• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Do Teachers Make?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

When I went to school calculators were only allowed for the advanced math students in high school.

Today they begin using calculators in elementary school.

and they wonder why cashiers at stores cannot count change correctly. I have seen this hpaaen.
Faithgirl

• Members

My Dad and I often comment about this! The older cashiers tend to make the change quickly. Many of the younger ones will not only have to look at the machine which tells them how much change is due several times, but they also have trouble determining which coins they need to add up to what their machine tells them to give you! :roll:

• Members

Having worked as a cashier, that's not as simple as it sounds. When you're cashing out person after person, it can become quite taxing on your mind, especially when you have no room to make an error or you'll be fired.

I would look at the screen several times just to make sure that I read the correct numbers (I have a tendency to switch numbers around) and to verify that I remembered the amount correctly as I counted it back (I've also been known to read the wrong line and count out the amount on the order total line rather the change line.

That said...I can do all that a lot quicker than most other people....probably because I have been trained well in math.

• Members

To tell you the truth, it's very, very rare that I go to a checkout line with a guy running the register. I have never had a male at checkout that was anything but slow to very slow.

I'm not exactly sure how I do it, and it irritates my wife that I'm so good at it, but I can look at the checkers and tell which ones are good and quick and which ones are not so good and slow just from a quick look at their faces.

• Members

I believe that!

I've seen managers that I work with interviewing people and I've been able to tell who will turn out to be good workers and who will not...probably better than the managers. Like you, I'm not exactly sure how I can do it, but I've been probably 80% accurate.

• Members

I have taught math in the public school system and have taught every elementary grade except Kindergarten. My mother, step-father, and husband also currently teach in the public school. Calculators are not used on a daily basis. They are used occasionally (maybe once a month) and only when the focus of the lesson is on problem solving. I am in my late 30's. If you compare math curriculum that was taught when I was in grade school to what is being currently taught to children in public school you would be amazed. The expectation for a 5th grader includes things like the mean, median, mode, geometry, prealgebra, as well as difficult problem solving. Addition, Subtraction, division, and multiplication, fractions, and decimals are all also expected to be mastered. I do not agree with many aspects of public education but if you take public school curriculum and compare it to A Beka or Bob Jones you will find that it is not as difficult as public school curriculum. I have assessed many homeschooled children taught with this curriculum who were not where they needed to be in mathematics and/or reading levels. Writing (not handwriting) is another area that is not addressed very strongly in those curriculums. That being said it is hard to generalize any one particular type of education b/c it depends on so many factors. I have assessed and watched a handful of homeschooled individuals over the years who were not educated as they should have been. Their education was very hit and miss and they very far behind the expectations of an average public school student. Does that mean all homeschooling is bad? No - I have assessed others who were homeschooled magnificantly. I do not mean to sound mean spirited. It really bothers me when people bash something without really knowing the facts. I been involved in homeschooling, public education, and christian school education. They all have their weaknesses.

• Members

The public schools I am personally familiar with not only present more difficult or advanced concepts to students earlier, they also rush through it.

Rather than teach a new concept, practice it, review it and make sure it's learned and then go on to the next new concept; today they present a new concept, give them work to do using that new concept and then introduce the next new concept.

The brighter kids tend to do okay, the average kids have a rough go of it, and the below average kids get lost.

One thing about homeschooling, a parent can adjust their teaching according to the childs abilities. If the "5th grade" child is ready and able to do "7th grade" reading and writing they can advance to that. If they are stuggling with the math, they can either take extra time with what they are doing or even "fall back" to previously covered material and get a better grasp of it.

• 5 months later...

Sad to say, but most IFB Christian school teachers are high school drop outs working for next to nothing. Of course there are exceptions, but one stupid teacher can stunt your child's progress.

Janine S.
:sing:

• Members

Sad to say, but most IFB Christian school teachers are high school drop outs working for next to nothing. Of course there are exceptions, but one stupid teacher can stunt your child's progress.

Janine S.
_______________________________ :sing:

Janine, For someone so outspoken about homeschooling, your logic is a bit flawed there. Do you think a "Stupid" (i.e. never did real great in school) parent can and should still homeschool?