• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

Nyquil and 7up tonight.  I have a really bad chest cold and I feel like coughing up a lung right now.   :sick:

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling well, Brother Garry.  This has been a bad year for colds and flu's.

Last night's dinner:  Roast, fresh mixed vegetables, and brown rice.  Brownies for dessert.

• Members

I am feeling much better today and now I am starving.  For some reason I have a real desire for Beef Stroganoff (sp?) but I don't like my recipe or the other 2 I have tried.  If anyone has a really good from scratch beef stroganoff recipe please post! Please don't post a recipe that uses "hamburger".  Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

Sorry - I use ground beef (usually ground sirloin) for my stroganoff, so you likely wouldn't care for it.  But you could substitute whatever beef you want with the way I fix it.  I simply make a beef gravy, add a can of cream of mushroom soup and sour cream (to taste) to the beef.  Pour it over or mix it in with noodles and voila!  Easy-peasy tasty stroganoff. We had it this past Saturday when our son and DIL came to visit.  It was quite tasty.

Tonight I'm planning on making the tuna patties I had planned for last week.  Hope I can make them (I never know if my hubby's going to change the menu  :icon_smile:  ).

• Members

HappyChristian, what receipe do you use for the tuna patties? Do you or anyone else have a receipe for potato cakes(pan-fried)? I was going to make some the other day when I had left over mashed potatoes, but couldn't remember how to make them.

Oh, and tonight I had my version of chili over rice, along with leftover alfredo chicken/veggies.

• Administrators

Li Bai, I mix the tuna (drained) with chopped onion, ground crackers, and egg (usually two eggs per three cans of tuna).  The cracker amount would depend on how "runny" the tuna mixture is. I add enough to help it form into a set patty.  Onions also are to taste.  I have, in the past, added chopped dill pickles to it.  That adds an interesting flavor.  And sometimes I will add spicy brown mustard or horseradish. All again to taste.  When I fry them, I always use butter with some oil (to keep the butter from burning).  

When I make potato cakes, I usually mix a bit of flour in with the potatoes to help it be a little more firm.   I have used eggs before, but don't like the way they cook up.  I tried rolling them in panko crumbs a couple of times, but that didn't work too well for me.  Just like with the tuna patties, I use butter with a little oil to fry them. Be careful of getting too much flour in the potato, though, because it can change the taste and texture and not for the better...And don't forget the salt!  :clapping: Oh - I've also used instant potato flakes to thicken up the leftover mashed potatoes at times. 

• Members

Just an FYI - tuna in oil seems to hold together a bit better than tuna in water.  I think it tastes better, too.

I use Tuna in oil for my Salad Niçoise.  I mix the left over oil with wine vinegar to make a dressing for the salad.

Today I had chicken salad sandwich.

• Members

Mrs. A is out of town, so I made a large batch of burgers to grill (extras to warm up later).  Felt bad because I forgot to make a few small ones without the spices for the Pup, per usual practice.  She did not seem to mind too much.  Kept her happy with lettuce and tomatoes, which she almost prefers to meat.

• Members

Mrs. A is out of town, so I made a large batch of burgers to grill (extras to warm up later).  Felt bad because I forgot to make a few small ones without the spices for the Pup, per usual practice.  She did not seem to mind too much.  Kept her happy with lettuce and tomatoes, which she almost prefers to meat.

When I was in France last, I heard someone asked how they wanted their burgers (steack haché) cooked.  He said "bleue."  I have never come across this before.

Today I had Heinz beans on toast.