• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Administrators

Love Halibut Gary, caught quite a few when I lived n Alaska. I like the 20-30 pounders myself, they seem to be the tastiest. I had to limit myself to fishing them in summer, ot because of cold, but because it was an almost 400 mile trip from the Interior of Alaska to the coast. Too far to go for much more than two or three trips.

• Members

I picked 5 beefsteak tomatoes from one plant in the garden over the last few days.  One I stuffed and my wife and I shared it.  One I gave to a neigbour, two I made tomato soup with today (they weighed 520g and 625g)  They made quite a lot of soup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

That sounds good Invica. I love lamb, but it is much too expensive here. Speaking of expensive, just about any meat product is becoming too pricey to buy. I don't go into the store much, my wife does most of the shopping, but the other day I went in and was amazed. A beef steak had a per pound price of $10.89. And it wasn't just that one steak, any steak was that kind of price. 

• Members

22 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

That sounds good Invica. I love lamb, but it is much too expensive here. Speaking of expensive, just about any meat product is becoming too pricey to buy. I don't go into the store much, my wife does most of the shopping, but the other day I went in and was amazed. A beef steak had a per pound price of $10.89. And it wasn't just that one steak, any steak was that kind of price. 

I don't check the price per pound, or kilo in our case.  I just go by the price of a steak as It is only me who eats meat.  I usually buy a single sirlion steak.  21 day matured is cheaper than 28 day matured.  I usually buy it in Aldi which is the only store which my wife and I can walk to.  Sometimes I cut one in half and freeze half.

The lamb was packs of 5 sizzle steaks for £3.50. I bought 2 packs for £7.00 but we had a £1 off voucher for the lamb and a £9 off voucher if we spent £60 which we did overall.  That was in Sainsburys.  

My daughter always buys her meat at the local butcher as she believes in supporting local businesses.

• Members

@Jim_Alaska I checked the price of steak in Aldi this afternoon.  It went from £7.69 per kilo for thin cut steak right up to over £26.00, with all prices in between.  That's approx £3.50 per pound to over £12.per pound.  In other stores the prices may be much more. The conversion is to divide the price per klio by 2.20462262

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

I believe that the price you gave for the highest price per pound works out to $5.40 per pound. That is half as much as we pay here.

It's hard to talk about prices when our weight is by the pound and your monetary designation is also a pound.

• Members
On 9/5/2019 at 5:10 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

I believe that the price you gave for the highest price per pound works out to $5.40 per pound. That is half as much as we pay here.

It's hard to talk about prices when our weight is by the pound and your monetary designation is also a pound.

I think the highest price would be about $14.00 per pound. Aldi is a budget store, so other stores may be much higher.  Some independent stores sell things in pounds, but they also have to show the kilo prices..  And milk.  That is a strange one.  Branded milk is usually sold in 1 or 2 kilo bottles and is usually filtered milk.  Store milk is pastuerised and usually packed in pints.  We usually buy 4 pint bottles but to comply with the law, it is also marked 2.27 litres.  (4 pints is 5 US pints.)