• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Whats for Supper...

• Members

A local ice cream shop did Brussels Sprouts Ice Cream last Christmas.

As it happens I came across the following recipe the other day.  I haven't tried it yet.

SPROUT GRATIN WITH MUSTARD AND CRISPY BACON.

750g/1½ lb sprouts, halved.

4 rashers of smoked streaky bacon (or a few smoked lardons.)

1 250g pot of Crème Fraîche (about ½ cup?)

1 tbsp grainy mustard

50ml/2 fl oz semi skimmed milk

100g/3½ oz Gruyère cheese(I would probably use cheddar.)

1. Preheat oven to Gas 4  180c or 160c for a fan oven

Cook the sprouts in a large pan of boiling salted water for 3 mins, drain and refresh in iced water. Grease a large 28 x 22 cm, 11 x 9in oven dish with butter and add the sprouts.

2. Fry onion pieces in a pan over a medim hear until crisp. Set aside

3. mix together the Crème Fraîche, mustard and milk and pour over the sprouts.  Scatter with the Gruyère and the bacon.   Bake for 15-20 mins until golden, Serve immediately.

My notes.  I would think it may need a higher temperature and/or longer cooking time. 

In place of Crème Fraîche, you could use soured cream or heavy cream.

I have not tried sprouts this year as my dad said they are best when a good frost has got to them, and we have not had that yet.

• Administrators

Same with us, HC.  I just took out the meat about 10 minutes ago.  I am also defrosing one our our turkey for Thanksgiving, too.

My son and DIL are still with us (will be for about 3 weeks, other than Thanksgiving Day) and we were talking about what to have tonight (Tuesday is family night - date night when it's just me and hubby, but with them, it's back to family night  :clapping: ).  Tacos were suggested...we are all big fans of Mexican food, so it was decided.  

I have a turkey breast (a good size one, actually!) that I will cook on Friday. We (hubby and I) are going to a friend's house for dinner after church that morning, so I don't have to cook one that day. But we do love turkey, so will make it for the next.  Leftovers are soooooo great!

• Members

My son and DIL are still with us (will be for about 3 weeks, other than Thanksgiving Day) and we were talking about what to have tonight (Tuesday is family night - date night when it's just me and hubby, but with them, it's back to family night  :clapping: ).  Tacos were suggested...we are all big fans of Mexican food, so it was decided.  

I have a turkey breast (a good size one, actually!) that I will cook on Friday. We (hubby and I) are going to a friend's house for dinner after church that morning, so I don't have to cook one that day. But we do love turkey, so will make it for the next.  Leftovers are soooooo great!

Oh, that is so wonderful HC.  Are they spending Thanksgiving Day with your DIL's family?  I love your idea of date night and family night.  We do family night's with Joe's family.  We love Mexican, too!  Delicious.

That is so nice you will spend Thanksgiving with friends.  We are cooking one turkey for the Toth clan.  I believe there will be two more turkeys.  We are spending Thanksgiving Day at one of one of Joe's BIL's and our SIL's house.  Yes, we love those leftovers, too!  We are doing Christmas day again this year.  We spend Christmas Eve at his parent's house.  The holidays are so special.  Praise the Lord! 

• Administrators

Oh, that is so wonderful HC.  Are they spending Thanksgiving Day with your DIL's family?  I love your idea of date night and family night.  We do family night's with Joe's family.  We love Mexican, too!  Delicious.

That is so nice you will spend Thanksgiving with friends.  We are cooking one turkey for the Toth clan.  I believe there will be two more turkeys.  We are spending Thanksgiving Day at one of one of Joe's BIL's and our SIL's house.  Yes, we love those leftovers, too!  We are doing Christmas day again this year.  We spend Christmas Eve at his parent's house.  The holidays are so special.  Praise the Lord! 

Yes, they will be going down there (about 3 hours south) for the weekend.  Her aunt comes in once a year - on Thanksgiving - so, that is the only time she can see her. They'll also spend Christmas down there, but will be with us for New Year's.  Lasagna has been a tradition for us on Christmas.  We'll have it on New Year's Day with them instead this year.

• Members

Yes, they will be going down there (about 3 hours south) for the weekend.  Her aunt comes in once a year - on Thanksgiving - so, that is the only time she can see her. They'll also spend Christmas down there, but will be with us for New Year's.  Lasagna has been a tradition for us on Christmas.  We'll have it on New Year's Day with them instead this year.

That sounds so nice, HC.  So sweet about her aunt.  It sounds like the holidays are going to work out great for Joshua and his wife.  I love Lasagna!  It is one of my favorite foods, although, I have never been a picky eater so I love all food.  :hungry:   Also, Joe eats a lot!  He is the biggest eater in his family, yet he never gains an ounce, LOL.  New Years Day is going to be great for all of you.  We spend New Year's day at my in-law's house.  Everyone spends New Years Eve at home with their family.  Joe and I barely stay up to watch the ball drop.  We did when we were first married, 13 years ago Sunday Nov. 24th.  Now, we watch an old movie and fall asleep like old people.  Mark is also really busy on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Day.  He has to divide his time with our families, and his dad's family.  But he loves it!