• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The reason people hate the KJV

Guest Guest

The reason people hate the KJV

The reason so many people hate the KJV, is because they know, that ?it? is referred to by so many, as ?the Bible?.

And the reason this bothers them, is because of the ?Bible?s purity?..........
Proverbs 30:5
?Every word of God [is] pure: he [is] a shield unto them that put their trust in him.?
--------------------------------------------------
Now you might ask, ?Why would anyone not like the Bible?s purity??

I am glad you asked.

The problem people have with a pure Bible, is that fact that since it?s pure, then that means, there is ?no wiggle room? for them.

Since the Bible says what it means and means what it says, than they are forced to abide by it;
(Unless of course, they think they know Greek and can ?Greek there way?, out of having to obey it.)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi kevinmiller

You asked........

?I've never met a single person or even heard of someone who hates the KJV. Have you??

Yes I have; (Plenty of them!)

But it has only been since I have been on the internet.
i.e. I have never met a person face to face, that I spoke to about it.
And even some, who claim that they don?t hate it, react so strongly in opposition to anyone who is trusting the KJV, that it is obvious, that they really hate it.

And then when you start to talk to them about doctrine, then you see why they hate it.
(They want to believe what they want:)
Therefore they want the freedom to pick and choose between English versions, until they find one that lets them slip by.
Of course, this is the ONLY site that I have found, that supports the KJV.

• Members
But it has only been since I have been on the internet.

No surprise there. It's easy to find a lot of people of any persuasion if you search for them on the net. Just go to www.i_hate_KJv_forum.com or whatever and you will find plenty in one spot, even if in the real world they are as rare as hen's teeth.

Seek and ye shall find, as it were...

• Members

A co-worker at my previous job was a Moody Bible Institute graduate who said the KJV was a "bad" translation. He never actually said he hated the KJV, but he would never use it because there are "better" translations today. He never would tell me which version he liked the best -- he would read several until he found one that he thought had the best translation of a particular passage.

• Members

You can always find one version that suits your view. I know some young people who don't like the KJV for some odd reason or another. One says there are better ones. The other one says there are new ones that are more relevant for today. Both these boys are emergent church goers, so they know little of any doctrine. I have never heard anyone come right out and say I hate it, but they want to be relevant, and to them the KJV is old.

• Members

I don't like the KJV because it is written in extremely outdated language. I admit that it is very poetic as old English was, but no one talks like that anymore. Due to the outdated language, it is very difficult to read and understand.

The Bible is meant to be relevant. When written, it was written in common Greek and Hebrew and Aramaic, the languages that everyone spoke. Everyone could easily understand it. God wants to communicate to us in langauge that is readily understandable to all of us.

That is why people find it important to do new translations. The translation process is very important, as it must be accurate, and it must be conveyed in terms that people understand while retaining the meaning. I hate the new "paraphrases" such as the Message because they are not translations, and they are in "hip" language and in cliches that really water things down. However, the NASB and NIV are both very good translations that have more understandable modern language.

I don't hate the KJV. I just think it is outdated language that is no longer spoken. It is not so outdated that it cannot be understood, but it is outdated enought that it does take a bit of effort to understand it because, well, people just don't talk that way anymore.

• Members

Why do I understand it? I am 36 yrs old and wasn't born in 1611, but I still read the KJV and understand it. Should I go out and get the green bible or the Princess Di bible since it is what the culture deems is cool and hip now. Does every generation get to write a version from their own viewpoint?

We shall not adjust our Bible to the age; but before we have done with it, by God's grace, we shall adjust the age to the Bible- Spurgeon

• Members

While I've never met anyone who claims to hate the KJB, I've met plenty who are so anti-KJB that it amounts to the same thing.

There are those who claim the KJB is an inferior translation, that we know so much more now than back in 1611 and that's why the newer translations are better. Funny how they can never agree on which newer translation is actually the best and they can't reconcile the differences between the various newer translations.

It doesn't bother me if someone prefers another translation, but those who are just anti-KJB and would hold up any MV, sometimes even paraphrases, as being better than the KJB just to attack the KJB, those are the ones who seem to be operating out of hate.

• Members

I find the "KJV is too archaic" argument so hilarious.. Some of the people who make this argument are the ones who would read through a Shakespearian drama and never complain about it's outdated English but insist instead that it can't be updated or it will lose it's poetic beauty!