• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

@Jim_Alaska   Jim, when i was looking at fish in the freezer dept of a supermarket, I saw some which was just labelled White Fish.  When I looked closer it said it was Alaskan  Pollock.  Do you know what this fish is like?  It was about ½ the price of any other fish.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Invicta said:

@Jim_Alaska   Jim, when i was looking at fish in the freezer dept of a supermarket, I saw some which was just labelled White Fish.  When I looked closer it said it was Alaskan  Pollock.  Do you know what this fish is like?  It was about ½ the price of any other fish.

Alaskan Pollock is a good eating white fish. It s probably inexpensive because it is plentiful. Many prepared fish products use Pollock. MacDonald's uses it for their fish sandwich.

• Administrators

LOL  WW  I can identify with the "some vegetable I wont eat" part. Generally speaking, I don't like veggies, I'm a meat and potatoes guy. I do give in and eat veggies at times. I guess it is just certain veggies I don't like and it is a chore to eat them. Interestingly enough, I tend to like the stronger tasting veggies, like cabbage, spinach, kale, asparagus. I am partial to corn though.

Last night I had "something", I don't know what to call it, but it consisted of pleasantly spiced hamburg served over home made noodles. It was enjoyable. I haven't been privy to tonight's menu yet.

• Members
21 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Alaskan Pollock is a good eating white fish. It s probably inexpensive because it is plentiful. Many prepared fish products use Pollock. MacDonald's uses it for their fish sandwich.

Thanks Jim.  I did read a review on the web and it said that it was tastier than cod,  Cod is not bad but not my favourite, I like Haddock, Sea Bass, Salmon.  When I go to our fish and chippie, I usually get the senior citizens cod and chips, as it is somewhat less expensive than haddock, which I prefer.  

There was a spat in recent year of our supermarkets selling Vietnamese River Cobbler.  I have never bought it as such but I think is was the smoked fish I once bought in a pack of fish pie mix.  

I don't know how our supermarkets get away with selling Extra Large Cod, or Haddock  battered  fillets which are half the size or less as the regular fillets in our chippies.

I did crispy aromatic duck for lunch.   I had some left over and some stir fry left over from yesterday, so for supper I had Duck and vegetable in black bean sauce for supper.  No leftovers for tomorrow.  

• Administrators

I am originally from a small historical fishing town named Gloucester, Mass. Haddock is a staple there and always used for either baked fish or for fried fish. Until I left there I never knew that Cod was used for anything other than chowder. It is interesting how different fish is used in different places. On the west coast where I am now, there is no Haddock at all unless you go to a store and buy a pre-breaded package of fillets to fry, which interestingly enough is caught and processed in Gloucester, Mass. There is no Haddock in west coast waters.

• Members

Our fishing industry has been decimated by over fishing and the EU common fisheries policy.  Also the waters are warmer so herring have moeed somewhere else;  When we were children the only fish we ate was herring which my mum used to fry till it was crispy, but now our herring fishery is decimated.  

Due to the fishing policies, fisherman are only allowed to land a certain quota of each type of fish, and no undersize fish.  The result of this if they are fishing for one type of fish and they catch another type for which the quota has been reached, they have to throw them back with any undersize fish.  These fish die . i cannot see the point of that.  Our salmon is mostly farmed in Scotland, sea bass (French call it loupe de mer, that is sea wolf) I noticed recently is sometimes farmed in Turkey.

• Members

I obviously didn't follow the cooking directions correctly, or there were steps missing. My meal came out all bad and my wife pretended as if she liked it. I could see right throught that poker face :(

Edited by (Omega)