• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

God or men?

• Members

Acts 5:
25 Then came one and told them, saying, Behold, the men whom ye put in prison are standing in the temple, and teaching the people.
26 Then went the captain with the officers, and brought them without violence: for they feared the people, lest they should have been stoned.
27 And when they had brought them, they set them before the council: and the high priest asked them,
28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.
29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

May I ask, does this apply to everything? I've heard from some that we should obey our parents over God in some occasions. (I.E. don't read your Bible if they tell you not too) Or for wives, don't go to church if you're told not to by your husband. I've even heard people say to obey government if they tell you to disobey God, etc. What are we to obey? God's Commandments or man's commandments? Is it rebellious and ungodly to disobey your parents in order to obey a command of God? Is it wrong for you to die at the hands of government like the martyrs of old because you would not simply disobey God? Which authority is highest?

• Members
Acts 5:
25 Then came one and told them, saying, Behold, the men whom ye put in prison are standing in the temple, and teaching the people.
26 Then went the captain with the officers, and brought them without violence: for they feared the people, lest they should have been stoned.
27 And when they had brought them, they set them before the council: and the high priest asked them,
28 Saying, Did not we straitly command you that ye should not teach in this name? and, behold, ye have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this man's blood upon us.
29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

May I ask, does this apply to everything? I've heard from some that we should obey our parents over God in some occasions. (I.E. don't read your Bible if they tell you not too) Or for wives, don't go to church if you're told not to by your husband. I've even heard people say to obey government if they tell you to disobey God, etc. What are we to obey? God's Commandments or man's commandments? Is it rebellious and ungodly to disobey your parents in order to obey a command of God? Is it wrong for you to die at the hands of government like the martyrs of old because you would not simply disobey God? Which authority is highest?

I believe in this case the more important thing is to honor parents rather than submit to them all the time - let me explain this part first...

When you are still a child or teen, you're under authority of your parents and by right should listen to what they tell you to do. But how about when you reach adulthood - esp. when you get married? Not under their authority any longer, but then the most important part is to honor them - just as you did when you were younger.

I've came from a pre-dominantly non-Christian country (where even professing Christians are in the minority) where it is the norm for many Christians to be first-generation believers - the family typically worship traditional folk religions. Some parents don't allow their believing children to be baptized, or even attend church, or force their children to attend pagan funeral rites when a family member dies. To say "no" requires a lot of courage.

The key here when dealing with parents or authority when coming to things of God is - I guess we all know that we must obey God #1, then others. But "disobey" in a respectful way that does not defy their authority.

When the Apostles were not told to preach in the name of Jesus, the reply given was, "We ought to obey God rather than men." Nowhere did they ever defiantly say, "I don't care at all what you authorities say!"

Only by standing firm to God's Word AND honoring human authority when forced by them to disobey them (but not obeying them) will Christ be fully honored in turn.

• Members

:goodpost:

Obeying God always comes first, but as was pointed out, this should be done with a heart of love for God and not out of defiance. One can still be respectful of authorities, parents, spouses and such even if their obedience to God causes them to be at difference with them.

All that said, one must always take Scripture as a whole and in context. For example, we know God wants us to know Him, to draw close to Him, and reading the Bible is one of the main avenues of doing so. If parents object to their child reading the Bible in front of the house or in a particular room of the house that doesn't mean the child should stand up and proclaim he is going to obey God rather than them and do it anyway. Better for the child to obey the parents in this matter and no longer read in those areas but rather in private. In this way they are obeying God's command to honour their parents and also obeying God in continuing to search out the Scriptures.

• Members

Ephesians 6:1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.
Ephesians 6:2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;)
Ephesians 6:3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.

I?ve heard of controversy over what ?in the Lord? stands for but, I?m willing to take this in a literal sense. If a child, youth, or teen under their parents control truly wants to have that personal relationship with God, they can find a way. I?m not condoning a tongue in cheek, obeying then, sneaking. I say a child, youth, or teen can offer something gratifying to the parent in return for the youth's desire to honor God.

Give the parents something honorable and sincere and God will be pleased.

John 8:29 And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him.