• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members
4 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Today is Thanksgiving Day here in the US. We will have the traditional meal: turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans and corn, cranberry, rolls. And for dessert pumpkin, apple, and rhubarb pies (not to mention the cookies in the cookie jar).

Lots of food, with lots of leftovers for munching over the next few days. And lots of thanks and praise to our God above for all He has given and all the He is. 

May all who read this (who are in the US) have a wonderful, thankful Thanksgiving.

Enjoy your celebration.

We know a US missionary pastor in France who tries to introduce thanksgiving  to those who attend his church.

I receive recipes each day from a French company called Marmiton.
Today's email was Menu de thanks giving.
It included Dinde farcie accompagnée de marrons. (Turkey stuffed with chestnuts. On their website, if you get the google English translation it says 'Browns" as marron is brown as well as chestnut.)

Also, Fête traditionnelle aux USA, Thanksgiving est une fête familiale célébrée le 4ème jeudi de novembre. Mashed Potatoes Comme chez Mamie (like mummy makes)

Anyway, enjoy your thanksgiving meal.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, Invicta said:

Enjoy your celebration.

We know a US missionary pastor in France who tries to introduce thanksgiving  to those who attend his church.

I receive recipes each day from a French company called Marmiton.
Today's email was Menu de thanks giving.
It included Dinde farcie accompagnée de marrons. (Turkey stuffed with chestnuts. On their website, if you get the google English translation it says 'Browns" as marron is brown as well as chestnut.)

Also, Fête traditionnelle aux USA, Thanksgiving est une fête familiale célébrée le 4ème jeudi de novembre. Mashed Potatoes Comme chez Mamie (like mummy makes)

Anyway, enjoy your thanksgiving meal.

Thank you, we did. And it was good to spend time with family. Our son is still in Indiana, but he was able to video call us this evening and we were able to chat a bit.  Can't wait til May when he's supposed to be moving up here. Yay!

Thanks for the recipe! I'm not sure I'd like chestnuts stuffed in the turkey - I'm not crazy about stuffing from the turkey. Although I would taste it, because I do like chestnuts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

We had a veggie day today. For lunch I did Aubergine Parmigiana. With roast Chanternay carrots and green beans.  Helen our chief (usually only) cook for our seniors lunch and it is their Christmas lunch on Tuesday and she has tried a veggie dish for those who are.  There are only two at present, my wife is the only veggie but two others prefer our veggie meals to meat, but one has not been for a while.  there is another who doesn't like pork, and has veggie when we have that .  She brought something for us to try, which h she couldn't think of the name.  It had  chestnuts and spinach and other things in puff pastry.  She brought one for me and asked my opinion as she thought it was a bit tasteless,  We had it for supper and we thought it was quite nice,  My wife said she thought it needed more seasoning and I said I would have added some Marigold Swiss Bouillon  and a bit of oregano or thyme.  

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators

That sounds tasty.

Yesterday we had our pie social at church - with roast beef pot pie, pizza pie, and Romanian Shepherd's Pie. For dessert there was lemon meringue pie, cherry pie, and almond joy pie (as well as brownies).

Tonight we had hamburgers and fries.

• Members

It was our seniors  Christmas lunch today.  We usually have a suggested minimum donation of £2.50 which just about covers the cost of the food. Today it was free as one of our members, Edith died and at her funeral her family asked if any donations were made, they would like them to go towards the lunches.

We start with a short gospel message.

We had home made parsnip soup, Roast turkey, roast potatoes, carrots,, green beans, Brussels sprouts, piggies in blankets, with cranberry sauce, with a choice of Christmas Pudding, strawberry gateau, fruit trifle, and a couple of us had fruit salad and cream,  Then they sang carols, and ended with tea or coffee and hot mince pies. Including helpers, there were just over 50 of us.

There was also a veggie option, I am not sure what was in it, but it was very nice It was some sort of vegetable mixture in a puff pastry roll, with a leek sauce.  Helen, our cook, did one at the end of last week and brought it for my wife and I to try, and for any suggestions. We suggested more seasoning and herbs like oregano.  I usually help doing the veggie bit, but had a fall Sunday evening and wasn't felling too good.

We invite any speakers and their wives who have given the message during the year to join us, We had three and two wives and one daughter,

• Members

Today, I roasted chicken breasts atop red and yellow peppers, onions and garlic sliced thinly, au gratin potatos, and zuchinni.  I love the convection feature on my oven (we have both regular and convection as an option for our appliance) as it allows everything to get done more rapidly and it provides a nice crunchy, toasty top for the potatoes while still keeping the boneless, skinless chicken breasts moist internally.

• Members
12 hours ago, 4everHis said:

Today, I roasted chicken breasts atop red and yellow peppers, onions and garlic sliced thinly, au gratin potatos, and zuchinni.  I love the convection feature on my oven (we have both regular and convection as an option for our appliance) as it allows everything to get done more rapidly and it provides a nice crunchy, toasty top for the potatoes while still keeping the boneless, skinless chicken breasts moist internally.

Sounds good.  We have a fan oven in the kitchen which I like.

We don't have a dining room and use our conservatory as a dining room an use a combination microwave out there  for oven cooking as it is rather cold in this weather  and it saves having to use another heat source to warm the room up.

Tomorrow we are plannoing to go the France for the day and I expect the meal we would have will be called Repas de Noêl

• Members

Well we went to France. We booked it some time ago before the weather forecast was for storms today.  Ferry was over an hour late leaving in the morning and the sea was a bit rough.  Wasn't too bad while we were sitting down, but I found it difficult to walk without my stick and holing onto a had rail when there was one. Coming back it was well over an hour late but much calmer.  

I had my usual for that restaurant, Roast ham and a selection of vegetables.  The most tender ham I have tasted anywhere.  

While we were doing our shopping in the hypermarket, there were a lot of French students in pairs with questionaires for all the English they found.  "ow do you celebrate Christmas?"  My wife told them how we pronounce How, with an h, as the French don't pronounce the H in words.  

One of the questions was "What do you eat for Christmas?"  I can't remember what we said but I head another conversation and the man said "Yorkshire pudding"  I expect that got them confused.

My wife kept answering in French, but I said "You should answer in English" "I know she said but I have difficulty speaking to French people in English, the reason we come to France is that I can speak in French."  We were once in a restaurant and the waiter kept speaking to her in English and she said "Speak to me in French, if you want to speak to me in English come to England then I will speak to you in English."  I felt a bit sorry for him as I expect he wanted to practice his English as she did her French,

• Members
20 hours ago, 4everHis said:

What is "Repas de Noêl"?  Sounds interesting.

Noêl = Christmas

Repas = Meal, usually evening meal.  So Christmas Dinner,

Often  in small ads in papers there is HR, which took us a long time to work our what that stood for.  We eventually worked out it stood for Heures de Repas,  That is meal times.

Today I had bacon and grilled tomatoes with French bread.

• Members

The ferry that we travelled to France on, The Pride of Kent. on Thursday, ran aground today outside Calais in high winds, trapping 200 or  300 passengers, the news reports varied. I wonder if they gave them a free meal.  

• Members
20 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Whoa! I'm glad you weren't aboard at the time! I hope nobody was hurt.

It was very rough on the journey out  but somewhat better on the way home.

Today I had fish'n'chips.