• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

Today I made Glamorgan vegetarian sausages for my wife and I did a Roast beef for me. I don't usually do roast as there is only me to eat meat and steak is expensive.  I have enough left over for two days at least, Did roast button mushrooms , roast squash and roast red onions.  I also did steamed carrots, celery and Brussels sprouts, however I forgot to put the vegetables in in time and we dis not need them anyway, so I added a bit of onion and leek to all the vegetables and left overs and made a vegetable soup  and added some cream, which we had when we got home from our evening service.

• Members

Grilled lamb. cauliflower cheese, braised red cabbage, steamed potatoes, carrot and Brussels sprouts.  I also did grilled squash but it didn't get cooked in time so I will have to think of something to do with it tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't eat pork and when the have Pork at our seniors lunch I usually take my own meat or have the vegetarian option.

Next Tuesday we will hold our Christmas lunch, we be having turkey as usual.  How boring.  I may be doing the veggie option, I may have that.

• Administrators

I love turkey too. I can't even imagine not liking pork. Pork roast is especially good, love that gravy. I have a recipe for pork chops that might change Invicta's mind, unless he just really does not like the taste of any pork. Many times preparation makes all the difference. For instance, I don't care for pumpkin pie, but I just had some tonight that was wonderful. It was a home recipe I had not had before and the texture and taste were not like any other I had ever had.

• Members
On 29/11/2016 at 9:44 PM, Invicta said:

I don't eat pork and when the have Pork at our seniors lunch I usually take my own meat or have the vegetarian option.

Next Tuesday we will hold our Christmas lunch, we be having turkey as usual.  How boring.  I may be doing the veggie option, I may have that.

I take the last sentence back. I  cut my left thumb badly yesterday. I have lots of dressings on it and have my arm in a sling. I won't be able to do anything in the kitchen.

• Members
On 30/11/2016 at 0:27 AM, HappyChristian said:

I love turkey...

When I worked in an office in London We went for our annual Christmas meal.  Very few had turkey most had other options. We once went to an Italian restaurant. I had trout  in a delicious cream sauce with cockles When we go to France  we never see turkey for Noel, more often salmon. Once I had cerf, red deer. 

When we were children during the war, there was very little food around, especially meat.  We usually had chicken or rabbit as my dad used to keep them, They were  very thin as they did not get much food either. Chickens were fed  on potato peelings and cornmeal.

The traditional English celebration meal before turkeys arrived was goose and although some people have goose today it is very expensive

Edited by Invicta

• Administrators
On 12/1/2016 at 11:30 AM, Invicta said:

When I worked in an office in London We went for our annual Christmas meal.  Very few had turkey most had other options. We once went to an Italian restaurant. I had trout  in a delicious cream sauce with cockles When we go to France  we never see turkey for Noel, more often salmon. Once I had cerf, red deer. 

When we were children during the war, there was very little food around, especially meat.  We usually had chicken or rabbit as my dad used to keep them, They were  very thin as they did not get much food either. Chickens were fed  on potato peelings and cornmeal.

The traditional English celebration meal before turkeys arrived was goose and although some people have goose today it is very expensive

Yes, I think turkey is more of an American tradition for Thanksgiving/Christmas.  I have never had goose.

• Administrators

When my hubs was in college, there were several married students in attendance. We all learned, together, how to stretch our food budgets and pray in supplies. My hubs hit a deer...meat for weeks!  Another friend hit a deer, same thing. One of the wives told me about the time they were praying for meat. I can't remember if it was her or her hubby, but one of them looked out onto the pond near their house and there was a duck - FROZEN to the ice. Her hubby got the duck and that's what they ate. I think it was the first time, but they sure did enjoy it. (of course, she cooked it first =D )