• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

The Beast from the East has arrived. Our seniors lunch was cancelled due to the weather. 

It is nothing like you have in the US but as we don't usually have much snow we don't have too much equipment to cope with it.  Farmers have been asked to help to clear rural roads.  A neighbour walked up to Tesco supermarket this morning and got a taxi home.  He texted me to say "Don't go out, the roads are dangerous" and the taxi driver had problems getting home.   

This afternoon it was bright sunshine and the snow on our path and the road outside seemed to have melted, but I walked out and the snow had frozen and was  very slippery.   We have a bus which stops outside our house which runs every two hours  but I don't think it ran today,  It does go through a number of very narrow rural lanes before it gets here.   The weather is forecast to last till the weekend.  We were planning to go to France for 6 days but have cancelled it till later.

Today I did baked potato with roast vegetables and ratatouille.  I was intending to do a chicken breast with it but forgot to put in in the oven so I had it for supper, with French bread.  Followed by smoked garlic sausage and French bread.

• Administrators

Be careful, @Invicta - that's nothing to mess with! We don't have as much here as other areas of the US (and definitely not as much as we had when we lived in IN), so a lot of folks don't know how to drive in it. But then there's the black ice that the mountain roads can get. And the rock slides when the ice/snow melts...

My hubs decided to go to the Black Bear for our lunch. Most delicious waffle! They use a sweet cream in their batter, and boy is it nummy! Hubs got chicken fried steak w/apple crisp for dessert (he brought it home).

For supper tonight, we'll be having Papa Murphy's Cowboy Pizza. That way neither my mom nor I have to cook (hubs didn't want my mom to because this is the 6th anniversary of my dad's homegoing...it's a rough day for her).

• Members

I had to go to the health centre today,  It took ages for me to get the snow off the car.  Our road was compacted snow and very slippery,  When I got to the bottom of the hill there was a couple throwing snowballs at each other from across the road. When I had just about reached them. their child ran across the road just in front of me.  I was doing about 10mph and if I had been doing any more on the ic#y surface, it would have been a nasty accident.

This evening I did egg salad with sauteed potatoes.

• Members

Our Wednesday meeting was cancelled last night due to the snow,

My sister who lives in the west country, called yesterday to see if we were alright.  They did not have snow.and don't usually get any.  While we are still getting snow from the east, there is now storm Emma coming from the south west which is bringing snow storm to the west country and Wales as well as Ireland.

My sister said they had major snow storms today,

Our local weather report said today was the coldest March day on record and it is supposed to be the first day of spring.

I did leek soup this evening.  Thinking tomorrow I  may do leek and red lentil soup, it is supposed to be warming.

• Members

I had to go to the health centre this morning.  My car had solid ice on all the windows, which took a while. We had a rainy drizzle which froze on the snow and made it very slippery.  I only had to have an injection but when I got back to the car it had Ice all over it again.  later in the day it was snowing again.

Today I had ready meals which I noticed had been in the freezer for a long time.  Lunch time I had Thai Green chicken curry and rice and for supper I had Chicken in black bean sauce with egg fried rice.

• Administrators

Hopefully our winter is ending. We've had a good bit of rain and wind, which is typical pre-spring weather for this area.

For supper tonight, my hubs will be having leftover steak and fixin's. I'm getting ready to fry some bacon and will fix an egg to go with it.

• Members
17 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

No argument here WW..... steak are good!     :23_5_104:

Steak is good.

Today my daughter and some of her family came to lunch.  I wasn't sure if they would come due to the weather, so I got some beef out of the freezer and made a beef stew in the slow cooker, and some baked potatoes in the oven.  Mushrooms sautée with herbs in butter, and steamed broccoli, (Used to be called Calabrese )  At the  last minute I heard that they were coming as the snow was thawing and they were thinking of changing their car which we have trouble getting in and they wanted us to try some other seven seaters because they think we may be relying more on them in the future.

This afternoon we had heavy rain.  The weather warning is now for floods due to melting snow, high tides and heavy rain in our area.  In the south west they still have many places cut off by snow and in the north, there is thick ice.  Our readings this month are from Job.  I am sure that must apply somehow.

Oh by the way the beef stew was very successful and popular, but with one glitch. My eight year old granddaughter said she hadn't got any stew, and I knew I had done one for her.  Then we noticed that my wife had been given her plate and she is a vegetarian. Soon sorted out though.

For supper, I did egg, bacon and tomato with French bread.

• Members

I did Pot au Feu on Monday and there was enough left for several days.  It is an old French dish which means pot on the fire.  Recipes I have read give several cuts of beef,  but I just used brisket.  Some recipes also add lamb so I added a bit of lamb.  It is cooked slowly in a pot with vegetables and herbs. I got a smallish joint of brisket and a shank of lamb half price in Sainsburies supermarket.  I did it in the slow cooker.  It should have a marrow bone but I couldn't get one.    It is said to be three meals in one.  You have the marrow spread on toast. the meat and vegetables as a meal and the broth as a soup.  I had the latter for supper with French bread for supper today.

I have cubed a bit of the left over meat and frozen it and intend to make a curry with it later. as we are hopping across the channel to France tomorrow for a couple of days to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary on Friday.   On Saturday my younger daughter has booked for about 20 to have a meal at Salt And Light Bistro in Herne Bay, owned by one of our church members as a joint celebration as one of her daughters who was 18 on 9th March..  Our former foster son who lives in Nevada said he would come over but he has not confirmed that.  Another who lives about 30 miles away said he is coming.  Of all the foster children we have had, they are the only two who keep in touch.

• Members
On 09/03/2018 at 1:16 AM, HappyChristian said:

Happy 50th, @Invicta! I hope your celebration is wonderful.

We'll be having leftovers of our beef pot roast from last night, with veggies and salad.

Thank you.  We had about 26.  Just about the maximum for Luke's place.  Over half had steak, some had cod and some had vegetarian.  Luke and his staff did a good job considering he only had  a small domestic cooker.  His large catering oven should arrive tomorrow.  

Our granddaughter Jemimah was 18 last week and got engaged to the son of a pastor, who sometimes preaches at our church.. In fact he is due to preach next Lord's day. So his family were also there. 

I did slow cooked beef stew today, with roast celeriac, butternut and parsnip with steamed charlotte potatoes and carrots.  I did multicoloured carrots.  Plain ordinary everyday carrots, yellow carrot and violet carrot all sliced together.  The problem was the violet one leached its colour over everything else like beetroot or red cabbage..  When I grew some like that the colour was only in the skin and they were deep orange inside.

Edited by Invicta