• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

Tonight it's a decision between chili and sloppy Joe's and fries. It's going to be cold tonight, and my bride told me that either one is fine with her. Sloppy Joe would go one meal and would be easier if we have Bible study tonight at the Cowpunchers Church in Shelbyville. I haven't gotten a text telling me whether it's on or not. So, I'll probably opt for the sloppy Joe. Chili will be great near the end of the week when it's even colder. Besides, I need green peppers to make a suffiicient chili! ?

• Administrators

Brother Tony, you mentioned  kielbasa and said you didn't have any. I think everyone has their own type of sausage they like with cabbage. Mine is either Bacon and cheddar bratwurst or Italian sausages. I like to slice and brown the sausage and then mix the sausage in with the cabbage. Oh, and I also like to do onions in with the cabbage, gives the whole dish a tasty sweet flavor.

• Members
4 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Brother Tony, you mentioned  kielbasa and said you didn't have any. I think everyone has their own type of sausage they like with cabbage. Mine is either Bacon and cheddar bratwurst or Italian sausages. I like to slice and brown the sausage and then mix the sausage in with the cabbage. Oh, and I also like to do onions in with the cabbage, gives the whole dish a tasty sweet flavor.

We switch off between kielbasa and sausage...sometimes we'll use bacon as well. Oh yes! We LOVE onions in ours as well. We cut whatever type of sausage we choose up and fry it to give it a caramel color and taste...frying the onions with it. We use Worchestershire, garlic and liquid smoke...some people steam their cabbage before they add to their choice of meat, but we don't. We add some chicken stock (not much...just enough) and then let it cook the cabbage down. We usually let it simmer for 30-45 minutes on low to medium heat..while it's marrying the flavors, we usually make our cornbread....YUM! Sounds like we have some similar tastes. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Tonight I'm baking two large chicken breasts...one to be split between my wife and myself tonight along with sweet potato and peas...and the second one to be made into a chicken salad for tomorrow evening. It's one of the most economical ways we have found lately, and it covers more than one evening! ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
5 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Sounds good Tony, but you left out a part; what kind of roast? It makes a difference in the goodness.

I agree...we usually settle for a chuck roast, slowly cooked....but this time my wife found a wonderful top round that looked pretty good. She brazed it, then put it in the oven with the veg and baked it for 2 1/2 hours at around 325 degrees! It's so tender, and the flavors have married up so well that I am just waiting for supper! It'll be a bit later tonight since my wife has to stop for gas, and will probably get off a bit later since the truck has to go tonight. It's at least an 1 1/2 hour drive home on Friday nights, but with the gas stop, it'll be around 2 hours. 

That roast, though, was on sale, and it's the first top round we've seen in over six months. It's hard to get certain cuts of beef here lately unless you know a farmer. We've actually started buying grass fed Aberdeen beef from a cattle rancher friend of mine. It's getting to be a huge thing here these days. ? 

• Members

Tonight we're having a pork loin chop (center cut) with onions and green peppers, macaroni & cheese and baked beans. Cordial cherries for dessert (2 each). That'll be it for tonight. I'm so thankful that my Grandpa Patton started teaching me how to cook when I was only four years old...my mom continued it on when I was eight. It's served me well.