• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Your original denomination

What denomination were you raised in?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What denomination were you raised in?

• None
    • Other
    • Assemblies of God
    • Methodist
    • Pentecostal
    • Catholic
    • Episcopalian
    • Lutheran
    • Baptist
    • Presbyterian

• Members

I had a couple of young men walk up the drive this summer. Before they got to the house I said, "Are you LDS? They looked pretty shocked that I had them pegged before they opened their mouths.

I was shocked to see that they are going door to door with the KJV. My understanding is that they are growing at a phenomenal rate right now. It makes me realize that I'm doing next to NOTHING to stop it either. Lord, please set me on fire.

• Members

Several years back, 15 or 20 years, they were some of them come thru here, and yes they converted some, we have 2 churches of them with in 30 mile of my small community. Before that we had none of them.

The old devil has many helpers and they have sweet speaking voices and those winning ways.

May the Lord Bless,
Jerry808

"Let not your heart be troubled"
John 14:1 (KJV)

• Members

Indeed, the Mormon religion is growing fast. Unlike many professing Christians, a good many Mormons are very serious about their faith. Young men go right into missionary work when they graduate high school; as do some women today.

They still use the KJV, they offer "free" copies often on TV and elsewhere. The catch is, they want your name, address and phone number so they can follow up on you and send you actual Mormon literature as well.

One good thing I can say about the door-to-door Mormons is they are very polite and when you let them know you're not interested, they don't get pushy; as I've noticed JWs and Methodists try to do.

I've lived in this small town a few years now and not a single person from one of the five Christian churches in town has ever knocked on my door or been witnessing around town. However, Mormons and JWs, both from out of town, have been by at least four or five times. That's a shame.

• Members

Reminds me of the Charismatics. They love to quote Scripture and cite Scripture and tell their followers to read it for themselves.

Of course, they don't point out they generally misquote the Scripture or take it completely out of context or add their own private interpretation to it.

I don't know if you've ever heard of Morris Cerullo or not, (I haven't heard of him in years myself), but he used to be a big-name Charismatic preacher. Someone gave me a KJV Spiritual Warfare Bible he put out. After I became mature enough in the Lord to separate out the Charismatic stuff, I found that Bible to be very easy to read and the study helps very good. It's such a shame he had to pollute such an otherwise fine Bible with that Charismatic garbage. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

I was raised in non-denominational and mainline Presbyterian churches. Sadly both churches assumed I was saved. I hardly heard any gospel.

During one year of false profession of faith I attended a neo-Evangelical Methodist church. After salvation I left it quickly.

I got to know the IFBs by Way of Life Literature. My church pastor even personally knows David Cloud!

• Members

That is well worth saying twice. :D

Were you raised in the Primitive Baptist Church?

I believe it is rather neat for a person to be raised in the wrong church, but yet find their way out to the true New Testament Church. For it seems many once they are taught something, nothing will change them.

• Members

I can't remember what Church I went to as a child. In my teen years I attended a Primitive Baptist Church with my grandmother, but they have a hope of being saved, and I believed I could know that I was saved. I spent the majority of my life in a Southern Baptist Church and I was Southern Baptist to the bone. One day a few years ago, I was 32 years old at the time, I arrived for Sunday School and I had new a teacher. The preacher had appointed a woman to teach the class and she was using a MV Bible. I was already set back by having a female teacher then she started reading scripture that wasn't in sync with my KJV. This didn't sit right with me(little voice in my head said "this ain't right"). All my life I had used the KJV and really had no idea of the modern versions. I started looking into that and then the next week they had a box of Holman Standard Version Bibles and said we would be using them for Sunday School from now on. That was my last Sunday at that Church. I was clueless as to what a true New Testament Church is, but I found the clues and I'm not clueless anymore. I'm an Independent Fundamental King James Bible Believing Baptist.

• Members

Sad to see the SBC having gone the way it has. It sure has took the liberal road for the past several years.

What surprises me more is some of those within the local SBC who go right along with this who use to be pretty solid. I suppose Billy Graham has been the biggest influence on the SBC. But to, I understand each church can be quite a bit different.

I did talk with an elderly man about 4 years back who was part of a country SBC, from what he said they held to the old ways pretty close. But he blew it all when he told me he and his wife's favorite preacher was Jimmy Swagger, they would not miss him for nothing and would love to go see him in person.

• Members

There are still some Southern Baptists who still preach the gospel boldly, and really emphasize "repentance" on it.

Heard of Paul Washer? He's a SBC missionary. In 2002 he preached to an SBC youth conference (of size 5000), and warned them to examine themselves whether they were in the faith, and to stop living like the world. (I don't think he was invited back to preach after that)

I liked the part where he highlighted the problem of Evangelical Christianity today: they teach a strait gate to heaven (Jesus is the only way), which is correct, but they teach a broad path to that gate (means you can live any lifestyle you want, just profess Christianity).

Although he's a Calvinist (caution), praise God because at least there are still SBC people concerned for the salvation of who-knows how many people who have false profession of faith!

And I was shocked that some singers like Britney Spears and Jessica Simpson were raised SBC as well.