• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What's wrong with Christian Rock?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Even without the lyrics, the rhythm (i.e. the fashion in which the beat is emphasized) is rooted in witchcraft of the forms found among African natives, the Voodoo cults of Haiti, Druidic cultures of ancient Europe (e.g. the Beatles used this form) and many others.

A very interesting book on this is [u][b]Dancing With Demons[/b][/u], available from Chick Pubs.

• Members

[quote="pneu-engine"]
Even without the lyrics, the rhythm (i.e. the fashion in which the beat is emphasized) is rooted in witchcraft of the forms found among African natives, the Voodoo cults of Haiti, Druidic cultures of ancient Europe (e.g. the Beatles used this form) and many others.

A very interesting book on this is [u][b]Dancing With Demons[/b][/u], available from Chick Pubs.
[/quote]

Okay so the rhythm is bad. But really, why is that such a bad thing? Is the rhythm going to influence people to sin? I'm seriously curious. :?:

• Members

Hi Holly, :D

So happy to hear that you are honestly curious. There are serious in-depth studies done on the [b]NON[/b]-neutrality of the instrumental portion of music, i.e. the non-lyric portion. Hopefully the admins and mods can point us to some of the threads on this board wherein it was discussed.

• Members

Hi Holly--

Glad you asked about Christian (?) Rock music. First of all, rock music isn't "Christian". Simply adding some "Christian" lyrics to the world's rock music, doesn't make it "Christian" any more than being born in a bakery doesn't make one a bagel! Music is NOT neutral--the music must match the message.

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; [b](Ephesians 5:19)[/b]

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. [b](Colossians 3:16)[/b]

Check out the list of articles on this link.

http://www.wayoflife.org/fbns/fbns-index/musicfbns.htm

• Members

[quote="pneu-engine"]
Hi Holly, :D

So happy to hear that you are honestly curious. There are serious in-depth studies done on the [b]NON[/b]-neutrality of the instrumental portion of music, i.e. the non-lyric portion. Hopefully the admins and mods can point us to some of the threads on this board wherein it was discussed.
[/quote]

Ah okay. That would be nice. If you have any links to external websites, those would be welcome too. :)

Guest Guest

The Bible tells us to be modest, there is no question of that. Rock music is [i]not[/i] modest. The music itself is all about sex and rebellion. Most music will make our bodies want to move. That's perfectly natural. One of the most revealing things about rock music is that the body parts that start to move first are the very ones to which the Lord doesn't want us to draw attention! Compare that with the body's reaction to other styles of music. Most rock music also uses a breathy, sexy-sounding vocal technique, or else shouting/screaming (violent sounds). The music, aside from lyrics, is unacceptable for a Christian. If we put Christian lyrics to rock music, the message of the music will contradict (I would even say "nullify") the message of the words.

Back to lyrics: the first thing beginning composers are taught in in vocal writing is that music should fit the words. It isn't coincidence that certain styles of music tend to have similar lyrical topics. It is because the style of the music best complements those types of lyrics. Rock singers dress immodestly and sing about sex and violence because that is what fits with the music. Christianity [i]doesn't[/i] fit with rock music.

• Members

[quote="termite"]
The Bible tells us to be modest, there is no question of that. Rock music is [i]not[/i] modest. The music itself is all about sex and rebellion. Most music will make our bodies want to move. That's perfectly natural. One of the most revealing things about rock music is that the body parts that start to move first are the very ones to which the Lord doesn't want us to draw attention! Compare that with the body's reaction to other styles of music. Most rock music also uses a breathy, sexy-sounding vocal technique, or else shouting/screaming (violent sounds). The music, aside from lyrics, is unacceptable for a Christian. If we put Christian lyrics to rock music, the message of the music will contradict (I would even say "nullify") the message of the words.

Back to lyrics: the first thing beginning composers are taught in in vocal writing is that music should fit the words. It isn't coincidence that certain styles of music tend to have similar lyrical topics. It is because the style of the music best complements those types of lyrics. Rock singers dress immodestly and sing about sex and violence because that is what fits with the music. Christianity [i]doesn't[/i] fit with rock music.
[/quote]

Is this the same with Christian Rock music? :?

Guest Guest

With "Christian" rock music, the only thing that is changed is the lyrics. Most CCM performers even dress like their secular counterparts.

Our bodies don't respond to lyrics of songs. Our mind does that. But our bodies do respond to the music itself. Music without words affects our bodies without any conscious effort from the listener. To change only the words of music doesn't negate the effect of the music itself. Remember, secular rock and roll and everything that goes along with it came first, then Christians started to use it to get more people, especially young people, in the church doors. But when they did that, they only changed the lyrics of the music, and it's more than the lyrics that are wrong. I guess what I'm trying to say is that good words don't undo bad music.

• Members

Most excellent, termite. :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Also, following your thinking and line of thought on the rhythm of music:::: I've noticed many times the effect that a truly Godly song or hymn will have on me as it promotes adoration in my heart to the LORD. Some examples of these songs are:::

[i][b]I Bowed on My Knees and Cried Holy

Holy, Holy, Holy

Holy Is the LORD

Great God of Wonders

'Tis Midnight and on Olive's Brow

And Can It Be

How Can It Be

His Way With Thee

Who Is He In Yonder Stall?

What Did He Do?

Lift Your Glad Voices[/b][/i]

These are just a few, and there are oodles others. Where CCM and ordinary rock music get the body to swaying, these songs will do the very opposite, but will melt the heart of a penitent sinner and drop him his knees in abject humility. [i][b]WOW!!! What a difference.[/b][/i]

• Members

[quote="pneu-engine"]
Most excellent, termite. :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Also, following your thinking and line of thought on the rhythm of music:::: I've noticed many times the effect that a truly Godly song or hymn will have on me as it promotes adoration in my heart to the LORD. Some examples of these songs are:::

[i][b]I Bowed on My Knees and Cried Holy

Holy, Holy, Holy

Holy Is the LORD

Great God of Wonders

'Tis Midnight and on Olive's Brow

And Can It Be

How Can It Be

His Way With Thee

Who Is He In Yonder Stall?

What Did He Do?

Lift Your Glad Voices[/b][/i]

These are just a few, and there are oodles others. Where CCM and ordinary rock music get the body to swaying, these songs will do the very opposite, but will melt the heart of a penitent sinner and drop him his knees in abject humility. [i][b]WOW!!! What a difference.[/b][/i]
[/quote]

I have also noticed the difference. It seems like Southern Gospel hymns have a tendency to convict while CCM has a tendency to do pretty much nothing. I am definitely for Southern Gospel only in the worship service.

• Members

Kindly and gently here...

Those songs pneu-engine posted there are not Southern Gospel. They are traditional hymns.

Southern Gospel
Country Gospel
Gospel (as in black culture)
CCM and
Christian Rock

are all different kinds or styles of music totally separate and different from traditional hymnody. Now you can take a hymn and sing it in one of those styles listed above and it will sound like it belongs but those songs are considered traditional.

• Members

[quote="Bakershalfdozen"]
Kindly and gently here...

Those songs pneu-engine posted there are not Southern Gospel. They are traditional hymns.

Southern Gospel
Country Gospel
Gospel (as in black culture)
CCM and
Christian Rock

are all different kinds or styles of music totally separate and different from traditional hymnody. Now you can take a hymn and sing it in one of those styles listed above and it will sound like it belongs but those songs are considered traditional.
[/quote]

Eh well I'm still for Southern Gospel! :frog