• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

We went to our daughter and family for lunch today.  There were 10 of us.  We had turkey. gammon, roast potatoes and parsnip, carrots,mashed swede, lentil savoury, sprouts., and one of our granddaughters had some fish I brought her back from France, Poisson a la Bordelaise.  It was Frozen so we had to wrap it up in lots of cool bags and put it in our coolbox to keep it frozen for the journey back from France.  Had to do it again for the journey to our daughter but that was nowhere near as long. 

• Administrators

Yesterday we were joined for dinner by my sister and her three children and my oldest brother. My younger brother (and his family) and my son were no able to join us, but we really enjoyed having all of the ones who could get here together. We had turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes/gravy, sweet potatoes, veggies, cranberries, ham, rolls, and punch. Lovely and tasty dinner. And tonight we had reruns. =D

• Members
9 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

HC, if my memory serves me I seem to remember that on the east coast sliders are raw shucked oysters. Why are your rolls called sliders?

Our town, Whistable is noted for its oysters.  You are supposed to swallow them live, I suppose that is what you mean as sliders?  We have an oyster festival every year, but as we are only a small town we have had to cut it down for next year as this year we had so much rowdyism and drunkeness from youths coming down from London qnd other places.

I will just add that I have never eaten an oyster, and only once went to the oyster festival and that was for a food festival in the harbour.

• Administrators

Yes Invicta, I do mean live oysters. I love seafood, but have always hated oysters whether raw or cooked.

I am originally from Gloucester, Massachusetts, a town named for a town in England. It is the oldest fishing town in America, established in the mid 1600's.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

HC, if my memory serves me I seem to remember that on the east coast sliders are raw shucked oysters. Why are your rolls called sliders?

Sliders are small sandwiches, typically hamburgers - White Castle popularized the term in relation to burgers. As to the oyster sliders, elsewhere they are called "shooters." And, yuck to oysters, raw or otherwise. =D

The rolls we used aren't sliders, but because of their size our burgers became sliders.

• Members
12 hours ago, weary warrior said:

Au gratin potatoes w/ham and a big grilled cheese sandwich on sourdough bread, washed down with sweet tea.

Sounds good except for the sweet tea.  I like my tea without sugar. What about some green veggies for vitamines?

• Members

Today we had a large lunch at our seniors Bethany Lunch Club.  So we just had a slice each of caremelised onion and cheese and pickle quiche and grilled tomatoes.

Edited by Invicta