• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members
10 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Center cut loin pork chops, done to perfection by yours truly. White rice and beans, done separately.

Don't like pork.  Not keen on rice without sauce, except perhaps with steamed salmon.  Kay only likes brown rice, but I am not keen on its texture.  You don't say what sort of beans. 

• Administrators

I can't speak to the beans Invicta, they were my wife's recipe. I'm not much of a bean person, but I do eat them if they are served. My wife also likes brown rice, but I, like you don't care for the texture.

I remember you said you don't like pork. I find that hard to imagine. Pork roast with pork gravy is one of my favorites. I would love to see your reaction to the way I cook pork chops.

• Members
14 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I can't speak to the beans Invicta, they were my wife's recipe. I'm not much of a bean person, but I do eat them if they are served. My wife also likes brown rice, but I, like you don't care for the texture.

I remember you said you don't like pork. I find that hard to imagine. Pork roast with pork gravy is one of my favorites. I would love to see your reaction to the way I cook pork chops.

So many sorts of beans.  

Green beans.  Bobby beans, fine beans, very fitne beans, extra fine beans, flat  beans, runner beans, etc.

Dried beans/canned beans.  Haricot beans, borlotti beans, canelleni beans, flagelot beans, red kidney beans, white kidney beans, broad beans, butter beans/ fr. Spanish beans/ US Lima beans.  (French butter beans are a ceamy coloured version of grreen beans) balck eyed beans, black beans, Edamame beans which are sometimes in ready meals and I wish they weren't, and various chinese beans.  No doubt many others.

One pasta I don't like is  macaroni. When we were children, my aunt sometime gav us  macaroni  cheese and at other time  macaroni  milk pudding.  I like  most other pasta except one that the French call Invisibles, oh and I don't like pasta shells.

• Administrators

Sorry about the beans Invicta. When I think of beans I always think of dry beans that we usually make baked beans out of. usually if I mention beans in the context of a green vegetable I will say "green beans". I probably get this from being from New England and Boston in particular, which is locally called, "bean town".

My wife makes various recipes from scratch using different kinds of dry beans. The ones I referred to, she says are Haricot beans.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Sounds very much like my kind of mac and cheese LuAnne. If we were not so far apart I might try to wheedle an invite from you and Randy. Do you have a preference in cheese?

Mom uses both medium cheddar and cream cheese in her mac n cheese. If you were closer, you'd be welcome. =D

• Members
On 06/02/2017 at 7:33 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

Sorry about the beans Invicta. When I think of beans I always think of dry beans that we usually make baked beans out of. usually if I mention beans in the context of a green vegetable I will say "green beans". I probably get this from being from New England and Boston in particular, which is locally called, "bean town".

My wife makes various recipes from scratch using different kinds of dry beans. The ones I referred to, she says are Haricot beans.

My wife used to make a recipe called Boston Baked Beans.  She has not done it for years and I cannot remember what it was like. She also did a Napolean Bean Salad. Since she was ill 20 years ago I have done all the cooking.  My mum used to use haricot beans, but I cannot remember what she did with them.  You may know that haricot is French for beans. So haricot beans would be haricot haricot. So white beans would be haricot blanc.  Flagelot beans are haricot flagelot.  Red beans, haricot rouge. etc. I have been using some semi dried white beans which I bought in France about  years ago. I froze those that I did not use and planted some of them and grew my own. but then I saved my own seeds but a few months ago, my freezer went wrong so they are not frozen any more so I don't know if they will grow this year.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Our wedding anniversary today (49) For lunch I did crispy roast potatoes, artichoke and asparagus gratin and mushrooms for Kay and sirloin steak for myself.  For suppr I did salad with flagelot beans salad, and ham.

It is not easy doing cooking at present, as just over 2 weeks ago my son in law started to redo our kitchen. He ripped out the units and floor and repaired and rebuilt thr floor but when the kitchen units arrived they were not all there. When I enquired they said the rest were not in stock and would arrive on the 9th March (today)  Not easy cooking when all you have is a mini table top oven and microwave.

Edited by Invicta

• Members
5 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Our wedding anniversary today (49) For lunch I did crispy roast potatoes, artichoke and asparagus gratin and mushrooms for Kay and sirloin steak for myself.  For suppr I did salad with flagelot beans salad, and ham.

Crispy roast potatoes and sirloin steak, I'm in! My hearty, sincere congratulations on your anniversary, Sir. 49 years is quite a feat. My wife and I will celebrate our 26th on the 19th of this month. I will probably take her out to eat, as this house with 4 teenagers gets a bit blessedly hectic at times.

• Members
1 minute ago, weary warrior said:

Crispy roast potatoes and sirloin steak, I'm in! My hearty, sincere congratulations on your anniversary, Sir. 49 years is quite a feat. My wife and I will celebrate our 26th on the 19th of this month. I will probably take her out to eat, as this house with 4 teenagers gets a bit blessedly hectic at times.

I offered to take my wife out but she says she prefers my cooking.  I suggested we went to France for a couple of days, but she said we couldn't as we had a delivery.  So we are going for my birthday later this month.