• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members
5 hours ago, 2bLikeJesus said:

Do you use pork, duck or goose fat for your Piperade Baskaise?

Neither, I use Olive oil as my wife is a vegetarian.

Actually I got the spelling wrong.  it is Basquaise.  And piperade is it spelt like that or should it have an accent, i.e. Pipérade?  Some recipe sites have it with and some without.  To check, I looked it up in my wife's Lareousse dictionary, and they spell it without, so I suppose that is correct. 

However the Oxford dictionary has  Piperade (also Pipérade)

I receive daily recipes from Marmiton.org, a French site and yesterday they had some piperade recipes in it, some of which have ham in them and some don't.  That reminded me that my wife used to make it and we used to like it.   So I decided to make it.  We make it with eggs in it.  Some recipes serve it with a rolled omelette, others add it to chicken or fish.

Edited by Invicta

• Members
8 hours ago, 2bLikeJesus said:

My recipe has eggs and ham in it.  I usually use rendered pork fat as well.  Nice recipe for when we want something different.

No ham.  My wife is a vegetarian.  We use left overs in salad, and  we have had it in sandwiches.  I always try to remember what herbs we used to use in it.  My wife found her original recipe and it used oregano and thyme, but I think we also used basil.  

Anyway it is very tasty.

Today I had lamb chops. new potatoes and vegetables.   My wife had Cancoillotte  cheese on her potatoes and she also had mushrooms.

• Administrators
On 5/30/2018 at 9:41 AM, 2bLikeJesus said:

Fresh Razorback Clams dug up on Memorial Day in Astoria, OR!  With fresh picked Morel Mushrooms grown wild in this part of Oregon and the first radishes from my garden are ready.

Hard to beat Gary. I had a friend in Alaska that lived down on the southern coast that would make fried clams of the razor back "skirts" that most people trim off and then make the best clam chowder out of the meat of the clam. It was  a feast for a king.

• Administrators
On 5/30/2018 at 8:10 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

I love pork chops any way they are cooked. Did I ever give you my own special recipe for them HC?

I'm not sure...would you go ahead and give it to me?

~~~

We had our potluck at church today. I brought sloppy joes, and there was chicken tortilla soup, broccoli and cheese soup, plus several sides. Dessert was a delicious cherry/pineapple cake, complete with coconut and macadamia nuts. Delicious!

• Administrators

Here you go HC, enjoy

Yummy Pork Chops 

In a Large deep sided skillet with cover

Begin heating ¼” of oil in the skillet on high heat.

Pour some flour in a bowl

Slice a large RED onion in about ¼” thick slices

Wash pork chops in clear water, do not drain them

Season pork chops with Johnny’s seasoning and garlic powder

Dredge pork chops in the flour, cover them well with flour

Shake off excess flour and brown the chops well

Remove chops from pan, turn fire down to low (number three on my stove)

Line the bottom of the pan with whole slices of red onion

Place pork chops on the onion, turn up heat until the chops start to cook again

Pour in one cup of hot water, cover pan and turn down the heat to low again

It should just barely boil, cook covered for 30 minutes

Remove cover and turn up heat a bit to reduce liquid

Serve with favorite veggies.

Edited by Jim_Alaska
added forgotten item

• Members

My mum worked for a butcher once and he said "Never wash meat"  but he didn't say why.

When you buy a chicken in a supermarket it always says "Do not wash raw chicken."

• Members
5 minutes ago, Invicta said:

My mum worked for a butcher once and he said "Never wash meat"  but he didn't say why.

When you buy a chicken in a supermarket it always says "Do not wash raw chicken."

When you wash meat, especially chicken, it is true that you wash off SOME of the bacteria but not all, and what is on the meat is going to be killed in the oven/cooking at 165 degrees, BUT what is washed off is now on your sink, utensils, hands, and anything else the water splashes on that are not heated to 165 degrees.  You are actually spreading the bacteria and increasing your chances of becoming infected rather than making the meat itself safer.

• Members
10 minutes ago, 2bLikeJesus said:

When you wash meat, especially chicken, it is true that you wash off SOME of the bacteria but not all, and what is on the meat is going to be killed in the oven/cooking at 165 degrees, BUT what is washed off is now on your sink, utensils, hands, and anything else the water splashes on that are not heated to 165 degrees.  You are actually spreading the bacteria and increasing your chances of becoming infected rather than making the meat itself safer.

when in France I see Steak Tartare.  Raw minced beef. Then there is Bleu which is shown the pan on each side. I once heard someone asked how he wanted his hamburger, and he said bleu.  My chef friend says that is very dangerous as the bacteria is on the surface and when you mince, or grind it you spread the bacteria all through.  He says he always cooks his meat "pink" except chicken which should be cooked thoroughly all through.

• Members

Today we had crudités as a starter, and  to follow I had ribeye steak with potatoes and fine beans, and Kay had mushrooms and nut cutlet instead of steak.

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

I was not talking about actually"washing" the meat, It is actually just a rinse to rinse off excess blood and allow the flour to adhere to the meat. But having said that, there is actually no problem with holding a piece of meat under running water. If you think about it a minute, how can you handle any meat, especially chicken without touching it? I would think that if there was this great danger of becoming "contaminated" there would be a lot of sick people out there every day.

What about the butcher, or sometimes butchers if you go all the way back to the packing house ,that touch the meat? In this scenario you have multiple people touching the meat and not only that, but in the case of the butcher, do you think that he sterilizes his hands after he touches a piece of meat and before he grabs another one?

I just think there is a bit of over-reaction concerning this. By the way, in my younger years I was a butcher for ten years.