• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members
7 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I can't imagine a sardine salad. I love sardines, but don't think I would like a salad made out of them.

When I was a kid in school my mother used to mash up sardines like you make a tuna fish sandwich and make sandwiches out of them. None of the kids would sit near me because of the smell. 

Sardines were from a can.  I had some left over from yesterday.

My favourite salad is Salad Niçoise.  It has Tuna, or Salmon, egg, anchovies, salad and warm potatoes and green beans.  Quite substantial. 

• Members

I met my granddaughter and her young man and bought them lunch in a bistro run by one of our church members.She is 21 on Friday , studying in Surrey university, but she has cancer in her right ovary.  She has been loosing her hair and came down last week for a fitting for wig and came today to collect it.  She came here because the price was about half whet it was in the London area.  If she was under 18 she would have got it free.

This evening I did a fish gratin. (salmon, prawns and anchovy fillets.)

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Invicta said:

I had ribeye steak, roast potatoes, steamed green beans and carrots and roast shallot.

I am very partial to Ribeye  steak, when I can afford it. To my it is just about the best cut as far as taste goes.

• Members

Beef casserole at our seniors lunch today.  Served with mashed potatoes, green beans and carrots. with  Pineapple sponge and custard for dessert.  There was a lot of mash left so I brought some home and used some for supper.

For my wife I did a cheese and mash topped with goats cheese baked, and served with mushrooms, and I made salmon fishcakes with green salad for myself.

Plenty of mash left over.  I will have to think of what to make with it over the next couple of days.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Invicta said:

We had eggs in the oven this evening.  We had a large lunch so just a snack this evening.

Invicta, what did you mean by "eggs in the oven?"  I don't think I have ever heard of cooking eggs in the oven. How do you prepare them?

• Members
11 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Invicta, what did you mean by "eggs in the oven?"  I don't think I have ever heard of cooking eggs in the oven. How do you prepare them?

It is very simple.  Whisk and season a couple of eggs.  I put a tablespoon of cream in the bottom of a dish a bit larger than a ramekin then the eggs.  You can add any flavourings.  I added chives, and a few bacon lardons which I had previously cooked and topped with Cheese.  I added cheddar to mine and goat's cheese for my wife but no bacon.  Bake in the oven for about  minutes. They are done when they have puffed up like a soufflé.  I forgot, grease the dishes first as the eggs will stick badly.  I have done this several times and didn't grease them. I am a slow learner.

If you cook them too much the eggs become dry.

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

That sounds good Invicta, I'll have to try it.

My wife makes something similar, but without the cream. She cooks it in the microwave, which makes it a very fast cooking time. She does add cheddar cheese and it does puff up. This makes a perfect breakfast sandwich because it is round if you use a round microwave dish. I'll have to try it the way you described because if we use a whisk on the eggs they expand too much in the microwave. The only way they don't expand too much is to just break the yolks, but don't whisk them.