• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Distance To Church

Does anyone drive over 20 minutes to get to church? What is your reason?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Does anyone drive over 20 minutes to get to church? What is your reason?

• No good church in my immediate area
    • Prefer my church over another of like faith that is closer
    • Love going on Sunday drives
    • Other

We drive close to an hour and a half one way to get to church! It is because the ministry in which Dad feels the Lord wants him to work with is based out of that church.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My family and I traveled 21 miles one way, about 35 minutes last Sunday to attend a good Baptist church. Most churches within the city have completely compromised their teaching with different bible versions, ordination of people of alternative lifestyles and offer watered-down, politically correct, and works-grace salvation teaching.

I am appalled at the degradation of churches in this city, which have become so liberalized in their doctrine and beliefs. This even includes some Baptist churches (non IFB of course), where one pastor when asked two questions by me recently, "What bible version do you use?" - NRSV, and "What is your churches doctrine on eternal security?" "Oh I believe we are all under the grace of God and that no one really knows this side of heaven." What? That was needless to say a short conversation. Several churches even now post the rainbow flag on their outside bulletin board to show they are inclusive for all genders of people.

Sorry to vent, it is just frustrating not being able to find a good IFB church within a city of 4 million people.

• Members

[quote]
Sorry to vent, it is just frustrating not being able to find a good IFB church within a city of 4 million people.
[/quote]

I know a couple of IBF missionaries in Canada. I'll email them to see if they can help locate a church for you.

Mitch

• Members

[quote="BrotherMatt"]
The Bible Says:

The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in the Lord,[u] [b]with the church that is in their house[/b][/u]. I Corinthians 16:19

Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, [b][u]and the church which is in his house[/u].[/b] Colossians 4:15

And to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellowsoldier, [b][u]and to the church in thy house[/u][/b]: Philemon 1:2
[/quote]

Yup, the early churches met in houses - however a family Bible study does NOT fit the Bible qualifications for a church.

Is your Dad the Pastor? Who preaches the Word of God? Who collects the tithes and offerings of the members? And how do the few spiritual gifts of your family edify the rest of the brethren meeting in your house church?

Church is very important - but it must be a Biblical church, built on the Bible, following the Biblical qualifications for [b]pastors[/b], the doctrine [b]preached[/b] must be in accord with God's Word. Somehow a house church (along the lines you are referring to - which is only a few members, and not the whole church body meeting in a house) does not fit the bill.

P.S. who was your sending church? In the Bible a new church was always built by the missionaries and workers sent out by another church.

Best bet is to keep looking for a sound church based on NT principles, and if you can't find one within reasonable driving distance, then pray where the Lord would have you move to.

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Hebrews 10:25 [b][u]Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together[/u], as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: [u]and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching[/u].[/b]

• Members

[quote="Rez Preacher"]
We drive 75 miles to church one way. We started the church in 1997. As missionaries and non-Natives, we cannot buy land. We have to base ourselves out of one area and then drive to where we need to work. The next work we start is ONLY going to be 30 miles away! Just a short walk!
[/quote]

Our church supports a missionary (IBIM) to the Navajos in AZ...Sam Grammer. I believe he lives in Flagstaff and pastors a church in Tuba City.

• Members

Our church supports a missionary (IBIM) to the Navajos in AZ...Sam Grammer. I believe he lives in Flagstaff and pastors a church in Tuba City.[/quote]

I'd like to meet him. Tuba is a good ways from us, as is pretty much everything and everyone.

If you could get contact information for me, I'd like to get in touch. Have a great day!

[quote]
I know a couple of IBF missionaries in Canada. I'll email them to see if they can help locate a church for you.

Mitch
[/quote]

Thanks Mitch, I appreciate your assistance.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

And you can't drive that in less than 20 minutes? :lol::lol:
Seriously, that is awesome! What a great testimony to your church family.

We live about 10 minutes from our church and consider ourselves blessed.

• Members

It takes around twenty minutes to get to our church. There are not really any Missionary Baptist churches closer than that. One of the churches in the area has a freemason for a pastor. My husband used to attend that church but quit when he found that out.