• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why not do some research. There are many threads in the Biblical Issues Forum that deal with Baptists and their history' date=' as well as the Baptist Distinctives.[/quote']

I may, however I have already done quite a bit. I'm not saying you are all wrong, just in some areas.

PS. You didn't respond to my question, so I'm assuming that the point is mine, or you agree with me (gasp)

• Members

No, I don't agree with you - I am saying, don't be lazy. Do some research. The answers have been posted here many times. But from what I can see, you are not looking for answers, you are pushing your Catholicism.

• Members

?6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel: 7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed? (Galatians 1:6-9).

Satan?s attack against early Christianity was on two main fronts. He attacked with persecution and he attacked with the perversion of the gospel message. Persecuting Christians was like throwing gasoline on a fire. It only proved Christianity to be real. However, the perversion of the gospel was a very successful tool of Satan and has been throughout the Church Age. The central reason for so many different Christian faiths is due to this perversion of the gospel.

It matters very little if a person?s theology is orthodox in every other area, but perverted in the gospel. It is the true gospel of Jesus Christ which is ?the power of God unto salvation,? not orthodox beliefs.

?For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek? (Romans 1:16).

?18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:? (1 Peter 1:18-19).

The Word of God establishes the gospel of Jesus Christ. Nothing else does. Salvation cannot happen apart from hearing, understanding and believing the gospel of the Bible.

?15 For this people?s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. 16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear. 17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them. 18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower. 19 When any one heareth the word of the kingdom, and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in his heart. This is he which received seed by the way side. 20 But he that received the seed into stony places, the same is he that heareth the word, and anon with joy receiveth it; 21 Yet hath he not root in himself, but dureth for a while: for when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, by and by he is offended. 22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful. 23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty? (Matthew 13:15-23).

?9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.? (Romans 10:9).

It is amazing how easily people are willing to accept a false gospel. The simple truth is this: if the gospel is perverted in any way from what the Bible says, those people who trust in that false way of salvation will end up in an eternal hell regardless of how moral they are or how orthodox their beliefs are.

?13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. 15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep?s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. 16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? 17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. 19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. 20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. 21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity? (Mathhew 7:13-23).

God doesn?t accept close enough. If we want to see people get saved, we must preach the same gospel message that God offers salvation through.

?1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father?s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. 4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. 5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way? 6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me? (John 14:1-6).

?5 And it came to pass on the morrow, that their rulers, and elders, and scribes, 6 And Annas the high priest, and Caiaphas, and John, and Alexander, and as many as were of the kindred of the high priest, were gathered together at Jerusalem. 7 And when they had set them in the midst, they asked, By what power, or by what name, have ye done this? 8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them, Ye rulers of the people, and elders of Israel, 9 If we this day be examined of the good deed done to the impotent man, by what means he is made whole; 10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. 11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. 12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved? (Acts 4:5-12).

The word ?marvel? is from the Greek word thaumazo (thou-mad'-zo) meaning to be astonished or amazed. The word ?removed? is from the Greek word metatithemi (met-at-ith'-ay-mee) meaning to fall away or desert one person or thing for another. Paul was astonished how easily these professing Christians at Galatia were willing to compromise and accept ?another gospel.? He saw this as deserting Christ and Christianity.

The gospel is the very foundation of Christianity. If the gospel message is allowed to be perverted, it ceases to be the gospel and everything that comes from a perverted gospel ceases to be Christian. Becoming a Christian begins with believing the gospel of grace and recognizing the authority of Jesus Christ through His inspired Word. When a person accepts Jesus, he believes the gospel and accepts the authority of the Word of God over his life. Getting saved and becoming a Christian is not done by believing in Jesus Christ, but by believing in the gospel message detailing what He did to save us from sin and death and recognizing His divine authority through His Word.

The true gospel calls people ?into the grace of Christ.? ?Grace? is the heart of the gospel. It is from the Greek word charis (khar'-ece).

?But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God? (Acts 20:24).

?Grace? refers to the merciful kindness of God by which He exerts His holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, preserves them, spiritually empowers them and increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, love (there are two kinds of grace, saving gracing and serving grace). When the Bible says something is of grace, it means it is something wholly done by God regardless of human merit. The gospel is of grace because it is a message detailing what God has done in Jesus Christ to open the door of opportunity for anyone to be saved. Salvation is completely and totally a work of grace apart from any human work or sacrifice and apart from any religions ritual or ceremony. When the Bible talks about works it is referring to human efforts, sacrifice, religious rituals and ceremonies. Anything that is of works is not of grace.

?And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work? (Romans 11:6).

?Into the grace of Christ? refers to the believer?s means of salvation and standing in salvation (position in Christ).

?23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus? (Romans 3:23-26).

?1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: 2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God? (Romans 5:1-2).

?8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast? (Ephesians 2:8-9).

When anything is taken from, or anything added to the gospel of grace, it is perverted (Galatians 1:7). ?Pervert? is from the Greek word metastrepho (met-as-tref'-o), which means to turn something completely around or upside down. What the heretics were trying to do was make salvation something that came through religious works, rituals or ceremonies. That is exactly the opposite of grace and is a complete contradiction against grace. If salvation is of grace, it has nothing to do with religious works. If salvation is by religious works, it has nothing to do with grace. Religious works and grace are not co-operative doctrines. In fact, they contradict one another. The epistle to the Galatians states emphatically that the gospel details salvation completely of grace and totally apart from any religious works, rituals or ceremonies.

? Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace? (Galatians 5:4).

?A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? (Galatians 5:9).

I never said St. Paul did command celibacy' date=' I said he was an advocated of it. That's why the discipline is still practiced, to bring one closer to God. Obviously St. Paul believed in celibacy, because he practiced it.[/quote']

This Question.

Yes he practiced celibacy' date=' because he wasn't married, it is against God to have sex outside of mariage.[/quote']

Yea, so are you saying there is something wrong with celibacy for God?

First of all, that was such a random off topic attack. I would be more than happy to show you Biblical reasons for the Pope. However I won't for two reasons. 1) You're not going to listen either way. 2) There are so many and it will take a long time. So again, I don't want to waste my time and yours. If you really care, I can show you, however I doubt you do. So lets stay on topic, please?

PS. Don't say I'm wimping out, I have Biblical proof, however I don't want to waste my time, if you aren't going to listen. I don't think you will.

It was not off topic you brought it on with "the discipline is still practiced"
maybe I read more into it but I doubt it,

Celibacy is not a doctrine, but a discipline. It's not for everyone. Thank you for listening.

There is no Biblical proof for a pope. There are no pope's in the Bible.

I said "attack" because it was off topic, that's ok, yes there is. By the way there is no Biblical proof for any Protestant Church.

• Members

There is no Biblical proof for the Catholic church (ie. in the sense that the Bible teaches Catholicism). Catholicism did not even start until the fourth century. Actually, you will find the RC church in the Bible. Look in Revelation 2 and see the church in Thyatira, then in Revelation 17-19, end times Babylon. You will find the Protestant Reformation covered in chapter 3, the church in Sardis.

Though the Baptists have always existed historically, and did not come out of either the RC church nor Protestant churches.

• Members

I said "attack" because it was off topic, that's ok, yes there is. By the way there is no Biblical proof for any Protestant Church.

I've asked in other topics for Biblical proof, i.e. verses, to support some of your claims and as of yet you have failed to provide any.

Please provide Bible verses that give Biblical proof for a pope.

Thank you,
PreacherE

If you show me ones for a Protestant Church?

Here we go...

"And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it." (Matthew 16:18)

Institution of the Papacy.

"The elders who are among you I exhort, I who am a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that will be revealed" (1 Peter 5:1)

St. Peter is the leader of the Church.

"But go, tell His disciples?and Peter?that He is going before you into Galilee; there you will see Him, as He said to you." (Mark 16:7)

Again St. Peter is singled out by an angel of God.

• Members

1 Peter 5 is referring to elders/pastors - it has nothing to do with Popes. In fact, for Peter to be a Pope with a wife certainly goes against the RC church's requirements for a Pope.

I don't need to show you the proof for Protestant churches - Baptists (as a denomination) are not Protestants. They did not come out of the RC church.

Show me in the book of Acts where Peter is the leader of the church. He is the spokeperson on Pentecost - and the one that opened the door to the Jews on Pentecost, and the Gentiles in Acts 10. In Acts 15, we see that James is the leader of the church in Jerusalem - so your statements do not line up with the Bible.