparation, but suffice to say they came out wonderful. Moist, tender and very flavorful. Served with Asparagus spears, they made a great dinner for my wife and I.

It sounded good....I'm glad you got to make it for yourself. It took me about two hours on the chili, and I ended up having to get up about 90 minutes after going to bed last night. But, the chili was worth it. We've got enough for this evening as well, so I'm adding mac & cheese to it! I hope your legs recover well. It's definitely not fun having these physical maladies. But, the Lords strength is sufficient.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Thanks for the reply Tony. Unlike most people who just love Chili, I don't like it at all, never have.

My legs are not going to get better. I have degenerative neuropathy, it only gets worse, not better.

Chil is just "okay" with me...I can't make it hot because my wife can't handle it that way...so I have to use cholula and chipotle powder in my bowl if I want it spicy...Then I can handle it a bit better. 

I also have degenerative neuropathy...along with diabetic neuropathy...UGH! I'm sorry you have to experience this challenge. You're on my prayer list...we can keep each other in prayer. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

The past few nights we had a wonderful Mexican Casserole that I make! Tonight, we're going to have hot dogs, my famous baked beans, and french fries! This should go for tonight and tomorrow night! A money saver for sure! ?

• Members
13 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

Still not feeling well in our house, so it's whatever...Randy's been enjoying canned ravioli, so that's probably what he'll have. Me, I don't know.

Sorry y'all aren't feeling well yet. I've been eating canned ravioli for the past few days for lunch. Will be praying for y'all. 

• Administrators

I made crockpot bowtie lasagna tonight for potluck tomorrow. I don't know how it's going to work, but I'm hoping to be able to make it to church tomorrow. It's our "long day," where we have an afternoon service instead of evening. So, since my energy level seems to bottom out about 3 pm, I thought I'd be able to go to morning service, lunch, and afternoon service. Mom, too. Hubs will be staying home again. But I'll bring him some lasagna home. 

Tonight he had beefaroni. I had apple sauce and gatorade. ?

• Members
15 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

I made crockpot bowtie lasagna tonight for potluck tomorrow. I don't know how it's going to work, but I'm hoping to be able to make it to church tomorrow. It's our "long day," where we have an afternoon service instead of evening. So, since my energy level seems to bottom out about 3 pm, I thought I'd be able to go to morning service, lunch, and afternoon service. Mom, too. Hubs will be staying home again. But I'll bring him some lasagna home. 

Tonight he had beefaroni. I had apple sauce and gatorade. ?

The flavors of the bowtie lasagna should blend very well overnight making the dish even better than if you ate it the day it was cooked. It should be good eating.