• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
"But go, tell His disciples?and Peter?that He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him, as He said to you." (Mark 16:7)

Again St. Peter is singled out by an angel of God.

Peter had only recently denied Christ, that is probably why he was mentioned separately. One could from this, also assume that, because of this, at that time Peter was not one of the disciples. "But go, tell His disciples?and Peter..

• Members

Peter didn't stop being a disciple. Originally, the apostles were simply referred to as disciples, then the apostles were basically set apart for a different or higher purpose, and are referred to as the apostles after that point. (This is a general statement - I have not studied out to see if the apostles were referred to as disciples after this point).

• 13 years later...
  • Members
On 7/15/2005 at 1:38 PM, Jerry said:

Not according to the Biblical definition of receive. He might hear them and say he believes them, but he will not understand them fully or receive what God wants him to learn from them.

(probably not on topic of this thread,  but related and important).

This applies to all things as well - as Jesus told Simon barjona the Father had revealed to him that Jesus is the Messiah, Son of The Living Creator;  and same with Salvation - it is Revealed to infants/little children/ and hidden from scholars because this it the Father's Good Pleasure So To Do.   It applies to medicine and knowledge in other fields as well.    Seeking The Creator's Kingdom First, with no other nor any kind of idolatry,  has always been "few",  and is quite apparent today worldwide and throughout the usa.

On 2/9/2008 at 6:09 PM, Jerry said:

Why not do some research. There are many threads in the Biblical Issues Forum that deal with Baptists and their history, as well as the Baptist Distinctives.

"Some" research?    It took me over 30 years to find a factual,  honest, reliable (in line with all Scripture and all of God's Plan and Purpose and Kingdom, as far as able to know) site about the origin of Baptists (long long before the reformation;  even before Constantine corrupted Christendom/Catholicism) .

• Members
On 7/10/2005 at 2:03 PM, AVDeaf said:

What is another gospel? Read Galatians 1:6-12

What version is another gospel? Or Tell me about what another gospel means?

Any discussions?

It means istead of Jesus.  Also means "another" Jesus (a false representation of Jesus).  False gospels far outnumber Truth in the world ,  probably everywhere in the world.   Thus, turn to the Father Creator Almighty as Jesus says because (God Willing) His Kingdom Is (still) at hand.  Seek His Kingdom and His Righteousness, and keep seeking, while He may be found.

• Members
On 7/10/2005 at 8:24 PM, BaptistBibleBeliever said:

Yes, it stands for New World Translation. It is a perverted, corrupted version of the Bible - but I don't understand how you can say that "it" teaches a false gospel. It belongs to those who are in a false cult but it doesn't - on its own - teach anything.

On the other hand, the book of Mormon, is specifically written to teach another gospel.

The NWT contains the KJV of the Bible. It has verses added at the beginning of Genesis, and is used in it support of the teachings of the JW's. Mormons use the Book of Mormon (another Gospel, which is usually clearly stated inside on the title page "Another Gospel of Jesus Christ"), the Doctrines and Covenants, and The Pearl of Great Price. Personally, I won't and DON'T consider new translations of the Bible as "another Gospel, because they all still point to Jesus Christ, and can be used to lead people to the Lord. I've known many people who live Godly Christian lives using these translations. I am KJV preferred, but NOT only. This IS NOT another Gospel. I use the KJV in my study, preaching, and witnessing. I use the other translations mainly for 'commentary' purposes. 

From what I learned in Biblel college, "another Gospel' is anything that detracts from the message of Jesus Christ and focuses attention on itself over HIM! 

• Members
On 7/9/2021 at 1:56 AM, BrotherTony said:

From what I learned in Bible college, "another Gospel' is anything that detracts from the message of Jesus Christ and focuses attention on itself over HIM! 

"Another gospel" in the context Paul used it was the Judaizers adding working to salvation and trying to bring believers back under the law. This could apply to the papacy also.

In Corinthians the "other gospel" was that Jesus didn't bodily rise from the dead so that would "not God but a good teacher" scenario you hear in liberal churches.

The LDS church checks both boxes though they have Jesus rising from the dead he is an angel in their teachings.

Also, false gospels can be brought by an angel according to Paul. That would check another box with the Mormons as they have an angel bringing "another gospel" to Joe Smith.

• Members
On 7/12/2021 at 9:36 AM, SureWord said:

"Another gospel" in the context Paul used it was the Judaizers adding working to salvation and trying to bring believers back under the law. This could apply to the papacy also.

In Corinthians the "other gospel" was that Jesus didn't bodily rise from the dead so that would "not God but a good teacher" scenario you hear in liberal churches.

The LDS church checks both boxes though they have Jesus rising from the dead he is an angel in their teachings.

Also, false gospels can be brought by an angel according to Paul. That would check another box with the Mormons as they have an angel bringing "another gospel" to Joe Smith.

Among all the different groups claiming they are Christian it's hard for me to think of any group who teaches and believes a false Gospel more than the Jehovah's witnesses. They burden the rank and file with hours of meetings, door to door ministry, and publications to study for the Sunday meetings. They also  lead the way in denying Jesus bodily resurrection by teaching that his earthly body was "dissolved" in the tomb and was recreated into the "spirit creature"  and Angel Micheal. Ive attended their form of Easter celebration simply called the memorial a few times. During the memorial the bread and glass of wine is passed around but only the 144,000 are supposed to partake. Since those anointed 144,000 have mostly died off the emblems get passed from one person to another and no one partakes. I can not think of any religious observance that I would classify more readily as a "black mass"  than the JW memorial. The millions of people who participate and just pass the bread and wine on are symbolically rejecting Christ and his command to remember him.

I also wanted to respond to where you mentioned that the LDS believe Jesus was resurrected as an angel. I don't believe that is accurate. In LDS theology Jesus is the Jehovah of the Old Testament and God of this Earth, and after his ressurection he resides on plant Kolob in glorified human body ruling with Heavenly Father called Elohim by LDS. Actual Adam was said to be the Archangel Micheal before "Elohim" sent him to earth to populate the world with Eve. I can only assume they believe Adam became Micheal again after his earthly death.

• Members
On 7/14/2021 at 10:40 PM, Disciple.Luke said:

Among all the different groups claiming they are Christian it's hard for me to think of any group who teaches and believes a false Gospel more than the Jehovah's witnesses.

The ecumenical world church stands out vastly more numerous than the jws,  and immensely more dangerous as the ecu world church has power over billions of people.

• Members
1 hour ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

The ecumenical world church stands out vastly more numerous than the jws,  and immensely more dangerous as the ecu world church has power over billions of people.

By ecumenical work church are you referring to mainline protestants?

• Members
4 minutes ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

I did an internet search decades ago of ecumenical world church.  There's a lot that publically joined the roman abomination in its quest for worldwide control.

I will Google "ecumenical world church" because I'm still not sure what groups you are referring to.

My opinion about the Jehovah's witnesses was based on the false gospel qualifiers that SureWord correctly mentioned in his post.

On 7/12/2021 at 9:36 AM, SureWord said:

• Members
On 7/14/2021 at 10:40 PM, Disciple.Luke said:

Among all the different groups claiming they are Christian it's hard for me to think of any group who teaches and believes a false Gospel more than the Jehovah's witnesses.

They are strongly disciplined and apparently believe a lot of error,  and avoid the truth as much as possible ,  though they end in destruction. (unless they repent and God Grants them to be saved,  like Bercot reported he was saved when he was just eight years old and his whole family and church were jws.  When they discovered he was saved,  they kicked him out.   He actually believed they all were saved for years, before the revelation from God that they were not saved).

However,  (I haven't checked),  did they slaughter millions of souls like the roman catholic groups did ?

Even the protestants warred and fought and killed "in the name of Christ",  without God directing them (the devil did it).

The jws aren't any more saved if they did not kill others,  but what I noticed was you choice of words "more than" - if as it happens and happened, so many other groups slaughtered millions because of the false Gospel those groups were part of,  would you still think the jws are "more" teaching and believing a false Gospel .

Admittedly,  one by one, or more, as we discover the enormity of the practices and errors and adherence and faith in and to the false Gospel(s), 

each and every time we are more distressed,  full of sorrow and acquainted with grief as our Savior Jesus is,   seeing thousands on our right hand and tens of thousands on our left hand falling,  without hope for their souls ,  billions worldwide beyond our ken.

Edited by jeff_student_of_Jesus

• Members
26 minutes ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

They are strongly disciplined and apparently believe a lot of error,  and avoid the truth as much as possible ,  though they end in destruction.

However,  (I haven't checked),  did they slaughter millions of souls like the roman catholic groups did ?

Even the protestants warred and fought and killed "in the name of Christ",  without God directing them (the devil did it).

The jws aren't any more saved if they did not kill others,  but what I noticed was you choice of words "more than" - if as it happens and happened, so many other groups slaughtered millions because of the false Gospel those groups were part of,  would you still think the jws are "more" teaching and believing a false Gospel .

Admittedly,  one by one, or more, as we discover the enormity of the practices and errors and adherence and faith in and to the false Gospel(s), 

each and every time we are more distressed,  full of sorrow and acquainted with grief as our Savior Jesus is,   seeing thousands on our right hand and tens of thousands on our left hand falling,  without hope for their souls ,  billions worldwide beyond our ken.

The Jehovah's witnesses may not be violent killers but they still have blood on their hands. An unknown amount members and their children have died from rejecting blood transfusions to please the "Watchtower". Who knows how many JWs have committed suicide because their family disfellowshiped them. Also the endless allegations of child abuse and rape keep coming out.

When I said "more than" I was referring to their rejecting the basics of a false gospel by emphasizing endless works on members AND complete denial of the literal bodily resurrection of Christ.

I suppose the "ecumenical world church" could have a just a dangerous false gospel as the JWs but I still have no idea who you are specifically referring to.

Also in that post I was just giving my personal opinion NOT making a definitive claim. I wasn't looking to debate or argue anything. 

Edited by Disciple.Luke

• Members

Note that refusing blood transfusions is not necessarily a sin at all.   

Among pagans/ the world/  it is nothing since they reject the one who died for them - compared to that ,  nothing matters.

As for as suicide,  if they get saved, and immersed in Jesus' Name  they won't commit suicide,  though their family and church will kick them out.  This is true of practially all groups, catholic, protestant and secular.

The endless allegations?    Why specific jws?    The Bible says ALL society is death dealing.  Not just jws.

14 minutes ago, Disciple.Luke said:

I still have no idea who you are specifically referring to.

Specifically?  Why specifically ?   Generally,  every group not in Christ Jesus is a false Gospel - anti-Christ,  "instead of " Christ.

On 7/10/2005 at 2:03 PM, AVDeaf said:

What is another gospel? Read Galatians 1:6-12

Galatians 1:6-12

King James Version
6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you,

let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received,

let him be accursed.

10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.