• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Heavy Rock

Guest Guest

• Members

Weren't the bands listed demonic bands to begin with? I know Black Sabbath was.
As far as heavy rock, in general, I can't stand the stuff. I like a balance of percussion and melody and heavy rock is all percussion. I don't buy the argument that, since rock music pulls you away from God, you'll eventually end up listening to heavy metal because of said progression. It sounds nice in books but I've yet to see it demonstrated in real life. Almost all of my friends listen to rock music but none of them listen to or like either heavy rock or rap. I have met a lot of non-Christians even who don't like heavy metal music. I don't put any stock in Satan living in rock music and listening to it opens up your ears so he can get into your head. :huh:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Weren't the bands listed demonic bands to begin with? I know Black Sabbath was.
As far as heavy rock, in general, I can't stand the stuff. I like a balance of percussion and melody and heavy rock is all percussion. I don't buy the argument that, since rock music pulls you away from God, you'll eventually end up listening to heavy metal because of said progression. It sounds nice in books but I've yet to see it demonstrated in real life. Almost all of my friends listen to rock music but none of them listen to or like either heavy rock or rap. I have met a lot of non-Christians even who don't like heavy metal music. I don't put any stock in Satan living in rock music and listening to it opens up your ears so he can get into your head. :huh:

Kevin, he (Satan) gets into the heart and soul of the person thru rock music. Music is the universal language of the soul and it transcends all cultures thru the melodies utilized.

• Members

I found that the closer I got to the Lord or the more I got into the word the less I listened to hard rock, etc. (Country music can be just as filled with the devil as rock music). So, placing somekind of rule on believers about the type of music they should or shouldn't listen to never works. It has to be the Holy Spirit that convicts each believer in this area. It's almost a "natural" process. The closer you get to the Lord the more you'll see your tastes in music change. Exceptions prove the rule. We are commanded to sing hymns, spiritual songs, etc and to make MELODY in our heart to the Lord (most rap music has not melody).

• Members

Kevin, he (Satan) gets into the heart and soul of the person thru rock music. Music is the universal language of the soul and it transcends all cultures thru the melodies utilized.

Where in Scripture does it say that music allows Satan to get into a person through music? Only you can choose to allow Satan to have influence. Nothing of itself is evil.

• Members
[Where in Scripture does it say that music allows Satan to get into a person through music? Only you can choose to allow Satan to have influence. Nothing of itself is evil.

It's clear in scripture that music is primarily for worship. Satan desires worship and was a musical creature. So it would only make sense that he would use music. Nebuchanezzar had everyone bow to him and his image at the playing of music. Does this sound familiar? Music is also governed by laws so I would imagine Satan would want to pervert that also. And since music issues from the heart of man it can be evil.

• Members

Whether music or something else, anytime we open ourselves up to taking in sin we are opening ourselves up to the devils influence.

Some hard rock songs outright speak of the devil, such as Van Halen's "Running With the Devil", there's an AC/DC song which says something about the devil is talking to me and I'm all ears.

Typically, this heavy/hard rock has lyrics centered around rebellion, violence, sex, drugs/booze and that sort of thing. They most often glorify ungodliness and some songs outright promote such.

Many people are greatly influenced by music. They will hear a drinking song, whether country, rock or pop, and they are ready to go to the bar or a booze party. Some can listen to drug songs and they are influenced to do drugs; or premarital sex songs and go for that, or fighting songs and go for that.

While the music I used to listen to did have effects on me, thankfully I never wanted to go out and copy the songs in my life. I could listen to drinking songs all day long and never want to drink anything stronger than a Mountain Dew or Pepsi. However, that's not true for lots of folks.

I know around the mid-80s I heard of a Christian hard rock group called Stryper. In my teens my friends got me listening to hard rock and by the mid-80s I was born again and trying to get away from AC/DC type music. I bought a Stryper cassette and at first I kind of liked it. However, listening to that fed my hunger for more of the same style of music (hard rock) and for a time I jumped right back into listening to AC/DC and that type of music.

If one can listen to Christian music and truly glorify God and be at peace that's wonderful, but if the Christian music causes one to act and think almost the same as secular music then something is wrong. When one looks at Christian rock bands looking exactly like secular rock bands and their fans looking and acting just like secular rock fans that's a sign something is wrong.

• Members

It's clear in scripture that music is primarily for worship. Satan desires worship and was a musical creature. So it would only make sense that he would use music. Nebuchanezzar had everyone bow to him and his image at the playing of music. Does this sound familiar? Music is also governed by laws so I would imagine Satan would want to pervert that also. And since music issues from the heart of man it can be evil.

And he has used music. Artists have put out all kinds of filth dedicated to him, all contained in the lyrics. You can imagine how Satan can use music as consisting of melody and rhythm until Christ comes back, but I don't see it in Scripture.

Typically, this heavy/hard rock has lyrics centered around rebellion, violence, sex, drugs/booze and that sort of thing. They most often glorify ungodliness and some songs outright promote such.

Many people are greatly influenced by music. They will hear a drinking song, whether country, rock or pop, and they are ready to go to the bar or a booze party. Some can listen to drug songs and they are influenced to do drugs; or premarital sex songs and go for that, or fighting songs and go for that.

While the music I used to listen to did have effects on me, thankfully I never wanted to go out and copy the songs in my life. I could listen to drinking songs all day long and never want to drink anything stronger than a Mountain Dew or Pepsi. However, that's not true for lots of folks.

Music is very powerful, I agree. So if those lyrics can influence people to copy them, why can't we turn it around and write lyrics to influence people to do right? And people have, both in the form of old and contemporary music. I can listen to Lifesong by Casting Crowns and really feel like I want my life to be glorifying to Christ. That's what music is designed to do and having a beat doesn't take away from the message.

Yeah man, music is no different than language or words. Life or death can spring from it and whosover is deceived by it is not wise.

That sounds nice but it isn't Bible.

• Members

Like I said, if one can listen to a song and truly glorify God and be at peace that's wonderful.

The problem with much of what falls into the CCM category is that the artists/groups tend to mimic the world while putting on a veneer of Christianity. There should be more of a distinct difference that just what they lyrics say or don't say. Some of these groups simply perform songs without foul language with maybe a veiled reference to God in a few songs and that's as "Christian" as they get.

Awhile back when this topic came up I found some programs on the Christian channels we get which featured CCM. Wow! In some cases I watched the entire program and couldn't tell what was Christian about the groups or songs at all. On some programs I noticed some references to God but nothing more than one might hear in the average country song. On a couple of songs there were good lyrics, obviously Christian with a biblical message.

Myself, I would rather listen to well done Christian songs performed by a secular artist who may or may not be saved than listen to self-proclaimed Christian artists performing self-proclaimed Christian songs that I can find nothing Christian about.

For me, the biggest thing is lyrics, but things like personal taste and such factor in also.

• Members

I agree with you. I think a Christian song or group should be truly Christian. That's what I like about Casting Crowns. Their lyrics are very overtly Christian and really challenge you to live like a Christian.

Take this one verse, for example, it challenges both sides:
What this world needs is for us to care more about the inside than the outside
Have we become so blind that we can't see
God's gotta change her heart before He changes her shirt
What this world needs is for us to stop hiding behind our relevance
Blending in so well that people can't see the difference
And it's the difference that sets the world free

And nearly all of their lyrics are like that, very powerful.

• Members

That anyone would enjoy listening to such indecent and utterly blasphemous rubbish as rock music and other contemporary idioms seems almost incredible to me. I find the noise of it to be absolutely unbearable and spiritually sickening! This music (which sounds nothing like REAL music) should be invariably shunned and despised by true Christians.

That anyone would enjoy listening to such indecent and utterly blasphemous rubbish as rock music and other contemporary idioms seems almost incredible to me. I find the noise of it to be absolutely unbearable and spiritually sickening! This music (which sounds nothing like REAL music) should be invariably shunned and despised by true Christians.

So, how do you really feel? :wink

Out of curiosity, miss, are you referring to Christian hard rock, Christian contemporary, or just any thing Christian contemporary period?

Or, are you referring to secular rock?
God bless,
Crushmaster.

• Members
That sounds nice but it isn't Bible.

Ummm...Proverbs says that "death and life are in the power of the tongue". And it's clear that music is used to influence people and is considered a universal language. Nebuchadnezzar had folks bow to his image at the sound of music and there is no mention of any lyrics. Lucifer is said to be created with "pipes" and "tabrets" WITHIN him. In the scripture music is ALWAYS in the context of worship. So I don't see how you can say that isn't in the Bible.

As far as the music itself it really is up to the individual Christian. But he or she needs to be wary of how their choices affect other believers. If Casting Crowns edifies you in Christ and you can give thanks than have at it but if it offends a brother maybe you shouldn't listen to it around him.

Bill