• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Administrators

Invicta, if this meal only takes ten minutes I suspect strongly that you like your bacon not too crisp. I thought of that because I do not like bacon that is what I consider under done. I like it very crisp, which brings out and enhances the flavor. Although I must admit that most folks would not like it as crisp as I do. I cook it on very low heat or a very long time which accomplishes two things. The first is that it doesn't splatter all over the stove and everything near it. The second is that the bacon doesn't shrivel up to nothing.

• Members

I never fry  bacon, just pop it in the microwave an a plate covered with a sheet of kitchen tissue, and it crisps up in a few minutes.  You have to be careful not to overdo it.  There is so much water in modern bacon that it boils rather than fries, unless you spend a lot more for dry cured. You can't often find that in the stores though.  For my omelette I use smoked lardons, small pieces of bacon. 

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

I made Big Mac salad this afternoon. It's a good salad for someone who is watching their carbs. While we have not gone full blown back onto the low carb eating yet (tomorrow...), this was a good lunch. Both my husband and son liked it, as did I. My mom doesn't care for yellow mustard, which is in the sauce recipe. We will be having it again, and probably often (I will probably omit the mustard in my mom's sauce, or replace it with spicy brown).

https://twosleevers.com/big-mac-salad/

• Members
15 minutes ago, HappyChristian said:

I made Big Mac salad this afternoon. It's a good salad for someone who is watching their carbs. While we have not gone full blown back onto the low carb eating yet (tomorrow...), this was a good lunch. Both my husband and son liked it, as did I. My mom doesn't care for yellow mustard, which is in the sauce recipe. We will be having it again, and probably often (I will probably omit the mustard in my mom's sauce, or replace it with spicy brown).

https://twosleevers.com/big-mac-salad/

Mustard is yellow.  Or at least has yellow colouring in. We have a brown mustard that they call French mustard but I have never seen anything like it in France.  I always by my mustard in France, you can get it  forte, strong or douce, mild, but they are all yellow. 

Today my son in law did chichen korma and rice for lunch, but it seemed to have much  more vegetables that chicken. As we had a large lunch Kay and I only had a snack for supper.

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators
Just now, Invicta said:

Mustard is yellow.  Or at least has yellow colouring in. We have a brown mustard that they call French mustard  I have never seen anything like it in France.  I always by my mustard in France, you can get it  forte, strong or douce, mild, but they are all yellow. 

Today my so in law did chichen korma and rice for lunch, but it seemed to have much  more vegetables that chicken. As we had a large lunch Kay and I only had a snack for supper.

Yes, I know mustard is yellow in color. But we differentiate in our house (and many recipes do, as well), by referring to regular mustard as yellow. Because then there is the spicy brown, which, while yellowish, is closer to brown. Then there is deli mustard, which is even more brown. All in our refrigerator, so all get a different name, yellow being my favorite, deli my mom's, and spicy brown my hubs'.

I've never tried korma, but the lady whose Big Mac salad recipe we used has a recipe for it I may try. We don't eat Indian foods, so it will be a different thing for us.

• Members

Korma is very mild. It has a lot of coconut milk in it.  It is not my favourite, I prefer something a it more spicy.  I don't know of any Indian restaurants in our town, but we have at least two Nepalese restaurants. We have a lot of Nepalese in our town as mostly retired Ghurkas.

I did omelette again today, but with smoked salmon and tomato.

• Administrators

Well, we've got our winter now. It snowed a bit last night - woke up to about 3 inches or so. At noon it began snowing again, and, while it's tapered off, it hasn't let up. According to the weather app, it is supposed to snow til 5 am. A bit of rain is supposedly mixed in with the snow right now. While I don't love snow, I don't hate it, either...although after Randy's slip and fall just over a year ago, I get kind of panicky thinking about him being out in this.

He made it to work with no problems today, but called off for tomorrow. Our van is in the shop, so he's been using my mom's little car. The van is fixed now - fuel pump replaced - but the weather didn't permit us to pick it up. So hopefully we'll be able to get it Friday. Heh - we need it for Sunday, to pick up the girls, especially if the two little boys come with them.

Anyway...with the snow and cold, chili sounded tasty for tonight. So that's what I made, and we all enjoyed it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 1/10/2020 at 5:18 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

What does Randy do for work HC?

Sorry I didn't see this until now. He works for Home Instead as a home health aid. He no longer works til 9:45 on Fridays. Clients come and go in this business. He is able to work part-time, so he can study properly and do his church stuff.

I made a pork roast in my Ninja foodi again the other day. Randy really likes it done that way, and it's quick for me. And it lasts him several days. Last night we had steak. Yum, yum! Tonight we'll probably have fish (Randy and I are heading over to Port Townsend early to take care of some church business and hopefully do a little visiting, so we're probably going to a fish place for dinner)..

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Church fellowship lunch today.  Ella celebrated her 100th. birthday.   Good number attended.

Ella was originally brought to our church coffee morning by Giselle a Belgian member of our church some years ago and has been attending whenever she can since then.

Edited by Invicta
addition of text

• Administrators

Tonight I'm making Beef Barbacao "lasagna." I'll fix the roast in the instant pot and then shred it. For the lasagna sheets, I have palmini (hearts of palm) lasagna. Just like with regular lasagna, I will layer the beef with the sheets, adding cheese to the layers.  We've used palmini linguine before and Randy likes it. We'll see about the lasagna.