• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What's wrong with Christian Rock?

• Members

[quote="MatthewDiscipleOfGod"]
I understand we all have different music tastes and you certainly have a right to dislike rock music but [b]you shouldn't try to say it's evil if others listen to it[/b].
[/quote]

That's pretty fallible logic!! The world loves sin - even many Christians love their pet sins - we shouldn't call something wrong because someone likes it! :? :freak: That doesn't fit what God says in His Word.

Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

Right, Jerry.
And I would add that it's also not right to say that if someone thinks something is evil, that it's just because they don't like it. I honestly [i]like[/i] just about all musical styles, but there are many, many that I avoid because I can't listen to them in good conscience.

• Members

[quote="Jerry"]
[quote="MatthewDiscipleOfGod"]I understand we all have different music tastes and you certainly have a right to dislike rock music but [b]you shouldn't try to say it's evil if others listen to it[/b].
[/quote]

That's pretty fallible logic!! The world loves sin - even many Christians love their pet sins - we shouldn't call something wrong because someone likes it! :? :freak: That doesn't fit what God says in His Word.

Ephesians 5:11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.[/quote]

Thank for your response Jerry. Just so I am clear here is the logic I propose:

1. The Bible does not say that any music style is evil.
2. Verses in Psalms would have me believe that instruments such as drums are not evil.
3. Therefore Christian shouldn't call all rock music, or at least all music that uses drums, evil. It doesn't matter if they dislike the music. That is a personal taste.

I have been involved with missions in countries where tribes still live off the land and no one has a TV. Would you tell them to stop using drums even though it's now being used to praise God with hymns of praise and worship?

• Members

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; [b](Ephesians 5:19)[/b]

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. [b](Colossians 3:16)[/b]

Adding some "Christian" words to "rock" music is simply "Christianizing" worldly rock music. Rock music appeals to the flesh--"psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs" nourish the soul and spirit".

• Members

[quote="MatthewDiscipleOfGod"]
I have been involved with missions in countries where tribes still live off the land and no one has a TV. [b]Would you tell them to stop using drums even though it's now being used to praise God with hymns of praise and worship[/b]?
[/quote]

Yes, if I was a missionary, sent out from a church that was against CCM and drums, I would certainly expect them not to use drums in those churches that are started through my church.

By the way, there are many solid IFB churches in Africa, India, Nepal, and other places that DO stand against drums in worship. What you win them with you win them to. If you start a church without something, it is harder for it to creep in. Many of these Africans, East Indians, Nepalians, etc. see the effect of the paganism on their culture, see the effect of the voodoo (etc.) drums in their society, and choose to stand against it when they get coverted to the true God.

• Members

[quote="Jerry"]
[quote="MatthewDiscipleOfGod"]I have been involved with missions in countries where tribes still live off the land and no one has a TV. [b]Would you tell them to stop using drums even though it's now being used to praise God with hymns of praise and worship[/b]?
[/quote]

Yes, if I was a missionary, sent out from a church that was against CCM and drums, I would certainly expect them not to use drums in those churches that are started through my church.

By the way, there are many solid IFB churches in Africa, India, Nepal, and other places that DO stand against drums in worship. What you win them with you win them to. If you start a church without something, it is harder for it to creep in. Many of these Africans, East Indians, Nepalians, etc. see the effect of the paganism on their culture, see the effect of the voodoo (etc.) drums in their society, and choose to stand against it when they get coverted to the true God.[/quote]

Hold up just a second. I thought drums were all right, but rhythms derived from rock & roll, blues, and jazz were bad. Like, is it bad when orchestras use drums too? :?

• Members

That's where I (and my church) stand - I know not everyone here agrees with that stand. I was just stating that many who do agree with that same stand also expect the missionaries and foreign churches they support to have the same standard.

Regardless of where you stand on drums, the majority here would at least agree that rock music/CCM is wrong - AND any type of music that actually uses a rock beat - with or without drums - is wrong.

• Members

Wouldn't the biggest factor be what the beat is for?

Some beats are obviously intended to illicit an emotional response that "makes" many people want to dance erotically, or brings about a fighting attitude, etc.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

well let me ask this question then taking the flipside

say there were a group of people and they had an organ. They played the organ and made sexual dance movements to the sound and music of this organ. the dance went all over the world and everyone is aware of this sexual dance to the music of the organ. So is the music now evil because when people hear it it is affiliated with a sexual dance. Should we judge things because of the way people missuse them?

I hope no one is offended by this but instead sees the logic behind it

• Members

Can you honestly say they look like Christians? Are they dressed in modest apparel? Do they show the fruit of joy or peace in their faces? Can you tell they are Christians, separate from the world? They look more like rock and roll stars, goths or pagans than they do Christians.
tobymac.jpg
kutless_group%20publicity%20photo.jpg
skillet.jpg