• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do Methodist belives they can lose salvation?

Guest Guest

• Members

For many years, the Salvation Army was noted for "helping" people in various ways. They did preach, but they went out and personalized it also, in helping with food, restoring homes, etc, just as the Methodist are said to do here, but THEIR SECULAR WORK GOT THE BEST OF THEM! the same thing happened to Jerry Falwell with his "Moral Majority". They did a good work--a great work, but they left God out of it, and it destroyed their effectiveness in the ministry.

Yes, Methodists DO believe that one can lose his salvation, as do Pentecostals, Nazarenes, and nearly all the others. Eternal Security affects the very core of our being, it HAS to be all of grace or it is no good at all. If we cannot save ourselves, how foolish we are to think we can keep ourselves saved!! It is matter of salvation vs works, period.

By the way, if anyone has ever doubted their salvation it is because they are looking at their works, and not at God's grace. Ask anyone that has went through a time of doubt, and if they are honest, they will say something like "I saw myself as a wretched mess, and knew that I must not be worthy of God's salvation", and they are right in saying it, but they are not saved or lost because they deserve it, but because Christ obtains it for them--and He would deserve salvation if it were needed!

Anyway, please don't be confused by all the good things people do, their righteousness is as filthy rags without Christ.

• Members

Please understand that we did not hide that we were a church group and the friendships we created with the people we were helping offered us multiple opportunities to share the gospel. Our agenda was not explicitly "soul winning" but only to share God's love as Jesus taught. I don't understand how that is "filthy rags". How do you expect someone to worry about their eternal soul when they have to choose between food and medicine and their floor is collapsing beneath their feet? As Christians we are called to love one another and care for the "least of these." There is a lot more to it than simply "soul winning." The Great Commission is one verse. Not to say it's not important, but there are many more about love and taking care of your fellow man.

• Members

Please understand that we did not hide that we were a church group and the friendships we created with the people we were helping offered us multiple opportunities to share the gospel. Our agenda was not explicitly "soul winning" but only to share God's love as Jesus taught. I don't understand how that is "filthy rags". How do you expect someone to worry about their eternal soul when they have to choose between food and medicine and their floor is collapsing beneath their feet? As Christians we are called to love one another and care for the "least of these." There is a lot more to it than simply "soul winning." The Great Commission is one verse. Not to say it's not important, but there are many more about love and taking care of your fellow man.

You make it sound as if the poor and needy can't be bothered with the Gospel. What is of more value, getting right with God or having a plate full of food or a bottle of medicine or a nice floor?

The Gospel has been spread around the world seeing millions upon millions who were poor and needy come to Christ.

There is nothing wrong with helping the poor and needy but they need the Gospel now for today is the day of salvation; none of us are promised tomorrow.

Also, according to Scripture, our absolute best works are yet as filthy rags in God's eyes because such is yet tainted with sin. No works can make us right with God.

• Members

You make it sound as if the poor and needy can't be bothered with the Gospel. What is of more value, getting right with God or having a plate full of food or a bottle of medicine or a nice floor?

The Gospel has been spread around the world seeing millions upon millions who were poor and needy come to Christ.

There is nothing wrong with helping the poor and needy but they need the Gospel now for today is the day of salvation; none of us are promised tomorrow.

Also, according to Scripture, our absolute best works are yet as filthy rags in God's eyes because such is yet tainted with sin. No works can make us right with God.

Of course coming to God is important, but it does not have to be separate from providing for someone's physical needs. The poor and needy do need the Gospel, but I feel that churches often exploit them because they can be easy "wins." I am not saying that that is what you were implying, but that is my issue with some of the evangelism that many churches participate in today. I think it is best when you take care of the physical and spiritual needs at the same time and make it clear with your actions that you are coming in love. Read the verse in my signature. It is my personal belief that Jesus taught us how to share Jesus with the world.

• Members

My point is what those people were doing, a lot of it might be for naught (maybe not in this life but surely in the next since you aren't bringing a house or food with you) if they aren't soul winning and spreading the gospel at the same time. Lets be honest, if you come to Christ and are saved...your needs will be provided. If you have your full faith in our Lord you'll have food somehow and you'll have a place to sleep somehow...God will provide. If spiritual needs are met first then physical needs will follow. If physical needs are provided, the spiritual needs might or might not follow.

Edited by Durty

• Members

My point is what those people were doing, a lot of it might be for naught (maybe not in this life but surely in the next since you aren't bringing a house or food with you) if they aren't soul winning and spreading the gospel at the same time. Lets be honest, if you come to Christ and are saved...your needs will be provided. If you have your full faith in our Lord you'll have food somehow and you'll have a place to sleep somehow...God will provide. If spiritual needs are met first then physical needs will follow. If physical needs are provided, the spiritual needs might or might not follow.

:amen:

• Members

So clearly we should spend all our time "soul winning." Next time I am faced with an opportunity to minister to the needy, I think I'll just tell the hungry child and the old lady with the collapsing roof who can't afford her thyroid medication that they must not be praying hard enough. Either that or they aren't true believers. In fact, I might just tell my priest on Sunday when he asks for volunteers to tutor disadvantaged school children that we should disband the program. Obviously, if these poor children had more faith they would make straight As somehow.

• Members

So clearly we should spend all our time "soul winning." Next time I am faced with an opportunity to minister to the needy, I think I'll just tell the hungry child and the old lady with the collapsing roof who can't afford her thyroid medication that they must not be praying hard enough. Either that or they aren't true believers. In fact, I might just tell my priest on Sunday when he asks for volunteers to tutor disadvantaged school children that we should disband the program. Obviously, if these poor children had more faith they would make straight As somehow.

What is obvious is you need to learn some humility and not become offended and sarcastic when a brother in Christ is trying to kindly expound some biblical truth.

No one has said we should not help the poor and needy. What has been stated that to help the poor and needy without also sharing the Gospel is leaving them yet among the most poor and needy; that being those without Christ, destined for hell.

What good is the meal if they happen to die while eating it and they have not heard the Gospel? What good is the new roof if a storm drops it on the owner and they die not having heard the Gospel?

Help the poor and needy, YES, but do not neglect to present them that which they are most in need of, hearing the Gospel.

• Members

As I previously noted, the love that was shown and the friendships that were built provided opportunities to share the Gospel. Many of the people we were helping were already Christians. Perhaps our ministry was God's way of providing for some of their physical needs.

• Members

CPR, it is no wonder you do not grasp the spiritual side, (your "priest"?). Surely we are to help the down and out, but why not meet the greatest need of all--Jesus in their life? As John 81 has said, you meet the physical need for today, but they will need again another day; if the spiritual need is met, they have the promise of God they shall "never thirst again" or go hungry; in fact ALL their basic needs will be met, and eventually they will have no more physical needs either. And yes, if the children were taught faith, they would be better off. Edited by irishman

• Members

CPR, it is no wonder you do not grasp the spiritual side, (your "priest"?). Surely we are to help the down and out, but why not meet the greatest need of all--Jesus in their life? As John 81 has said, you meet the physical need for today, but they will need again another day; if the spiritual need is met, they have the promise of God they shall "never thirst again" or go hungry; in fact ALL their basic needs will be met, and eventually they will have no more physical needs either. And yes, if the children were taught faith, they would be better off.

Again, the love that we shared and the friendships that were built (many of which lasted long after we were gone) provided multiple opportunities to share the Gospel. I believe that that is the most effective way to share the Gospel. Also, many of the people were already Christians, and I believe that God may have been providing for them though us. With the tutoring scenario, it's another matter of building relationships. Maybe we are just misunderstanding each other, because I am not saying that we shouldn't share the Gospel and it seems that you are not saying that we shouldn't help others. I think that it is most effective to share the Gospel by first building relationships, and perhaps we have different styles. That's not necessarily a bad thing, different styles can reach different types of people.

So you see, I do grasp the spiritual side. What did you mean by (your "priest"?)?

• Members

Sorry I offended you, I am trying my best to speak in love because I've come to anger to quickly in the past. I was not angry or stricken with some sort of hate for what you/they were doing. I think those people were doing good things and should continue but in those endeavors adding soul-winning and preaching of the Gospel would have been prudent.

God Bless.

• Members

Sorry I offended you, I am trying my best to speak in love because I've come to anger to quickly in the past. I was not angry or stricken with some sort of hate for what you/they were doing. I think those people were doing good things and should continue but in those endeavors adding soul-winning and preaching of the Gospel would have been prudent.

God Bless.

You didn't offend me at all and I hope I haven't offended you either. I think this has made for some interesting discussion among Christians who may share the Gospel through different ways - not necessarily a bad thing.

May God bless you too.

• Members

The Methodist Church in our town, it does many wonderful works, yet denies God in its beliefs, its works, and how it runs its church.

Its so true, many today, even professing Christians, thinks wonderful works ='s salvation. Yet with out Christ, any and all of our works are not accepted.

The greatest thing one can do for any person, poor or rich, very popular or highly unpopular, it is to share Christ with them.

If I remember right, someone said something about receiving grace from observing the Lord's Supper. I do not see that taught in the Bible. What I see taught is that we observe the Lord's Supper in remembrance.

Lu 22:19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

1Co 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

• Members

The Methodist Church in our town, it does many wonderful works, yet denies God in its beliefs, its works, and how it runs its church.

Its so true, many today, even professing Christians, thinks wonderful works ='s salvation. Yet with out Christ, any and all of our works are not accepted.

The greatest thing one can do for any person, poor or rich, very popular or highly unpopular, it is to share Christ with them.

If I remember right, someone said something about receiving grace from observing the Lord's Supper. I do not see that taught in the Bible. What I see taught is that we observe the Lord's Supper in remembrance.

Lu 22:19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.

1Co 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

1Co 11:25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

We were not trying to earn salvation through our works, because we are saved by grace through faith. We were simply trying to love others as Jesus taught us.