• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Guest Guest

Hi BaptistBibleBeliever;

I am not DocCas and have never been on this board by any other name.

ASongofDegrees wrote

[quote]
Verse 14 is "spiritual" in that it is a TYPE of what was to happen to Christ. Just because something is earthly doesnt necessarily mean it isnt spiritual.
Wil
[/quote]

Prophesy is made to be given to man and fulfilled so man can see the truth of God. It came from the Spirit but was manifest to man. As Paul said to Agrippa;

Act 26:26 For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; [b]for this thing was not done in a corner. [/b]

I don't remember writing anything about Cornelius as you have in my quote?

But Cornelius was visited by an angel. I hope we don't start making that requirement for all to believe? The scriptures say he was a devout man. He simply needed to hear the Gospel...

[quote]
Act 10:39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
Act 10:40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;
[/quote]

Guest Guest

I just mentioned about "type" because you seemed to be arguing about whether Jesus was talking earthly versus heavenly. The bottom line is the brazen serpent was a type.

As far a Cornelius, I just mentioned that because you also seemed to be saying that the only thing that can "move" a man was the gospel. I was pointing out that Cornelius was moved into "position" to hear the gospel.

Wil

Guest Guest

SongofDegrees.

It could be easily argued that Cornelius already knew the promise and truth to come. He already knew the premise of the Gospel and need simply to recieve the truth of its fulfilling.

As to the brazen serpent in type being spiritual. The brazen serpent was literally lifted up. A physical type reprenting a physical type, though it be of spiritual beginning. Still not a spiritual revelation that could not be understood outside of man's ability to know that already given him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
What is another gospel? Read Galatians 1:6-12

What version is another gospel? Or Tell me about what another gospel means?

Any discussions?

St. Paul is referring to anyone who teaches something other than the Gospel he taught them, i.e. The Gospel in the Bible. This was used to prevent people from believing lies that other people taught them, like the Gnostic cult and other heretics.

(now' date=' I'm not asking if Martin Luther was doctrinally sound in every area - merely asking, "was he saved?"[/quote']

Probably, although he did break his vow of celibacy to God.

• Members

Actually, he did not make that vow to God - the vow of celibacy actually contradicts the Bible. So God is not going to hold him accountable for a rash vow.

1 Timothy 4:1-3 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth.

Actually' date=' he did not make that vow to God[/quote']

Yes he did. He was a monk. Whether of not you believe in it, he still made a promise to God and broke it.

Actually it doesn't contradict the Bible. In fact Christ encourages it.

"Jesus replied, Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. For some are eunuchs because they they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it." (Matthew 19:11-12)

• Members

Jesus is not encouraging people to take vows of celibacy. Did you read the verses posted? Paul said in 1 Timothy that forbidding to marry - which the Catholic church does to its popes, monks and nuns - is a sign of apostasy and demonic teachings.

Jesus is not encouraging people to take vows of celibacy. Did you read the verses posted? Paul said in 1 Timothy that forbidding to marry - which the Catholic church does to its popes' date=' monks and nuns - is a sign of apostasy and demonic teachings.[/quote']

Let me read it...Ok here we go.

"They forbid people to marry" (1 Timothy 4:3)

I believe this was trying to counter the Gnostic heresy, that matter was evil and thus to marry was evil as well. St. Paul also commends celibacy.

"So then, he who marries the virgin does right, but he who does not marry her does even better." (1 Corinthians 7:38)

How do you interpret what Jesus said then?

• Members

Doesn't matter - that passage in 1 Timothy shows me that system that teaches vows of celibacy - forbidding to marry - is based on doctrines of devils. Jesus' words were referring to someone's personal choice to abstain from fornication and perhaps marriage - however, the Catholic church does not give monks and nuns (two orders you won't find anywhere in the Bible!) an option or choice in the matter.

Doesn't matter - that passage in 1 Timothy shows me that system that teaches vows of celibacy - forbidding to marry - is based on doctrines of devils. Jesus' words were referring to someone's personal choice to abstain from fornication and perhaps marriage - however' date=' the Catholic church does not give monks and nuns (two orders you won't find anywhere in the Bible!) an option or choice in the matter.[/quote']

Why would St. Paul commend people to be celibate, and then rebuke it in another place? It would make sense if he was rebuking it for another reason. Would it not? Jesus' words were referring to marriage. Anyone who becomes a priest, monk, or nun has the option to become celibate. It is most always abstained by, although some of the Eastern Churches are starting to allow marriage. And if celibacy was evil, then why would St. Paul follow it himself?

Furthermore you won't find anything about pastors in the Bible either.

• Members

Paul didn't COMMAND celibacy - he gave it as an option, a choice.

There are many passages referring to pastors in the Bible - both in the OT and the NT. Also, every believer in this age is a priest before God. There is no special order of priests - that was done away with.

Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Paul didn't COMMAND celibacy - he gave it as an option, a choice.

There are many passages referring to pastors in the Bible - both in the OT and the NT. Also, every believer in this age is a priest before God. There is no special order of priests - that was done away with.

Ephesians 4:11 And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

I never said St. Paul did command celibacy, I said he was an advocated of it. That's why the discipline is still practiced, to bring one closer to God. Obviously St. Paul believed in celibacy, because he practiced it. Sorry I meant the Baptist Church, show me something in the Bible that points to the Baptist Church.