• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

question about homeschooling

Guest Guest

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

[quote="Katy-Anne"]
I am home school all the way! But I have heard people say that if the mother is a high school drop-out then she should not home school her kids (even though it is Biblical). What do you all think?

Katy-Anne
[/quote]

Katy-Anne,

I feel that educationally speaking, whoever is teaching should have at least one degree/level of completion higher than what he or she is teaching. So if a parent is teaching grade school, I believe they should have at least a high school education. If the parent is going to teach high school, then I believe a college education is a must. Often the higher education a person receives helps them to understand and therefore to better teach what has been previously taught.

I'm assuming you're specifically asking about yourself. I know you don't have kids yet, so even if you've never finished high school, don't worry. In the US you can get what's called a General Equivalency Degree (G.E.D.). You have to take a pretest that tells you what areas you need to work on (math, reading comprehension, history, science, etc.). After you've studied up on those sections and/or attended special classes, you can take the test. If you pass, it counts as a high school diploma in just about everycase. (I think one branch of the military does not accept it, though). Colleges and workplaces do accept it in lieu of a high school diploma.

It is for people that for whatever reason did not finish high school or did not finish from an "accepted" high school. Sometimes homeschoolers get it to demonstrate their abilities so they don't have to worry about the accredition of their homeschool education. I'm sure Australia has a similar program. Consider looking into it.

That said, the ability to homeschool is not just about the parent's level of education. If God has laid it on your heart to homeschool, then do so. As others have mentioned, there are many Christian homeschool programs out there that basically do all the teaching. The parent just has to monitor the learning and/or do the paperwork.

In addition, you can always use these programs to learn alongside with your children. I know that for me there are many things I've forgotten the "why's" of and just know as fact. If I were to teach elementary students I would have to learn them all over.

Teaching (whether public/private/Christian/home-schooling) should not be learning facts to move on to the next subject and/or grade. Teaching is creating a love for learning and a desire within each child to learn more. If a teacher can do that, then he/she does not need to worry about his/her own limitations. As a child reaches higher grades, I believe a teacher should be more of a guide directing the student on his/her educational journey and encouraging the student to seek out new knowledge for him/herself.

RAmba29

Hey Ramba good answers. I don't have a college degree but yes when I have children I want to homeschool them. I am looking at attending Bible college one day though so I might have a degree by then.

Katy-Anne

• 1 month later...
  • Members

While I am in favor of getting all the education the Lord provides, and I encourage it in my children,I don't have a college degree. I have two very fine homeschool graduates...one who has completed her college degree and another who is working on his. All the colleges want to see is what their transcripts have and what SAT scores they made. No college ever asked what credentials the instructor had. In the meantime, I have two more high school-aged children that are doing well. Curriculum is out there, other homeschoolers can provide support, and no traditional school teacher is going to have the caring or motivation that a parent will have. Prayer, dedication, and diligence will more than compensate for a degree, as far as homeschooling is concerned.
Having said all this, I am in favor of following the states requirements. Ours is: the instructor must have a ged/hs diploma and be a member of an accountability group (or report to the individual school district, which I don't recommend.)
A little off-topic: there is so much more to education than the three r's. Better watch out where you send your precious gift from God, to be taught much more than the basics. My two oldest came home with all kinds of stories of how college instructors use their time to spout political, philosophical, and religious views. This happens even in Christian colleges. I thank God that I was able to teach and train them in the Word of God, principles to live by, and godly standards. Otherwise, I fear how they may have reacted to this onslaught of the world and the devil.
Sorry...that last paragraph is just a small commentary of a subject that is near and dear to my heart. I see so many children everywhere...and wonder what they'll end up like.

• Members

Now that is some :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

One of the problems I see with saying that to homeschool children you must have a degree, preferably in teaching, is this: in Australia, if you didn't get a high enough mark in school to do anything else at university, you can do teaching. Yes even I can get into a teaching degree. And I know lots of kids that are teachers now because it was the only course they could get into and they really aren't that smart at school or they would have done something else.

Does anyone know if there is GED information online that this Aussie can go check out?

Katy-Anne

• Members

[quote]
While I am in favor of getting all the education the Lord provides, and I encourage it in my children,I don't have a college degree. I have two very fine homeschool graduates...one who has completed her college degree and another who is working on his.
[/quote]

You sound like a cousin of my mom's. She never went to college; however, she not only homeschooled her own two children (one all the way through high school and the other one well on the way there) but also her late (deceased) sister's two children. :)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I am home schooling our three children and we use ABEKA.

It has been a blessing and I am thankful that God has provided me with the opportunity.

My two oldest attended Public school at first and it was awful! Then they went to PCA (the very school that prints ABEKA) and that had it's good and bad points...too many parents sent their kids there "for" disipline.

So, you have some kids there that are there because they were trouble makers...

graced

• Members

One doesn't have to be highly educated to ensure their children receive good educations. I recall many years ago reading about a woman who had a third grade education, she could barely read, who educated her two sons, both of whom went on to earn advanced degrees; one becoming a doctor.

• Members

I wholeheartedly agree, John. If you can teach your kids the basics -- the 3 "R's" -- and love them and encourage them to challenge themselves beyond what they think they are capable of learning and mastering, then you're more than halfway there. :D I think some are afraid to homeschool their kids because they're afraid their kids might become smarter than they are and therefore won't obey them (that is, that the children won't obey the parents). My answer to them is, teach them to obey you because God says so, not because you say so. Also, I would [b][i]want[/i][/b] my children to learn more than I know, and to teach their children (my grandchildren) even more.

My second cousin's (the one I mentioned in my previous post in this thread) first daughter just graduated from nursing school and also just got married. She was homeschooled from kindergarten until she was a senior in high school. How's that for a positive testimony? :mrgreen:

• Members

[quote="Junebugwv"]
It takes an accredited degree in education and a state teacher's certificate to graduate illiterate teenagers in a public school.
[/quote]

And parents who aren't willing to be good academic role models for their children and be involved in their children's lives, academically. Don't blame it entirely on the teacher. The parents play an important role in the child's education also through their attitudes and actions during non-school hours.

Ramba29

• Members

Too many parents today have bought into the lie that it's the governments job to educate their children. I don't know how many parents I've heard exclaim that it's not their place to teach their children, that's what the school's for!

I've also known of many parents who either view school mostly as a "free" babysitter or as a place for their children to play sports.

• Members

[quote]
I don't know how many parents I've heard exclaim that it's not their place to teach their children, that's what the school's for!
[/quote]

These are no doubt the same parents who consider their children a burden, a hindrance to their wildest and grandest dreams. :( No wonder so many of these kids end up doing drugs. It is tragic.