• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do Methodist belives they can lose salvation?

Guest Guest

• Members
I merely choose an ancient way of practicing the faith, were as you choose a more modern method.
My method of practicing the faith comes directly from Scripture. Your practice, my friend, is the more modern method. And maybe you should post all those "unbiased" historical references you claim to have about early church practices so we can all see. BTW, you need to re-read the entire stories about the "family" baptisms. You'll notice all those in the household heard the gospel and believed, then were baptized. Common sense ("reason") should tell you an infant can't understand enough to believe, therefore would not be baptized. And with that, I'm done.

• Members

My method of practicing the faith comes directly from Scripture. Your practice, my friend, is the more modern method. And maybe you should post all those "unbiased" historical references you claim to have about early church practices so we can all see. BTW, you need to re-read the entire stories about the "family" baptisms. You'll notice all those in the household heard the gospel and believed, then were baptized. Common sense ("reason") should tell you an infant can't understand enough to believe, therefore would not be baptized. And with that, I'm done.

You were done way before this. It always get's rough when facts get in the way of what one wants to believe.

• Members

You were done way before this. It always get's rough when facts get in the way of what one wants to believe.

Scripture supports what Mitch has stated even as it stands against your position. The facts are in the Bible and it's very sad when some prefer the traditions of men to the Word of God.

• Members

Scripture supports what Mitch has stated even as it stands against your position. The facts are in the Bible and it's very sad when some prefer the traditions of men to the Word of God.

True, the facts are in the Bible, yet many will not accept them.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

It is that belief that our works are as filthy rags that cause people to DO NOTHING. Yet in James, we find it is "not by faith alone", we must have works. So where are the Baptist Hospitals? Some of the local baptist churches in my area think that having a car show will win souls to Christ. Yes, they even have the country band under tent for an outside service to show how much "fun" Baptists have. Another thing about Baptists is that they separate themselves from the rest of the Christian body. Isn't that a bit haughty? Our church (independent fundamental baptist), brags that they are not like those other churches, just like that Pharisee that prayed in the temple that he thanked God that he was not like that publican over there.
I'm not trying to criticize, but this is my observation and I do attend a fundamental baptist independent church.

Donillo

• Members

It is that belief that our works are as filthy rags that cause people to DO NOTHING. Yet in James, we find it is "not by faith alone", we must have works. So where are the Baptist Hospitals? Some of the local baptist churches in my area think that having a car show will win souls to Christ. Yes, they even have the country band under tent for an outside service to show how much "fun" Baptists have. Another thing about Baptists is that they separate themselves from the rest of the Christian body. Isn't that a bit haughty? Our church (independent fundamental baptist), brags that they are not like those other churches, just like that Pharisee that prayed in the temple that he thanked God that he was not like that publican over there.
I'm not trying to criticize, but this is my observation and I do attend a fundamental baptist independent church.

Donillo

Those have been persuaded that it is possible to lose their salvation don't fully understand the redemptive process. Scripture clearly teaches us that when we were dead in trespasses and sin that we were without hope but in due time Christ died for the ungodly. We need the blood of Christ to save us and to keep us from falling. For a person to lose his salvation they would have to erase what Jesus accomplished by His death, burial and resurrection. It simply is not possible. Edited by lettheredeemedsayso

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I know that I am replying to an old question.  However, I want to address the question "what is a Free Methodist".

The Free Methodists split from the United Methodists mid-1800's.  They had become liberal even back then.  

I was saved in a Free Methodist church many years ago.  When I moved, there was no Free Methodist church nearby, so we attended and became members of the Nazarene Church which has similar doctrines.  The focus is on entire sanctification and holiness.  Some take that to mean works or effort done in our flesh, but we all know the flesh will fail us.  Some in the churches I am speaking about do fall into that error; it is so easy to do.  Yet, I've been in an IFB church for 10 years and see the same thing - legalism and works so prominent.  Again, so easy to fall into that trap.  

Back to Free Methodists - they are Wesleyan in doctrine and belief.  Yes, they also believe one can lose salvation.

• Members

I know that I am replying to an old question.  However, I want to address the question "what is a Free Methodist".

The Free Methodists split from the United Methodists mid-1800's.  They had become liberal even back then.  

I was saved in a Free Methodist church many years ago.  When I moved, there was no Free Methodist church nearby, so we attended and became members of the Nazarene Church which has similar doctrines.  The focus is on entire sanctification and holiness.  Some take that to mean works or effort done in our flesh, but we all know the flesh will fail us.  Some in the churches I am speaking about do fall into that error; it is so easy to do.  Yet, I've been in an IFB church for 10 years and see the same thing - legalism and works so prominent.  Again, so easy to fall into that trap.  

Back to Free Methodists - they are Wesleyan in doctrine and belief.  Yes, they also believe one can lose salvation.

A church preaching standards, & trying to get its members to hold to God's standards, is not working to be saved. Its obeying God, while living godly standards.

Many churches & many Christians hates standards, & refuses to live up to God's standards after having been saved them anyone living up to God's standards they claim their trying to be saved by their standards, works.

Legalism is trying to be saved by works. We are saved only by grace though faith, not of self, not of works, its a free gift.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A church preaching standards, & trying to get its members to hold to God's standards, is not working to be saved. Its obeying God, while living godly standards.

A church preaching standards is not preaching the Gospel (good news), they are under the law.  The letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.  If people are being fed by anointed preaching, they will live as God wants them to - that is, those who choose to.  Same thing with brow-beating about tithing - if people are being fed and operating in the Spirit - they'll give cheerfully.  Sadly, in our own IFB church, the pastor rules and spirit is stifled.  It seems pastors don't trust God to work in the members - doesn't god give all spiritual gifts to edify the body????

Many churches & many Christians hates standards, & refuses to live up to God's standards after having been saved them anyone living up to God's standards they claim their trying to be saved by their standards, works.

Legalism is trying to be saved by works. We are saved only by grace though faith, not of self, not of works, its a free gift.

• Administrators

It's not true that a church preaching standards is preaching the law. The NT is full of standards for those under God's grace.  IF a church preaches that those standards are necessary for salvation, then they are preaching the law.  I totally agree that if the preaching is anointed, the listeners who obey will live as God wants them to.  Pastors who browbeat their congregants are indeed wrong, and most of their preaching is likely not anointed.  Pastors are to preach the whole counsel, and that includes standards.  However, they need to allow the Holy Spirit to work in the lives of the people.

I just wanted to add about Free Methodists - I'm not familiar with those in the US, but those in Northern Ireland believe in eternal security. 

• Members

I see, you hate God's standards while abusing His wonderful grace that He offers us.

Remember, God will not be mocked.

Ga 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
Ga 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.

• Members

Donillo

Trouble is that Baptists don't separate themselves from the rest of the Christian body.  In our town we have 2 Baptist churches that are in churches together.  Our church is the only one in the town which is not in Churches Together.

I met someone who was deacon in our church up to two years ago when he left due to the church voting down a man he wanted for pastor.  I invited him to our carol service last Sunday afternoon.  He said his church (It was Brethren, then called itself Evangelical, now a Christian Fellowship) was uniting with the Baptists that afternoon for their carol service.  

I don't know how their service went but our church was practically full.  We had many people who had not been before, including two individuals who had just moved into the area.  

• 2 months later...