• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members
5 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

We'll be having meatloaf, mashed potatoes, veggies, salad

I had salmon with mashed potatoes, steamed green beans, Chantenay carrots and celery.  

There was a lot of mash left over from our seniors lunch yesterday, as we had shepherds pie, and as I hate waste, and as I mashed it I brought some home.  There is a great difference between mashing for two of us and up to 50,  I didn't want them to throw it away. There was a large catering size can of tomatoes in the pie and some of the juice was left.  I did a bit or the preparing for the vegetarian version.  Helen, our cook, prepares the base and leaves me to adjust the seasoning and the herbs,  I also did a tomato sauce with some of the juice left from the tomatoes.  The washer up asked if he should throw the remainder of the juice away, but I said "no" and froze two small pots and I will use them in the future for other sauces,

The mash I brought home, yesterday evening I added seasoning, cream cooked cabbage and spring onions, a touch of powdered garlic and baked it .

Enough left for tomorrow with salmon again.

I usually add powdered garlic to my mash, but sometimes do a saffron mash, have you tried that?

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, Invicta said:

I usually add powdered garlic to my mash, but sometimes do a saffron mash, have you tried that?

I have had garlic in my mashed potatoes, but I've never had saffron in anything. I've heard it's very tasty as long as it's not overdone.

• Members
23 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

What sort of flavor does it impart? 

Well I hate to say this, but a saffron flavour.

I can't describe it as it is unlike any other flavour.  It is the most expensive spice. Mine cost £4 for .4 of a grammme.  That is  £10,000 per kg if my math is correct.  A kg is 2.2 lbs.    

We had an interesting series on TV a year or two ago, called The Spice Trail, which told where the various spices came from.  In Roman times, Pepper was more expensive that gold.  Most of the spices from India and Ceylon were carried by  Arab camel caravans, and in the west we didn't know where they came from until the explorers led by the Portuguese discovered the source.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Invicta said:

Well I hate to say this, but a saffron flavour.

I can't describe it as it is unlike any other flavour.  It is the most expensive spice. Mine cost £4 for .4 of a grammme.  That is  £10,000 per kg if my math is correct.  A kg is 2.2 lbs.    

Heh - I asked for that, eh? :4_joy:

• Members
21 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Heh - I asked for that, eh? :4_joy:

Paella has saffron in it and so does the French fish soup/stew, bouillabaisse,  Saffron rice does well with fish.  

The English Marigold, Calendula is known as Poor Man's Saffron, but I have never tried it.

• Members

It should be our seniors lunch tomorrow, but due to the forecast snow we may have to cancel it.  We have only about two inches here at present but some helpers come from Canterbury and they usually get much more than we do as they are on the other side of the downs.  Heavy snow is forecast due to what is being called "The Beast From The East" and arctic blast which they say is coming from Siberia.  

Helen, our cook,  was at church this morning cooking the meat (pork) I don't eat pork so I have done  some extra chicken to take tomorrow, if the lunch is on.

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

Last night my mom fixed pork chops for supper - my hubs' request for his birthday dinner (his birthday was Sunday, mine yesterday). Today we are going out for lunch. We will either go to IHOP (free pancakes for our birthday) or Black Bear (free breakfast for me for my birthday, free dessert/coffee for my hubs for joining their email club - next year he'll get a free breakfast). Nice way to celebrate. :11_blush: