• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Administrators

Chicken leg and thigh, first cooked in a pressure cooker, then roasted to brown it. Also having beet greens for a veggie. These are cooking now.

The pressure cooker idea is new, as is the pressure cooker my wife just bought. It is a counter top model that has its own electric plate inside of it. I had never seen any kind except the ones that go on the stove top. It has different settings for different degrees of tenderness. Quite a difference from the older ones. I'll let you know how this works out.

• Administrators

OK, so here is the report on the new pressure cooker. First off I have to  correct the vegetable we had, it was not beet greens, it was collard greens. I have to say that they were the best I have ever had. My wife cooked them in the new cooker with chopped onions, a dash of cooking oil and a dash of chicken broth. They came out so tender and flavorful that it was hard to believe the difference from how they are normally cooked.

The chicken leg and thigh cooked in the new cooker is going to take some experimenting to get it right. It didn't come out like she planned so she finished it off in the oven. All in all it was a delicious dinner and the collard greens really enhanced the experience.

I'm not much of a guy for veggies, although when I have them I tend to like very strong tasting veggies, like collard greens beet greens, spinach and kale. I do like corn, but don't care for green beans in any form, or any kind of squash, carrots or parsnips.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

OK, so here is the report on the new pressure cooker. First off I have to  correct the vegetable we had, it was not beet greens, it was collard greens. I have to say that they were the best I have ever had. My wife cooked them in the new cooker with chopped onions, a dash of cooking oil and a dash of chicken broth. They came out so tender and flavorful that it was hard to believe the difference from how they are normally cooked.

The chicken leg and thigh cooked in the new cooker is going to take some experimenting to get it right. It didn't come out like she planned so she finished it off in the oven. All in all it was a delicious dinner and the collard greens really enhanced the experience.

I'm not much of a guy for veggies, although when I have them I tend to like very strong tasting veggies, like collard greens beet greens, spinach and kale. I do like corn, but don't care for green beans in any form, or any kind of squash, carrots or parsnips.

Seems you mostly dislike those I like and vice versa. I do like Kale though. and that Italian kind, but I can't remember its name, something Nero.I don't like beet greens, or Chard, I have not heard of Collard greens. We do have a number of Collard Doves visiting our garden, but I don't expect they are related.

• Members
6 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

The doves may not be related, but may be very tasty.  :15_yum:

They may be a bit small.  We also  have wood pigeons in the garden, which are bigger.  I once saw some, wood pigeons dressed, in Smithfield meat market in London and they still  looked very small.  

The French have Pousins (chicks) which are very small chickens. Not much meat on them.  They seem to be catching on over here, but they are expensive.

• Members

I did cous cous today,  Spicy vegetable stew with Ras el Hanout* , a mixture of spices , with a lamb chop a chipolata, and a merguez. 

Very tasty,

*also Raz el Hanout.  I came across a recipe recently that had both spellings in it.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Invicta said:

I did cous cous today,  Spicy vegetable stew with Ras el Hanout* , a mixture of spices , with a lamb chop a chipolata, and a merguez. 

Very tasty,

*also Raz el Hanout.  I came across a recipe recently that had both spellings in it.

I had never heard of that, so I had to look it up. =D  Very interesting - and I read that there is another spelling as well - Rass el hanout. Apparently it means "head of the shop" and is supposed to be the best spices. 

What type of spice is it - earthy, hot, etc?

I've never had cous cous either, although I would like to try it some time.

We had hamburger gravy over biscuits. Doesn't sound anywhere near as interesting as your meal! LOL

• Administrators
8 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

We had hamburger gravy over biscuits. Doesn't sound anywhere near as interesting as your meal! LOL

Any kind of gravy is the staff of life.

My dinner last night consisted of pan fried chicken livers, a huge mound of fresh broccoli, and an ear fresh corn.

I know most people don't like liver, but I like any kind of liver, especially chicken liver.

• Members

My wife blessed me today.

When I was growing up, my mother would often make a dish that she called "Rice Stuff". I guess it could be considered a poor man's Oriental dish? It consists of ground beef, scrambled eggs, and chopped onions...all mixed in together with rice...topped off with soy sauce.

I absolutely love it! 

RICE STUFF! 

• Members
On 12/10/2017 at 6:25 AM, HappyChristian said:

I had never heard of that, so I had to look it up. =D  Very interesting - and I read that there is another spelling as well - Rass el hanout. Apparently it means "head of the shop" and is supposed to be the best spices. 

What type of spice is it - earthy, hot, etc?

I've never had cous cous either, although I would like to try it some time.

I prefer one Ras el Hanout  that I buy in France under the brand Ducros, it is mildly hot, but I have tried other brands but they never taste the same.  Some have chili in and some don't, one I bought locally does not have chili but black pepper.  

Cous cous is a type of pasta but very small grains.  In France they sell two grades, fin (fine) and moyen (medium) we like the latter, but here. they just seem to do one grade and that is about the same as fin.  We usually try to get a day trip to France once a month for my wife to keep up her French, but is also our day out and cheaper than going to London for the day. We are about ½ way between London and Calais including the channel. I have not been too well recently so have put off going.  

Today I had lamb's liver and bacon in gravy with baby potatoes and green beans.  That is a very cheap meat and it was ½ price so even better.