• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Cornish game hens baked over a bed of wild Oregon Truffles found yesterday while hiking, first harvest of spring greens and radishes from my garden, mashed potatoes with truffle gravy, strawberry lemonade made from scratch, and fresh u-pick strawberries for shortcake.

• Members

Cornish game hens baked over a bed of wild Oregon Truffles found yesterday while hiking, first harvest of spring greens and radishes from my garden, mashed potatoes with truffle gravy, strawberry lemonade made from scratch, and fresh u-pick strawberries for shortcake.

​Sounds good.  We have been picking our spring greens for a moth or so.  The first year I have grown them. I had only two rows about 4 yards each, but I have had to give some away. I still have one row and I need their space to put some leeks in. I have never had much success with radishes, I don't know why.  I had had a few this year, but not many.  We are using my last over wintered lettuce  and when my daughter came yesterday I gave her some of my spring sown lettuces and some spring greens to take home.

I suppose what you call u-pick, we call PYO or pick your own.  Not so popular now as it was 30 years ago.

Tonight I had left over cous cous.  I did it for my daughter and family last night.  I usually make it in a wok, but yesterday did it in my slow cooker..  Here is how.  I usually fry some of the vegetables but yesterday just added then to the slow cooker 

I switched on the slow cooker and added a couple of cans of chopped tomatoes, rinsed out the cans with water and added that to the cooker then added the vegetables. All of them chopped to about the same size.

A couple of medium to large onions, a leek or two, a couple of sticks of celery, a couple of carrots,  a red bell pepper nor two, a courgette or two, an aubergine (egg plant) two or three cloves of garlic.  You could also add some celeriac or turnip.  I think I also added some fennel and chopped green beans.  I also added a can of chick peas. 

For seasoning I add some vegetable stock cubes or granules to taste.  If unlike me you don't have vegetarians in your family you could use chicken stock.  Ras el Hanout  aka cous cous spices. add to taste.  This was started at 1.00 and we ate at about 6.30. this should serve 6 to 8 persons

For the vegetarians serve this with the cous cous.

For the meat eaters.  I piece of chicken, I usually use thigh fillets but last night used breast, one piece of lamb, chop or leg steak.one merguez sausage, a spicy sausage that I used to buy in France, but I recently discovered that a butcher in our town makes them.  Put the meat in your oven at about 200C for  30 minutes  or so until done.

Prepare your cous cous grains shortly before serving,   Here I would add a difference in the amount of water to add to the cous cous.  On the packet of our French cous cous it gives one measure of cous cous to one of boiling water.  That which I bought in our local Tesco gives 1½ of water and one TV chef says one builders mug of cous cous to two of water.  I find equal measures nearest.  We also prefer the medium grain to the fine grain.

Prepare your cous cous as on the packet.  But I use a stainless steel sauté pan with a lid.  I add the measure of water plus a little to allow for some boiling away.  I put it on a high gas after adding salt and a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.  The latter helps to stop the grains from sticking together.   When it is boiling add the cous cous and stir, put the lid on and turn the heat off and leave for 5 minutes or so to enable it to absorb the water.  Add a knob or two of soft butter and flake up with a fork till all the grains are separate.

You can serve this in cous cous or pasta dishes.  Serve one ladle full of cous cous and one of the vegetable stew and one piece of each meat per person, or you can put it into three bowls and let your guests serve themselves.  This is very popular in our family.

The vegetable stew freezes well.

Oh I forgot.  Just before serving, put some of the juice from the veggie stew into a jug and add some Harissa paste and stir well, allow those who like it hot serve it over their meal.   If you can't find Harissa you could add some powdered chili of some other chili paste. 

• Members

I just found out that I have never had Jambalaya before in my life.  I just thought I had had it lots of times...Well, tonight some new members who have lived in Louisiana all their lives just made some authentic Crayfish Jambalaya for a pot luck.  WOW!  That was a taste of heaven...though some thought it may have been hot enough for hell...I had 3 bowls of it which I am afraid I am going to pay for tonight or tomorrow morning but it was soooo worth it!

• Members

bubble and squeak? what is that

​I have been asked that before.  It is left over over potato and cabbage mashed together and fried. When we were children we had it with bacon and we were told the vegetable hash was the bubble and the bacon was the squeak.  We can get it Frozen in Tesco, but why anyone would want to buy it frozen when it is so easy to make, is beyond me, I actually made it from left over baked potatoes from our church seniors lunch on Tuesday.  I was told that if I didn't take them they would be thrown away and as we were brought up in the war when there was very little to eat, we hate waste. I usually try to think of different ways to use leftovers.

• Members

Boneless barbecue pork ribs, fresh picked strawberries, blueberries, bing and ranier cherries, Texas Roadhouse Grill rolls from "copycat" recipe, baker potatoes (loaded), and grilled asparagus.  Fresh squeezed Strawberry Lemonade, and homemade Bing Cherry Bordeaux Ice Cream for dessert.  Gotta love summer barbecues after church!

Bro. Garry