• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Soon After Salvation...

• Members

I agree with Mitch and Samer.

The Bible indicates that when folks were saved, they were then baptized. Nowhere does it stipulate there is to be a waiting period or that the new convert must prove their salvation before being baptized.

True enough, false conversions due to various unbiblical methods and goals, is a problem, but that's separate from the issue of baptism.

When a person is led to Christ, part of that is explaining the importance of baptism, what it means and hopefully the reading of some Scripture which clearly shows folks being baptized immediately following conversion.

I agree that no one should be forced into accepting baptism, but the importance of baptism, and the timing of biblical baptism should be presented to them so they would hopefully desire to be baptised at that time.

• Members

Like Michelle, it was a long time after I was born again before I was baptised.

I didn't know or understand the importance of baptism when I was saved.

I was born again in September 1981 and it wasn't until I finally (by the grace of God) was lead to a Baptist pastor that I was baptised in July 1991. So it was nearly 10 years after I was born again before I was baptised.

This is among the many reasons I believe DISCIPLESHIP is so important. Along with the proper presentation of the Gospel, it's so important for us (Christians) to do more than just present the Gospel and "get them saved".

• Members

Thank you Samer,

The only answer is what saith the scriptures, not what we or a deacon thinks is "wise".

I don't care how many at Hyles were herded through like cattle.

There is no such thing in the NT as a Christian that hasn't been baptised. There is not one example of any one delaying baptism for a disciplship class, for more understanding or for more anything.

People that accept the Lord Jesus as Saviour should be baptized asap. We have a baptistry in our church that is always ready to baptize.

When someone walks the aisle to be saved, the person that deals with them will go through the verses on baptism and encourage them to go now and be baptized.

We don't haul off children while they are crying, but we do and have baptised many the same day they made profession of faith.

Did they all stick around our church?

No.

But where did the Bible say that I should baptize only those that are going to "make the grade" and be conformed to the image of the IFB stereotype?

God looks on the heart, man looks at the outward appearance, that's why men won't baptize according to the Biblical norms.

The same hour.

Immeadiately.

What doth hindereth me to be baptized?

A deacon board? A tradition? An opinion? An unwillingness to be labled a "Hylesite"?

Who cares what a deacon board's policy is, or what you or I think, or what Jack Hyles did or his school still does?

I pray the Lord it isn't me that hinders some one to be baptized.

God bless,

Calvary

• Members

Why should we expect them to be obedient to discipleship classes if they haven't been obedient to baptism? It's a sad thing to me when a new Christian is excited and wants to be baptized and gets turned away.

I was on this end of the scale. Some pastors are so scared to baptize people that are not truly saved, that they put their own 'laws' into it. I was not allowed to get baptised till 13(pastors rule). Do I think that was wrong, Yes. It is also wrong for a grown person who has been going to church for a few weeks, knows what salvation and baptism mean and they get saved to make them wait till a descipleship class is done before baptizing them. Do I think they should be baptized the day they are saved, maybe for some, but many times not.

• Members

Actually, as a believer in Jesus Christ we have already been baptized - with the Holy Spirit (Rom.8:9-11)...which would lead one to also be baptized in water. The baptism of the Spirit is the baptism that the greatest water-baptizer prophesied, for although John baptized with water, Jesus was prophesied by John to "baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire" (Matt.3:11). And Jesus has baptized us with the Spirit according to His promise to the apostles just prior to His ascension (Acts 1:8; cf. Acts 2). Since we have the important baptism, the baptism of power and reality wherein God the Holy Spirit lives in us, it begs the question of what point there may now be to being water baptized. And as any genuine believer should and would do is to be obedient to the ordinance set out in scripture and to be baptized with water whenever the chance is available (Acts 2:41; 8:12; 16:30-33; 18:8). We must also understand that the extent that a person is "guilted into it" or actually believes it has something to do with salvation or spirituality (.....an answer of a "good conscience" toward God...1 Pet. 3:21), the negative spiritual consequences will be there - it's just a matter of degrees.

Love,
Madeline

• Members

A person, of any age, must be able to understand salvation before they can be saved. If and when they are old enough to understand salvation and they accept Christ, being biblically born again, they are also old enough (capable) of understanding the concept of being baptised upon their being born again.

• Members

One ofthe problems in many Baptist Churchs is "Easy Believism" We need to remember that salvation is of the Lord. We must be sensitive to the leadership of the Holy Spirit. We must let God work. We are the messenger and the Lord is the one who saves.

Joh 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Guest Guest

I would guess that it's when the person is ready.

Acts 8:36 -And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
vs.37- And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
vs.38 -And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

It seems though that most new believers would want to be baptized as soon as possible unless they are very shy and fear audiences.

Wil

• Members
Should a person be baptized?

I know pastors who want to baptize immediately and others who want the new Christian to "know what is going on". Which one are you?

I know shortly after I got saved the Holy Ghost was the one who dealt with me about being baptized and joining the NT church here. My pastor never came to me. I came to him and he said I needed to present myself to the congregation for them to approve of whether they would authorize baptizing me or not. I gave my testimony to them and presented myself for membership and then they voted based on my testimony.

The only part my pastor had in the matter was the actual baptizing itself.

I really didn't understand much except that my sins had been forgiven and that my next step, according to the direction of the Holy Ghost, was to be baptized and serve within that church in whatever way he deemed pleasing to him. The understanding came several years after the act of faith.

• Administrators

When our pastor teaches on witnessing, he emphasizes the fact that, after we have led someone to the Lord, we need to teach that person about baptism as the first step of obedience. Not as a pressure, but as part of scripture. I know of churches where they wait for 6 months to a year to "make sure" the person is saved, and many times they never get baptized...they just kind of fade away from church. That's a grave thing!

I'm not for the herding mentality, and I do think people need to understand what they are doing, but it should be taught to them by the person who leads them to the Lord. Nothing can give assurance of salvation like obedience!

• Members
When our pastor teaches on witnessing, he emphasizes the fact that, after we have led someone to the Lord, we need to teach that person about baptism as the first step of obedience. Not as a pressure, but as part of scripture. I know of churches where they wait for 6 months to a year to "make sure" the person is saved, and many times they never get baptized...they just kind of fade away from church. That's a grave thing!

I'm not for the herding mentality, and I do think people need to understand what they are doing, but it should be taught to them by the person who leads them to the Lord. Nothing can give assurance of salvation like obedience!

:amen: