• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Door to Door - Not For The Faint Of Heart

• Members

When I lived in Va. Bch in the 80's we went door to door in neighborhoods. We passed out Gospel Tracts and sometimes we were invited into the homes of strangers. We had an opportunity to sit down and explain the Gospel of Christ. Personal (one on one) at work and where opportunity is presented, door to door, Thursday night Churchwide visitation (Thu), and some street preaching in downtown Norfolk is the extent of my experience in witnessing.

I mentioned to a preacher that I intended to draw range (mile) circles around my local Church and begin going door to door. He told me times have changed and most Churches depend on contact information provided by members. It made me think, I now live in a rural Ohio; a knock at the door could be met with a bullet answer. There are methamphedimine labs and people with cash crops of marijuana who would not like seeing two men come to the door in a suit and tie.

My pastor said we begin Churchwide visitation (Thu) after the change to daylight savings time.

I still intendto go door to door. So, any advice about the door to door would be appreciated. I emphasize any advice, you never know what might be helpful. Rural folks, urban, or city might have a helpful insight. I'm sure they have drug problems and "shoot first" people in urban/city locations.

• Members

Door-to-door is surely not as easy as it once was. Perhaps you could carry identification from your church. We
have not encountered much problems with door-to-door visitation, but I have seen others out who do wear such identification, with their names and the name of the church. We carry our church bulletins and tracts with the church name on them. Good luck

• Members

Our church does a lot of door to door witnessing. We are in a small town (4,000) in SW PA. We also knock in other small towns in the area (population ranges from 500 to 3500). Nothing really big right now. We have never really had many problems. You'll get people that call the cops once in awhile, but they usually use the excuse that you're parking on their property. That's about the only problem I've run into.

I have never done any in rural areas so, I don't have any experience in that.

• Members

Yes, for sure on letting the Holy Spirit guide me in this endeavor. I believe its the Holy Spirit guiding me to go door to door. It's years over due and I feel some urgency to spend some shoe leather.

jchahl,
Hi neighbor, I'm In SE Ohio, it doesn't sound too much different we're a little smaller where I'll be going. We do have a lot of drug activity reported here. I intended to be within a mile or two of the church.

In Va. Bch. a Roman Church parishoner told me not to die on his lawn one time.

• Members
Yes, for sure on letting the Holy Spirit guide me in this endeavor. I believe its the Holy Spirit guiding me to go door to door. It's years over due and I feel some urgency to spend some shoe leather.

jchahl,
Hi neighbor, I'm In SE Ohio, it doesn't sound too much different we're a little smaller where I'll be going. We do have a lot of drug activity reported here. I intended to be within a mile or two of the church.

In Va. Bch. a Roman Church parishoner told me not to die on his lawn one time.

There are a lot of drugs in my area, too, especially in my hometown, which is about 15 miles from my church. Some bus workers, our youth group and I canvassed most of the town, though, without any problems (except for the parking thing). You usually don't have to worry about drugs during the times you'll be soulwinning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
With the TV blaring 24/7 and both parents working it is almost impossible to give a good witness knocking doors. Plus, in my area more and more people are moving into gated communites.

Bill

I'm not poking fun at you, just at my location, I can't witness to the gated residents here either. They're only attentive to hay, oats, and corn.

• Members

I'm not poking fun at you, just at my location, I can't witness to the gated residents here either. They're only attentive to hay, oats, and corn.

:lol

I moved down here to Virginia from Upstate, NY along with a lot of other Yankees. Many of them have moved into the gated community over in Lake Monticello with is huge. There's about 8,000 residents just in that community alone. Plus, a lot more of them are popping up around the state. You can't get into them unless you have permission and a pass. People jokingly refer to Monticello as Lake Gestapo.