• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

A chow chow is a breed of dog..... :lol:

Perhaps they are cooking the dog?  Korean recipe perhaps?

But seriously, I did not know what chow chow was, so I asked Mr Google and it seems there is a recipe as here http://www.tarladalal.com/Vegetable-Chow-Chow-4139r and also a type of squash 

http://chitra-ammas-kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/chow-chow-two-in-one-magic-vegetable.html

Edited by Invicta

• Moderators

Perhaps they are cooking the dog?  Korean recipe perhaps?

But seriously, I did not know what chow chow was, so I asked Mr Google and it seems there is a recipe as here http://www.tarladalal.com/Vegetable-Chow-Chow-4139r and also a type of squash 

http://chitra-ammas-kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2008/11/chow-chow-two-in-one-magic-vegetable.html

Hey, now, I like dog meat. I have a d-i-l that doesn't (I think it's just that they don't know how to fix it in Siberia)

• Administrators

We had a lab that was part Chow. Or Chow Chow.  hehe.

As to the edible chow chow, it is a relish which, depending on the recipe, uses a variety of veggies in it. It can be sweet, sour, mild, or spicy, depending on the tastes of the maker and eaters.  It can be red relish (red peppers/tomatoes...) or green (zucchini, green pepper, etc).  I've seen yellow chow chow (prOBably made from summer squash).  I'm not partial to it, but then - I'm not really fond of much relish.  Give me mayo, mustard, and in some cases ketchup and I am content.  :biggrin:

Salad last night was delicious - and we had ice cream for dessert.  Cherry Bordeaux Chocolate. Num, num!

Tonight it's hot dogs (and, no, no dogs will be harmed in the eating of them  :nuts: )

• Members

We had a lab that was part Chow. Or Chow Chow.  hehe.

As to the edible chow chow, it is a relish which, depending on the recipe, uses a variety of veggies in it. It can be sweet, sour, mild, or spicy, depending on the tastes of the maker and eaters.  It can be red relish (red peppers/tomatoes...) or green (zucchini, green pepper, etc).  I've seen yellow chow chow (prOBably made from summer squash).  I'm not partial to it, but then - I'm not really fond of much relish.  Give me mayo, mustard, and in some cases ketchup and I am content.  :biggrin:

Salad last night was delicious - and we had ice cream for dessert.  Cherry Bordeaux Chocolate. Num, num!

Tonight it's hot dogs (and, no, no dogs will be harmed in the eating of them  :nuts: )

Sounds like a beautiful mix of a dog, HC.  Well, my MIL called me back.  This is quite an extensive recipe.  I have seen her make it, labor over it before, so that is why I have passed in making it.  Buying it in the store is a lot less work.  :)  Anyway, here goes:

How to Make Chow Chow:

It is best made in the Fall b/c of the green tomatoes.

You need:

1 large onion
A bunch of celery
A peck or a basket of green tomatoes
1 head of cauliflower
1 red pepper

1 head of cabbage

It will make 12 jars.  Since it is just you and your hubby, she said you might want to cut the recipe into a 1/4.

How to Make the Brine:

It will make 12 quarts.  You need:

4 cups of sugar.
2 quarts of vinegar.  Of course you know that vinegar is great for keeping gall stones away b/c it cancels out the calcium in one's body.  Rarely will you find a Hungarian with gall stones.  Believe me, my husband's family loves vinegar.  LOL
You will need 1 1/2 quarts of vinegar if you are using less vegetables.  That will give you 14-15 quarts.

Kosher salt.

4 Tablespoons of pickling spice.
It will take you all day to cut up the vegetables.  She said a food processor will be just as good and much faster.

Take the vegetables and put into a big pan, put a handful of kosher salt and mix by hand or with a wooden spoon.  Cover it, and leave in a place in your house where no one can smell it, b/c before it is cooked, b/c it doesn't smell that great.

The next day, squeeze the water out of the vegetables.  Put in a pot.  Boil the Brine, and stir so the sugar dissolves.  Pickle and spice will make it smell good.

Stir and boil.  Cook for 20 minutes.  Put into canning jars.  Put the Brine to the lip of the jar.  Take a silver knife, and go around the jar to get the air out.  She boils the rubber lids in a pot of water.  Take them out with tonges, one buy one.  Leave a bit of space in the canning jar, and put your finger on the warm lid and twist it.  Put warm jars on a clean towel.  Leave them out for 24 hours.  You will hear or see them pop.  Store jars in basement for future use.

• Members

Thanks - that sounds like a relish I could - ahem - relish.  :icon_smile:

Yes, it is quite tasty LuAnne.  It actually has a sweet taste to it.  And, no relish.  ;)  BTW, you might want to make the whole recipe in the future, b/c you can store the jars, and they will last quite awhile.

• Administrators

Yes, it is quite tasty LuAnne.  It actually has a sweet taste to it.  And, no relish.   ;)  BTW, you might want to make the whole recipe in the future, b/c you can store the jars, and they will last quite awhile.

Yes, that is what I was thinking. My Dad could go through a jar of it in just a few meals - I know my hubby would love it.  He wouldn't eat it quite as much as my Dad, but I'm sure that one batch would likely last us about a year.

• Members

Yes, that is what I was thinking. My Dad could go through a jar of it in just a few meals - I know my hubby would love it.  He wouldn't eat it quite as much as my Dad, but I'm sure that one batch would likely last us about a year.

It WOULD last you about a year.  Joe would polish them off in a month, so I would be making Chow Chow all the time.  LOL

• Members

Chicken salad for lunch.

Vegetables for supper.  Potatoes and asparagus in Hollandaise sauce, Brussels sprouts, new carrots, fried mushrooms with onion and tomatoes.  Yummy.  I was intending to have salmon with it but forgot to get it out of the freezer.